Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#1 2008-10-16 10:06:21

**_karina.hesse_**

Some users cannot see the main share pod recording

We sent recorded meetings via e-mail out and a few customers told us that they have a problem seeing the main content share pod. They apparently can open the link and see the meeting room but the main share pod with the content remaines black.
The strange thing is that in the same company most people can view the recording.

QUESTION: Is there any knowledge out there about that problem? Are there browser settings of the user which need to configured differently so that he can see it?

We would appreciate any comment who could help us resolve this issue!

Many thanks!

#2 2008-10-16 11:30:02

**_Jorma_at_RealEyes_**

Re: Some users cannot see the main share pod recording

What was being shared in the share pod? Was it an FLV movie? If so the depending on the encoding, the end users may have an older version of the Flash Player on their computer and may not have been able to view the content. It may come down to codecs of the movies (On2VP6 for example is FP7+)

#3 2008-10-16 11:55:34

**_karina.hesse_**

We sent out the "recording link" (it is not a live meeting) which is generated in Connect - I think they use FLV, so we will definitely ask our customer if he has the latest version.

The strange thing is, that he describes he can see the recorded meeting room, but not the "share pod" in which we displayed simply a financial software application - even though I think it should  not matter if it is a FLV, it should show everything within the streaming?

Well, I am out of my breath here.

Thanks very much for your info, will check it out!

#4 2008-10-16 16:46:53

**_Jorma_at_RealEyes_**

The play back from the server is NOT an FLV. It is a recreation of the meeting room with most of the interactivity removed (except hyperlinks). Only when you download it to your local computer is it converted to an FLV. That is why I ask about what is being shown.

#5 2008-10-17 04:36:57

**_karina.hesse_**

Ok. - it is only the link we sent out. We do not use the download of it for the distribution, as the FLV size is too big and quality seems not as good yet. Is there anything what we can do to improve the link transmission without loosing parts of it?

Furthermore, we would like to keep our recordings and download them and later incorporate them into our webpage. Do you know what best to use to edit these files - in order to e.g. resize them or to improve quality, minimize file size?

Any experience on what to do in this situation? Thanks!

#6 2008-10-21 14:42:09

**_roysdenc_**

Karina,
     Regarding not seeing the content of the share pod, I have seen that before, but in my situation no one could see anything, so I have no idea when it is only a small few who cant see it when others can.

Regarding archiving and further use of your recordings, one thing to keep in mind is you cannot really make a copy that is better than the original.  That being said, you can download the presentation, which will give you a .flv, and then using third party software convert the .flv to something such as an .avi or .wmv.  Then you can take that file into an editor if need be.  I think there may be a few .flv editors, but from what I saw when last I looked, it is for croping sections out, and couldn't resize.  What may be a better option is a screen capture tool which can allow you to record the screen, resize, edit, and all sorts of things.  We use Camtasia, but there are others out there.

Hope this helps
Chris

#7 2008-10-22 08:49:35

**_karina.hesse_**

Chris,
With regards to our client - we are trying to isolate if it might be another programme which he is running which prevents just him to see the recording and make sure that it is not simply an overload of too many application being open on his side. If I have a definite answer I will post again.
You just answered all my "unanswered questions" in one go. As I am a multi-tasker and have just limited time with limited software knowledge I always wondered if I overlooked something with connect and thought that it should need to be editable, but will investigate your camtasia and see if that gives us the edge we are looking for. You have no idea how much you just helped us!
Karina

#8 2008-10-22 10:52:43

**_roysdenc_**

Glad I could help.  If you have any questions about Camtasia, feel free to email me.  chris.roysden@ni.com

-Chris

#9 2008-10-23 22:52:38

**_santhony_**

I would check a few things - I've not seen the issue before so these are just some suggestions.

Check the version of flash being used. If necessary all versions may need to be uninstalled from add/remove programs as well as running the flash uninstaller from the Adobe.com support site.

Check to see if there are any flash blockers installed or enabled.

Check to see if the content works in another browser.

Check to see if something in IE is installed (like an add-on) that could be interfering.

Check and make sure no other applications are open and running that are also using Flash. Programs like Yahoo messenger use flash ads - although I doubt this is the issue, I've seen stranger things occur.

Good luck.

#10 2008-10-24 09:38:48

**_karina.hesse_**

Shayla - thanks I passed your infomation directly on to our customer. I hope he will give us feedback if any of it enables him to see the main screen pod.
Have a great day!
Karina

#11 2008-11-25 11:15:26

**_kwfitzpa_**

I am seeing this exact same problem and it seems to be from an increasing number if users. They can see and hear the instructor in the Video\Voice pod and they can see the Chat window, but the Share pod will not display the PPT. Does anyone have any definitive answers that I can send to the affected users? I can send out suggestions like the ones Shayla supplied above, but I would like to know if anyone has had any luck before I send out a mass emailing to my affected users.
Thanks in advance for any further info,
Kevin

#12 2008-11-25 12:15:46

**_karina.hesse_**

Hi Kevin,
Still no definite answer from my part.

Our clients had flash installed. They could not use another browser as they had a company wide default browser. But I have the suspicion that it has to do with an overtasked computer - when too many applications are open. Lately often clients have to click the link twice to start the recording. We included a default text to closed browser tab and click link again if transmission does not start immediately.

So if it is in your case nothing "tangible" like Shayla said - perhaps that recommendation helps your clients.

Karina

#13 2008-12-16 12:21:00

**_kwfitzpa_**

Working with Adobe Platinum Support we have identified the issue! It looks to be a permissions problem. We did several tests and discovered if I elevated a user who was having problems to administrator access, the problem went away and they could see the share pod. I have moved all my Recorded meetings to a separate folder which allows access to all user levels and it seemed to take care of the bulk of my issues. I am told it has to do with the fact that I am sharing my presentation from my PC rather than preloading it to the content library.
If anyone needs further info, feel free to contact me.

Last edited by **_kwfitzpa_** (2008-12-16 12:21:34)

Board footer