Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#1 2008-10-20 13:52:55

**_IsaacR1015_**

Offline Recordings simply won't work

We've conducted about a dozen meetings that we'd like to make offline copies of (and, hopefully, include portions of in PowerPoint presentations).  No matter what we do, the "offline" mode simply doesn't work. We have tried from 3 PCs and a Mac and cannot make one single recording play offline no matter what we do.

The .FLV file created by the offline recording is an absolute nightmare to try and view or convert.  We've followed the Tutorial on this site to use "SUPER's" software on our PCs and about halfway through the recording we lose video completely--- only audio comes through.  We've tried several other software packages (some pay, some free) and all leave us with really unusable files; pixelated video that only plays for 10 seconds, video without audio, audio without video, etc.  We've pulled our hair out for over a week and contacted Adobe support multiple times.

Is anyone else able to reliably create offline copies of the .FLV files, and more importantly, are you able to convert those files to other formats?

#2 2008-10-20 16:14:21

**_santhony_**

Re: Offline Recordings simply won't work

I think with converting to your PC locally, it is pretty processor intensive - at least in my experience converting locally. What kind of PC are you converting locally with - what other software is in use when you create a local copy and is that pc actively being used during that time frame?

#3 2008-10-20 17:03:21

**_IsaacR1015_**

We have tried a 1.8Ghz Laptop and 2.0Ghz Desktop PC--- both were completely idle except for the recording session.  We also tried on a Macbook Pro (2.4Ghz, 4gb RAM) with nothing else running.

#4 2008-10-20 17:51:13

**_santhony_**

I'm not sure if the connect add-in debug will provide you with any details on what could be happening, but it is possible if you enable it and look at the logs after the file creation it may tell you something.. I'm not sure if it logs there however for archive creation.

What's your CPU usage look like during these archive builds? Are you maxing out at 99% anywhere during?  This is just a suggestion, but I would try a P4 if you can get ahold of one to see if it makes a difference. Your 2 GHz machines are close to the min from what I remember on suggestions to create the archives. I have no issues on a P4, however if I jump back to my old 2 ghz machine it does not make good archives.

Hope this helps.

#5 2008-10-20 19:20:39

**_gajett_**

a couple of ideas:  do the created .flvs play fine in Adobe media player?
also, I haven't seen the super tutorial, but super works just fine on .flvs of offline movies here.  so - do you have the latest version of super?  what are you trying to create from the .flv?  I've done .avi, .mov and .mp4 video without a hitch, and also run the .flv through super to simply extract an .mp3 - no trouble.

as stated, any video conversion is processor intensive, but your machines should handle it just fine, with the lower end machines just taking longer.
what settings are you using in super?  it does work.

Greg

#6 2008-10-21 14:30:58

**_roysdenc_**

We have made offline files of some of our presentations using the make offline feature in Connect 7, but our prefered method is to record the screen using Camtasia.  This records both the screen and the audio, and you can size the widow to the region of interest or record the whole screen.  Both methods require that the presentation play back in real time, so there isn't much of an extra investment.  With Camtasia you can specify to record as an .avi file, so when the presentation is done, you are done.

Hope this helps.
Chris

Board footer