Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#1 2008-09-07 16:43:50

**_jbischke_**

Sound cutting out when not speaking

Hey all.  First post here.  We've been testing Connect and have a pretty consistent problem that I'm sure many of you have seen.  When someone is talking and stops talking it appears that Connects drops the audio channel.  When the person starts talking again then the audio channel resumes but there is a bit of a lag.  So if two people are trying to have a conversation it ends up pretty choppy.

I think this has something to do with the Silence Level perhaps and I can see why this functionality is built-in (to save bandwidth when audio isn't live for other parts of the app).  However, I do have two questions:

#1 - Is there a configuration that prevents Connect from dropping the audio channel?

#2 - Can this configuration be set as the default for all Connect sessions?

Thanks in advance for any help!

#2 2008-09-08 10:24:26

**_MarsTech_**

Re: Sound cutting out when not speaking

Hi,
The only way to solve this problem is by setting your silence level to zero, this will stop it from cutting out when there is no one talking. As for making this a default, I don't think you can since each meeting may have different inputs for audio and video.

Hope this helps.

#3 2008-09-08 10:39:05

**_Jorma_at_RealEyes_**

Yes,

Every user should go through the audio setup wizard before they use the VoIP in connect for the first time. They will only have to do it once. The users can find it at:

Meetings > Manage My Settings > Audio Setup Wizard.

#4 2008-09-08 13:32:48

**_jbischke_**

Thanks guys.

@MarsTech - Yeah, I thought setting silence level to zero would probably do the trick.  However, one annoyance with Connect is that there's no way to change this (I don't think) without running the entire Audio Setup Wizard.

@Jorma - Yes, we typically do this.  However, it seems that the wizard rarely sets people's silence level to zero so we'd need to ask people to do that manually.  It would also be nice if there was a way to allow people to run that wizard automatically on log-in.

#5 2008-09-09 01:41:34

**_sean_at_RealEyes_**

According to Support, there's "a known bug with the Enhanced Audio". The recommend un-checking this check box on step 5 of 5, Advanced Settings. Since i turned mine off (and did some tweaking with level with my OS), I've had rock solid VoIP. 

I was told this is to be fixed with the release of sp1 due out this fall.

#6 2008-09-09 02:11:24

**_jbischke_**

Is this "reduce echo" check box?  Could be the gold mine for us if that's the case.

#7 2008-09-09 12:51:10

**_Jorma_at_RealEyes_**

It's the check box on the upper left hand corner of the "Advanced" dialog box.

#8 2008-09-09 14:06:37

**_jbischke_**

I'll check that out.  Thanks Jorma!

#9 2008-09-24 20:41:23

**_niallo_**

sean_at_RealEyes wrote:

According to Support, there's "a known bug with the Enhanced Audio". The recommend un-checking this check box on step 5 of 5, Advanced Settings. Since i turned mine off (and did some tweaking with level with my OS), I've had rock solid VoIP. 

I was told this is to be fixed with the release of sp1 due out this fall.

Sean, does this mean that Adobe Support are recommending that no-one use the enhanced audio in Connect 7?
Do you have any more details on this "known bug" that you can share, or is there somewhere that we can go to get this information?
Do you have any information on when sp1 is going to be released?

Thanks for any help,

Niall

#10 2008-09-24 22:49:25

**_jbischke_**

I don't see an Enhanced Audio option on Step 5.  I do see an Echo reduction option though.

What has helped is setting the silence level to 0.  Unless you're in a really noisy cafe or have a lot of people with their mics open at the same time there's really no reason not to do that.

Now what would be awesome is if we could default the setting to 0 for everyone...

#11 2008-09-29 09:22:27

**_santhony_**

jbishke - which version of Connect are you on ?

#12 2008-09-29 10:32:27

**_jbischke_**

We're using the hosted version so I would assume it's the most recent?

#13 2008-10-04 20:22:44

**_santhony_**

Make sure you are walking through the audio wizard within the Connect meeting room under the Meetings menu. Have you been able to find it ?

#14 2008-10-06 15:37:01

**_Jorma_at_RealEyes_**

I've seen the Advanced Audio options come and go. Sometimes it is on the last step of the Audio set up wizard, and sometimes it's not. Guess that's them working out the issues on the hosted environment.

#15 2008-10-06 21:50:32

**_jbischke_**

OK, thanks Jorma.  Yeah, we've only seen the "Echo Suppression" option on the last step.

Board footer