Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#1 2008-09-26 09:24:03

**_poetry4kids_**

Audio cutting in and out

During meetings with hosted Adobe Acrobat Connect Pro, participants complain that my audio cuts in and out.  "Lost you," they say. "Oh, there you are."

I can't find anything in the knowledgebase about this.  I'm on a 12Mbps cable modem, and the participants have high speed Internet connections on their end.

I have tried different settings for the connection speed, and gone through the audio setup wizard.  I've even tried turning my camera off to cut down on the bandwidth usage, but to no avail.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what might be causing this or how to resolve it?

--Kenn

#2 2008-09-26 15:18:48

**_santhony_**

Re: Audio cutting in and out

Try disabling the enhanced audio features from your meeting menu and see if that gives you any better performance in your meetings - you may have to have all users disable this feature to find the root cause of the issue. Also try removing any Automatic echo cancellation that your webcam/mic may have built in to see if that may resolve your issue for you.

#3 2008-09-26 15:58:56

**_poetry4kids_**

Shayla,

I appreciate the suggestions.  However, Enhanced Audio was not enabled (at least not on my end), and echo cancellation was not turned on in the Logitech QuickCam settings.

I'm not sure if the video is cutting out as well as the audio.  I need to find that out too.

I'm going to keep plugging away it (trying different mic hardware, etc.), but I would appreciate any other thoughts you might have.

--Kenn

#4 2008-09-29 09:35:14

**_santhony_**

It only takes one participant to have enhanced audio to cause this problem from my understanding.

You could be looking at a mix of issues, and not just one causing these issues. keep us updated with whatever information you get.

One thing you could try if possible is to run a session on a completely different time than you normally would. Cable modems are shared technology and aren't always perfect. If you run your meetings in the afternoon, try one in the morning or late at night to see if it improves.

VoIP issues aren't one of the easy ones to troubleshoot unfortunately due to the fact you usually are dealing with a variety of different connections, hardware, and set up.

#5 2008-09-29 11:40:52

**_roysdenc_**

We have had similar things happen with audio, and it always looks to be a bandwidth issue.  It sounds like you have done everything that we typically do to prevent this issue, so I am not sure what is causing it. 

One thing to check is that the physical size of your camera pod isn't too big, and that may help.  Also, when that happens, look on the upper right of the screen and look at the green bar at the very edge.  If the bar is full, it may not be a bandwidth issue (which would be indicated by a lack of green). 

What other content are you trying to share at the same time.  It may be as simple as your connection cannot handle the demand.  One other thought is that when the audio drops, does it pick up right where you were, or do they miss words?  I think that may help determine where the problem is as well.

-Chris

#6 2008-09-29 14:14:44

**_poetry4kids_**

It turns out that the video was not freezing, but the audio was coming and going.  This leads me to believe that it is not a bandwidth issue.

Also, I'm the only person using a camera and mic.  The other participants don't have cameras or mics, so I don't imagine their audio settings would be relevant.

The only other content I am sharing is a rather minimal Powerpoint slide.  I don't believe my camera pod was too big.  Good point about the green bar, though.  I'll take a look at that.

I was using a generic brand USB headset.  I have replaced this with a Logitech non-USB headset (i.e., one that plugs directly into my sound card) and will be testing it again this evening.

I've tried this new headset (and my Logitech camera) extensively with Skype, and they both seem to work flawlessly.  Hopefully they will work as well with Connect.

--Kenn

#7 2008-09-29 14:38:24

**_roysdenc_**

For our live presentations we do not allow the participants to use a camera or mic, so our setup is similar.  We do tell people that if their experience gets choppy to lower their connection settings.  That may be something to try as well.

Hope it all works out.
Chris

#8 2008-10-16 11:13:03

**_Carri.Saari_**

Same problem here. We use our Adobe Connect meeting to share and record small group seminars. No difference if connected to the internet wired or wireless.

I use a Logitech Orbit AF webcam and a ClearOneChat50USB speaker-phone for the audio.

Even if there is no other site logged on during the live session we have audio problems in the recording.

#9 2008-10-16 16:37:55

**_poetry4kids_**

I found a solution that worked for me.  I turned out that, although my mic was working perfectly with Skype, Adobe Connect was doing something strange, it was turning the audio off completely when the input fell below a certain level.  In other words, when I was speaking more quietly, the audio would cut out altogether.

I managed to resolve this by turning the mic volume level up to the maximum in the windows volume control.  With the higher input level, Connect never turns the audio off.

--Kenn

#10 2008-10-16 16:54:40

**_Jorma_at_RealEyes_**

You can turn this feature off in the last step of the Audio set up wizard. Select the Advanced Options (or something similar, it has been changing recently) and turn your silence level down to 0 (zero). That will disable that feature.

Board footer