Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#1 2014-06-17 09:01:21

clewis

Curriculum Certificate Print Issue

I am working in Flash CC (AS3) with a custom certificate based on the 8/2013 release of the updated scripts (http://blogs.adobe.com/connectsupport/f … em-button/), and I am having issues with the page margins for the landscape print.  So far I have tested printing from FF, IE and Chrome all with the same print issues.  I've checked the print margins each time, and they are all set correctly.  Looking in the script, I see the settings for 8.5x11, but apparently something is wonky with how it's creating the rectangle for the print object.  On the left edge, it is picking up the black border lines from flash, and on the bottom edge, it is picking up the black border.  I would say that it is approx .25 off on each of those, and regardless of the settings I use, I still have the issue.  I even loaded the exported swf into Captivate to see if it would make a difference, but so far it hasn't. 
I'm not sure if that adequately explains the issue, so let me know if I can provide more info.  Thank you.

#2 2014-06-17 14:38:41

clewis

Re: Curriculum Certificate Print Issue

This is the screen shot of what print preview looks like.  And it prints exactly the same way.  The black bars on the left and top are supposed to be the canvas 8.5x11 border. This is the example flash file included from the download page with no edits.  I've tested in all browsers, multiple printers, and even had other users try to print it as well.  I'm slowly making my way through coding, but I'm honestly not that familiar with AS3. 

Print+Capture.PNG?download=Print+Capture.PNG

#3 2014-06-17 14:57:32

Jorma_at_CoSo

I'm not sure if it provides any additional information, but Andrew, the creator of that certificate did provide this information as an update about making the certificates in AS3: http://www.connectusers.com/forums/post/28349/#p28349

#4 2014-06-17 16:42:35

clewis

Not exactly.  All of that information was included in the link from my OP, but thank you Jorma. 
It seems the issue is in the coding for the printCertificate area in Actions.  I was able to change the x and y for the rectangle the author created to resolve for testing from my machine, but that doesn't seem to solve the whole issue.  It seems as though the rectangle object created for the print job is pulling the incorrect print area from the movie file.  I've now tested on a Windows 7 machine in Firefox using the same printer and I had similar results.  I've been trying to find someone in my office that has a better handle on AS3 scripting, but so far I have come up short.  I realize this is an "as-is" additional piece, but any help is greatly appreciated. 
Thanks again.

#5 2014-06-17 17:35:20

Jorma_at_CoSo

Contact me off forum, just put .com after my user name, and I'll put you in touch with Andrew.

#6 2014-06-18 08:22:11

clewis

Email sent.  Thank you, Jorma.

#7 2014-06-18 10:44:28

Jorma_at_CoSo

If you get a resolution, please share.

#8 2014-06-19 08:27:11

clewis

I spoke with Andrew for a bit yesterday.  He was able to replicate the issue on his end and sent me an updated copy of the source certificate fla file.  It corrected the margin issue to a degree where it will work.  As I noted to him, if you print to Adobe PDF the margins were correct in the original but now in the updated source they are off.  It will definitely work now with a standard printer, but I will probably still work on the print code in the original file. 
Thanks again for your help in getting us connected, Jorma.

#9 2014-06-19 09:54:44

Jorma_at_CoSo

Glad I could help. If you can get an FLA file that works, please share it!

#10 2014-06-23 11:30:39

clewis

Emailed the fla file I received from Andrew to Jorma.  I did not see a way to upload here, and I do not have a place to host it currently. 
A couple of notes:
I found the shape on the landscape stage threw off the centering for my test printers regardless of the methods used to scale or to use the object dimensions.  The only solution was to include the intended gutter into the jpg file and resize it to fit over the landscape shape.  doing this allowed the printers to properly scale and apply their own gutters to the file.  Since forceLandscape is always applied, this didn't seem to be an issue.  I haven't tested with a portrait image. 
I am still working on some of the scaling, but as stated, I'm not overly familiar with AS3 so it is taking me some time to go through it. 
Thanks again for helping, and I hope this helps others as well.

Last edited by clewis (2014-06-23 11:31:30)

#11 2014-06-23 13:49:13

Jorma_at_CoSo

Thanks for working through the issues and sharing the fixed file. It can be found here: Updated Certificate FLA

#12 2014-06-26 16:14:32

clewis

Also, to add to this...if the forcelandscape code is set to false and the standard certificate is loaded and rotated 90 degrees to fit the portrait layout everything prints normally.

Board footer