Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#1 2008-10-28 05:55:12

**_jamesrowe_**

High Quality Video Transmission

Hi,

I am a connect Administrator in the UK. We have been asked if it is possible to add a high quality live video/audio stream into a connect session (nopt the normal camera and voice pod). I assume I would have to use some type of live flash media encoder but I do not know where to even start. Does anyone have any hints/tips on this? I also think I will have to use the VP6 codec not the H.264.

Has anyone managed to do this?

#2 2008-10-28 08:03:32

**_gajett_**

Re: High Quality Video Transmission

Define 'high quality'.
Also, if you want to share live audio/video, but not with the camera and voice pod, your options are fairly limited.
we have used a converter device to go from a higher quality cam to usb based interface so it shows up in connect.  we then increase all video settings (high quality/fast images) and increase the size of the pod. 

bandwidth will also potentially be an issue......

#3 2008-10-28 08:59:19

**_tlchurch_**

If you use the camera and voice pod but do not want to use a web camera, you can use an encoder card (e.g. Osprey) to bring in alternate video feeds (much better cameras).

#4 2008-10-28 10:57:07

**_thomasattrp_**

We hooked up an old Sony Betacam with a firewire connection and it works like a charm to provide high quality video. For our presentations we use it rather than a web cam. Works so well we just bought a used one on ebay so we could have two.  Can also use DVdriver with it, but it hasn't been necessary.  DVDriver helps make the camera think it is a webcam.  Others may know more about how that works. Understand that if the camera has a USB connection, that will work, too, but haven't tried it.  Here's a string of comments speaking to this topic, I think: http://www.connectusers.com/forums/cucb … 2272#p2272

#5 2008-10-29 05:31:40

**_jamesrowe_**

A little more explanation. I have access to a fully functioning studio. We have a capture card. (and a DV deck/DV device). All running SDI video. Getting live video into the system has not been an issue at all. The problem is encoding at high quality for live full screen video. The camera pod just does not have the resolution required. I have a direct link (1gb/s) link from our servers to the internet so bandwidth will not be an issue.

#6 2008-11-04 19:05:58

**_dyun_**

HI,

Have you tried changing the Camera and Voice Pod settings to "High Bandwidth"? 

Check out slide 4 of this presentation if you aren't sure what I'm referring to: http://connectusers.com/tutorials/2008/ … /index.php

Best,
David

#7 2008-11-14 23:26:43

**_sean_at_RealEyes_**

VP6 = yes, due to FP8 that Conenct Meeting runs on. H.264 would require FP9 of later, which Connect does not force on the participants.

"High Bandwidth" will get you to 15 fps. If you need to go higher, feel free to contact me.  We can get you to 30 fps, provided you have an on-premise Connect server.

#8 2008-11-17 16:51:50

alistairlee

Your other option is to create and upload a SWF file that streams video from a Flash Media Server into a share pod.  I'm guessing that this is the route that Sean is suggesting.  This actually shouldn't be too hard to do and there are lots of tutorials on the internet for creating this type of SWF.

If you plan on recording the sessions though - there may be a snag.  The recording will load the same SWF file and attempt to stream in the same live video (which is no longer live) from the FMS.  You would have to build intelligence into the SWF to point to a recording instead of a live feed if the live broadcast is no longer available.

#9 2009-01-06 09:42:40

**_jamesrowe_**

Thanks.

Sean. I have played around with the settings within the server (Yes the hidden ones, but I take it it is those ones you are refering to!.) The reason why I cannot use those although I can ramp the quality up really high (And its quite inpressive) it allows all other hosts to do the same (over 2000 possible hosts) And if that happens I will run into bandwidth issues.

I would love to look into the .swf idea. The problem is I only have the FMS built into connect (Edge's and Origins). Is there a method of using this? Can I fire a VP6 stream to the FMS server and have an uploaded .swf pick it up?

#10 2009-01-06 09:54:42

alistairlee

For anyone interested in learning a bit more about using video in Connect Pro, the Best Practices User Group meeting today (January 6th, 3pm EST) will discuss all of the options for video.

Here are the details:
http://www.connectusers.com/groups/best … vents/277/

If you're reading this post after January 6th, a recording should already be available.

#11 2009-03-30 11:01:21

**_idavidson_**

The Master Video Control for Adobe Connect lets you fine-tune your video (and all you users' video, remotely), allowing adjustments of resolution, quality, and frame rate.

Check out the trial download at http://ed-apps.com

NEW IN VERSION 3: The MVC pod is now invisible to presenters and participants so hosts can fine-tune the video without interrupting the meeting. For hosts, you can minimize the pod to take up the smallest amount of space and it still remains active.

Last edited by **_idavidson_** (2010-08-20 10:39:20)

Board footer