Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#1 2008-06-14 12:51:18

**_Terry_at_RefinedData_com_**

Archive Playback Problems - Temporary Workaround

Since the switch to Connect Pro 7 I have found that archived recordings play back with a large amount of the lower screen cut off.

The issue seems to be worse on a wide screen monitor because the browser window is resized to fit the full screenwhen it's launched. What appears to happen is that the content resizes to fit the window's available width without reference to the available height.

As a result, the bottom third of the archive content is usually cut off from your view. This bug appears to have been introduced in Connect 7 as the previous version resized the content to fit both width and height.

As a workaround in the short term, just resize your browser window to reduce the width until the bottom part of the recording content comes back in to view. I find a reasonably square browser window works best to start and then you can tweak the size so everything shows and you can achieve the largest size.

Hopefully, Adobe will fix this soon. I've already submitted a bug report but additional requests regarding this issue may help to get it attended to faster.

Terry

#2 2008-06-15 08:02:49

**_gajett_**

Re: Archive Playback Problems - Temporary Workaround

We've seen this, too.  Frustrating for many users.
One other tip is to open the archive transcript.  the button now says 'view advanced options'.  This forces a resize to height and width.  It does take up room on the screen, though.

#3 2008-08-29 12:46:01

Just heard back from Adobe (10 weeks later) that this is a "bug" and will be fixed in SP1 to be released later this fall.

Not perfect, but better than nothing I guess. At least there's a solution in sight.

As a general tip for those making offline copies of their recordings, be sure to resize the playback window as described above as the recording will only include the content that is visible in the playback window.

If the playback chops off the bottom of your meeting, it will be missing in your FLV file too.

#4 2008-08-29 20:00:55

**_Shelley_**

Thanks for the update, Terry. 

I also heard from Adobe today about a bug I reported in early June.  My guess is that they are finally taking our complaints about The Black Hole* seriously.  Now they are closing the loop on communicating with customers, even if it's just to say the problem hasn't been solved.  Hoo-ray for PROGRESS!

*issues get "escalated to engineering," and nothing comes out

#5 2008-08-30 10:10:26

Hi Shelley,

I wish I could say that the update from Adobe was the result of their tech support team being pro-active. In fact, I only discovered the information because I happened to be speaking to a senior tech person on an unrelated matter and asked if he could look in to this issue because nobody else could give me a straight answer.

Adobe tech support promises 24 "business hours" (3 days in regular english) response times but my general experience is that you can often wait 6-10 weeks for a response that doesn't even provide the answers you're looking for.

I love Adobe's products - Connect Pro is without doubt the most elegant and sophisticated conferencing solution available anywhere on the planet, but their support infrastructure is appalling.

As a Connect reseller and developer this is extremely frustrating for both my company and my clients.

On the plus side, I now have a thriving business providing tech-support to Connect Pro users who need training and support from someone with reliable answers and workarounds to common problems. Most of these clients purchased their licenses from other resellers and are just fed up trying to get answers from Adobe.

One man's obstacle is another man's opportunity I guess!

#6 2008-08-30 10:47:43

**_Shelley_**

I have heard Adobe is revamping its support organization for ACP.  That's the ONLY reason we were willing to renew our hosted contract for another year.  I was on the verge of switching to another product until our reseller assured me that Adobe is finally owning up to just how badly they suck -- and they're doing something about it.

Time will tell.

#7 2008-09-03 10:47:22

**_jameslloyd_**

Wow Shelly, we are already doing RFP for Moodle - Adobe is just killing this product.  And yeah Terry, I have months-old tickets with support - that truly is the black-hole!

And how about that v7 reporting feature - it too must have been swallowed by the black hole.  Tho do licensed folks have reporting?  I still have no idea if it was withdrawn from them or just denied to us hosted customers.

#8 2008-09-03 15:04:20

**_roysdenc_**

So, to chime in with my experience, the x-y scaling issue on archived presentations was quickly seen by my company.  They changed something with the way the archives play back where it cannot correctly interpret the screen size, but it is mainly an issue with wide screen monitors (most of today's laptops).  We actually reported it the week of the update.  I have had about 12-15 support requests with the usual "we have never seen this before" answer.  Adobe support did tell me in early July that they did see this x-y scaling issue as a bug that would be fixed later in the year. 

Now for the black hole...  I had an issue where Connect 6 SP3 deleted content from some of my recordings from mid last year.  I found the issue in mid December and quickly reported it to Adobe (I mean, I am paying how much for support, so I should use it, right!).  After a couple of weeks of getting no where, support said they would send it to engineering.  After that, I only heard back when I called for an update.  I did have a backup of the recordings I knew were affect by chance, and had updated them on my end, but I wanted the issue resolved.  After no updates or movement on my case for 4 months, I started getting loud and speaking to managers.  When I made it clear that working on a new release (which I knew was coming) was no justification for ignoring a current customer who has an issue with the current system, I at least was heard a little.  The usual answer came back - Adobe isn't smart enough to know how to fix the problem.  However, they guarenteed better support.  So far, I have the same answers, just more conversation to get to them.  I currently probably have 8-10 current cases if not more because of no action, they haven't found a way to resolve them, or they have been set aside to work on my more important issues.

I can say that I have one issue that I have been really loud about, so they are helping me on at least one issue.  During one of our conversations the support guy did let me know that they are re-evaluating their policy on problems with recordings and how seriously they take the reports.  He let me know that they put little priority on them in the past, and they "want to start working harder on recording issues."  They are putting together a team to evaluate how much importance they need to put on the recordings and problems that are reported.    So they aren't doing anything yet, but are looking at possibly considering it in the distant future.  Or at least, that is what I can figure out. 

Sorry for the rambling, I am just glad I am not the only one with these issues.

-Chris

#9 2008-09-05 01:25:40

**_jimmyolsen_**

Shelley wrote:

I have heard Adobe is revamping its support organization for ACP.  That's the ONLY reason we were willing to renew our hosted contract for another year.  I was on the verge of switching to another product until our reseller assured me that Adobe is finally owning up to just how badly they suck -- and they're doing something about it.

Time will tell.

Yes, I can confirm that.

J.

#10 2008-09-05 02:48:14

**_Shelley_**

Thanks for that vote of confidence, jimmyolsen.  Care to shed a LITTLE more light on it?

#11 2008-09-05 09:06:52

**_roysdenc_**

So with all the problems others are seeing, what other solutions have you looked at for replacing Connect?  I have been asked by my manager to find possible replacements since we are completely dissatisfied with the lack of support and constant problems Connect has.

-Chris

#12 2008-09-05 11:30:32

**_Shelley_**

Chris, maybe you should start a new thread for that topic to make it more visible...  call it "Keeping Connect or Switching?" and see what kind of responses roll in.  Just  a thought.

#13 2008-09-05 11:40:56

**_roysdenc_**

Thanks for the idea, I'll do that.

-Chris

Board footer