Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#1 2014-08-28 13:39:58

jmony

Ability to see 20 participants simultaneously?

As a teacher, I don't always know what the students are doing (Facebook most probably!)...Are there any extensions to Adobe which enable a host or teacher to see a large number of around 20 participants? (In addition to forcing their screens to be involved throughout the class time).

Thank you.

#2 2014-08-28 13:50:15

Jorma_at_CoSo

Re: Ability to see 20 participants simultaneously?

I don't know that Connect is going to have a solution to all your needs.

Student focus: If you have the Events module, then you can have the Engagement Dashboard in your room that can track if attendees are focused on your meeting room, or something else. This will also allow an engagement status to be able to display next to the usernames in the attendee list to show who is not actually paying attention to your room. http://blogs.adobe.com/connectsupport/w … dashboard/ See bullet point four:
You are an Meeting Host AND Event Manager and you create a Meeting (just being a Meeting Host will NOT give you access to the Engagement Dashboard).  Only then will the Meeting have an Engagement Dashboard in the Presenter Only Area.

See the students: The video pod should meet this need, as you can allow everyone to display their webcam image. You would just need to make the pod large enough to accomodate those images at a useful size.

Forcing their screens: What do you mean by this? You want to see the image of their screens or just want them to be focused on the Connect room?

#3 2014-08-31 14:33:59

Terry at Refined Data

Hi J Mony,

Adobe Connect can absolutely meet your needs with Vantage Point from Refined Data Solutions - a patented pod that extends the platform to meet this exact requirement.

The tool runs a second window in your browser (preferably on a second monitor) where you can see all of your students (up to 150+) all of the time - it's just like being in a real physical classroom because you can read the body language and facial expressions of the attendees. They cannot see each other unless their camera is activated inside Connect in the normal way. Think of this like having a one-way mirror for your audience like they have in market research panels.

It's 100% consent based so students know they can be seen and they can withdraw consent temporarily or permanently at any time.

You can call on a single student or an entire group/team of students with a single click and all of them will appear inside of Connect and their microphones will be activated and unmuted automatically.

Additionally, if you're worried about multi-tasking with Facebook, email or the numerous other distractions in today's world, the tool can optionally notify you every time a student switches to another program, minimizes the Connect interface, and even if they simply walk away from the computer. Our clients report that student engagement rises dramatically whenever Vantage Point is in use and many faculty refuse to teach without it, once they've tried it in a live class.

If the students consent and install an inexpensive screen share driver, you can also remotely view each of their screens remotely to monitor how they are performing an assigned task. This is very cool for software training where remote students need to practice a skill in a piece of software. The Host can also share the student's screen with the rest of the class if appropriate.

Vantage Point has been used in the delivery of online degree programs at some of the leading Universities in the US and around the world as well as by leading training companies and corporations.

It truly has to be seen to be believed but once you've used it, you'll never want to teach in Connect without it again. It's online education from a whole new Point of View.

I hope that helps. Let me know if you'd like to attend a demonstration of the software so you can see for yourself how it can transform the teaching environment.

#4 2014-09-02 21:49:22

jmony

Jorma_at_Realeyes,
Thank you for your tip regarding the Event/Host Manager, we don't currently have an event manager license on our account but I will look into this as an option. I tried having all the students share their webcams at one time, but in order to see everyone even in film strip mode I have to give up too much of the space in my Connect room and the performance was not great.

Terry at Refined Data,

This pod sounds like a solution I might be interested in looking at, and am impressed with the capability of viewing all my students or their screens. Is it possible to see this in action?

#5 2014-12-09 01:16:37

iil1114

I have the same problem but I was afraid of privacity issues.

It is outstanding the possibilities  that Adobe Connect has.

Thanks

Board footer