Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#1 2009-11-25 13:00:34

alistairlee

Important new 7.5 Installation Issue for On Premise Customers

WARNING to all customers that are migrating to 7.5.  If in the past, you have EVER changed servers, STOP and get version 7.5.0.3.   Adobe has discovered an issue whereby 7.5 will delete content that was created on any server that is not the current server.  If you are unsure whether or not you have migrated servers you can use this script:
http://www.connectusers.com/x/Pre_upgrade_Check.sql

I'll post more details here as they become available as well as a link to the technote as soon as it has been posted.

#2 2009-11-25 14:50:53

**_pafell_**

Re: Important new 7.5 Installation Issue for On Premise Customers

Alistair,
First, thanks for the heads-up about this.  However, as a licensed Adobe Connect customer, what is rather worrisome about this method of communication re: installation/upgrade issues is that unless we are actively monitoring connectusers.com we would be otherwise totally unaware of this issue as well as the installer issue that was reported eariler in the month.

Personally, I feel as though Adobe has an obligation to its enterprise customers to notify them of potentially serious consequences of installations/upgrades when you become aware of them (similar to what is done when an automobile manufacturer issues a recall notice).  We've received no e-mails or other correspondence from Adobe re: the installer issue earlier this month -- despite having requested and received the potentially devastating installation CD.

Can you pass this along to management at Adobe that your clients would like to be actively informed when these types of installation problems are identified.  I'm not a fan of causing self-inflicted wounds when I do an upgrade because I didn't happen to read the notice on a user forum.  Of course, I don't expect to be notified of every bug that is discovered but if there is the potential for a system upgrade to cause significant data loss or erasure of program files requiring restoring from backups I think those warrant additional action on Adobe's part above what is currently being done.

Thanks for listening.
-Paul

#3 2009-11-25 15:06:37

alistairlee

Hey Paul,

You are absolutely right - and of course, we don't expect customers to check forums on a community site for this type of communication.

You can expect an email from Adobe very shortly regarding this issue.

As an official communication though, you can imagine that the email needs to go through a number of reviews and steps before it can be sent out.  I'm able to post something to this this site much more quickly than that.  I try to be as open as I can be on this site and in this case, I thought it was in our customers best interest not to wait for the official communication to be available.  I'll also continue to update this post as new information becomes available.

Thanks for understanding.

Alistair

#4 2009-11-25 15:36:43

**_pafell_**

I certainly appreciate your efforts to keep us informed.  I much prefer having an "unofficial" alert from you cautioning us against something that would cause harm until the official notice comes from Adobe as opposed to the alternative.

But I can tell you from personal experience, there have been two (or was it three?) instances in the last year or so where there were problems with installers/updaters and I have NEVER received a single e-mail communication from Adobe advising me that any installer I may have downloaded was faulty.  Ever.

Perhaps part of the problem is that historically the updaters page was available to anyone and therefore it would make it more difficult for you to determine who may have gotten the faulty upgrade but somewhere Adobe has records of who their licensed customers are and it would be a great service to send an appropriate advisory (or simply require authentication to download from the updaters page).  And while we're on the subject, how about sending an e-mail letting me know when there is a new service pack or update?  Thankfully the connectusers.com forum is great for giving us that info but it should also be part of the communication plan with Adobe's licensed clients.

I hope my comments aren't coming across as being too critical.  Overall, Connect Pro is an excellent product and continues to improve with each release.  These types of issues are all certainly correctable and I'm confident that Adobe will address them appropriately.

Happy Thanksgiving!
-Paul

Last edited by **_pafell_** (2009-11-25 15:38:25)

#5 2009-12-09 13:52:57

**_pafell_**

Alistair,
do you have any new information on the status of the installer issue for on-premises customers?  Should we continue to hold off on our upgrade or is there an updated version of the installer available that we can safely use?

Thanks.  -Paul

#6 2009-12-14 13:14:07

**_jasonheffner_**

Adobe post-dated the article and it can be found at

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/528/cpsid_52878.html

7.503 is on the download site. I still have to push to get updates from their support.

#7 2009-12-14 13:23:09

**_pafell_**

Thanks Jason!  Much appreciated.

Board footer