Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#1 2015-04-14 12:50:37

skm0525

Camcorder suggestions? (And necessary converters?)

Hi everyone,
My company uses AdobeConnect to broadcast and record live events that go on in our office (speakers, panelists, etc.). This isn't necessarily an interactive usage, we do not receive video from our online viewers, we just stream the live presentation video.

We currently use a Logitech webcam to film but the quality is not as good as we would like, as the events take place at a distance from the camera, and would like to use a more HD capable video camcorder. However in my research I have seen that in order to ensure the HD quality is retained in the live stream, there must be a converter or encoder device of some sort.

I am very new to all of this and I do not really know exactly what I should be looking for when attempting this setup. If anyone can help me out by sharing what you use - as in, what camcorder do you use and what converter, or whatever other hard/software is necessary to stream live HD video - it would be extremely helpful.

Again, the quality that we have now isn't terrible, but it is definitely not HD, so I want to make sure that if we are spending all this money on a new setup that it is worth it, we would like to make sure the quality is really clear HD. Thank you!

#2 2015-04-14 15:20:30

Jorma_at_CoSo

Re: Camcorder suggestions? (And necessary converters?)

HD video in Connect can be a bit tricky.

The Video pod only does SD video (max 480P I believe), so no matter how high-end your video software is, it will never provide HD video in the Video pod.

With that clear, there are option to get HD video in Connect. I'd recommend you look at TalkingStick or the tecRacer Videoplayer for FMS here, http://www.adobe.com/products/adobeconnect/apps.html#3, or the Podium HD pod here, https://github.com/connectsolutions/HDPod. They all provide the same basic solution of bringing an external video into Connect. This can be at whatever quality you need, and the workload is placed on an external streaming server, as opposed to Connect. You will need to get a streaming server or streaming provider to handle the stream, so there is that additional cost/setup.

Also, keep in mind that the video streamed from external sources is not recorded by Connect.

As to the video hardware, I wouldn't go over the top. Most consumer level video cameras will do HD video and have the ability to zoom and pan.

#3 2015-04-16 09:01:18

skm0525

Thanks so much for the reply. I'm a bit confused, if you cannot stream HD video in the Video pod, then where would you stream from using the steps that you provided? As in, I thought that the video pod is the only way to stream live video in Connect. Is there another option in Connect to stream video from? Or are you listing ways to receive HD video as opposed to streaming it?

#4 2015-04-16 11:17:32

Jorma_at_CoSo

Using the options above, you would need to have an external media server (Adobe Media Server or similar) or streaming service to handle the streaming of the video. The custom pod loaded into a Share pod in the Connect Meeting would then display the video to all the attendees.

If you were using one of these solutions, then you wouldn't use the Video pod.

The Video pod is the built in solution for streaming video in Connect. In most cases it is used to show an individual speaking and is a small video. This means it doesn't have a need to be HD quality, as the video is not shown at a large enogh size to justify HD.

#5 2015-04-16 14:37:08

skm0525

Thank you so much for your replies, this is extremely helpful. So then for this setup to work, I would only need an HD consumer camcorder, external media server or a streaming service, and Adobe Connect, correct? Are Talking Stick and the other technologies that you recommended services that would do this? As in, could my setup be just a camcorder, Talking Stick (or Adobe media server, etc.), and Adobe Connect?

#6 2015-04-16 14:41:05

Jorma_at_CoSo

TalkingStick is a service that would only require you to have a camera (they do the rest I believe). You would do best to reach out to RefinedData about it, as they can explain what their offering includes and costs.

I've not used the techRacer tool, but it looks like it is just the custom pod that loads into the Share pod in Connect, you would need to set up your own media server to get this solution working from what I can tell.

Podium HD is the source code to build your own custom pod that can be loaded into Connect, and you would have to be responsible for the media server as well.

So, they offer varring levels of service/support based on your needs and comfort levels with the technology.

#7 2015-04-16 14:43:48

skm0525

So I can overcome having to set up my own media server by using an external media server such as Adobe Media Server, correct? Then there is no need for those technologies, I just need a camera, AMS, and Connect? Or is AMS something you need in addition to another service

#8 2015-04-16 17:06:50

Jorma_at_CoSo

What you need:

1. Adobe Connect <--> 2. Custom player/pod that can be loaded into the Share pod to display your live video stream <--> 3. Streaming server or service to push your live video stream <--> 4. Encoder to get the live stream from your computer to the meida server or service <--> 5. Camera hooked up to your computer

So, #3 would be your AMS server or other streaming server. You could use a streaming service as well, but you would only need to choose one option.

Does that make sense?

#9 2015-04-17 08:32:54

skm0525

Yes, this is making a lot more sense now thank you so much for your help. Now, I am not very tech savvy, is there any software that does all of those things at once? For example, does AMS create the #2 custom pod? Or do I have to download a separate software for each step? If so, do you have any recommendations of technologies that work best for each step?

#10 2015-04-17 10:50:09

Jorma_at_CoSo

The custom pod would come from either one of the three providers listed above (RefinedData, techRacer or PodiumHD) or you could have someone build one for you, or you could get adventurous and build one your self.

Since you are looking for a complete solution, I'd recommend again that you reach out to RefinedData to see if their soultion will work for you. If it doesn't then you are likely going to need to figure out a solution that is a bit more involved on your part, or accept the video for the way it is in Connect.

Board footer