Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#1 2009-08-17 11:59:52

**_Olden_**

Persistent Screen shares across layouts

Often we need to be able to initiate a screen/desktop sharing session within a pod. Once the presenter switches to a different layout, however that share is ended.

Having the pod remember that it is a share even when used in a different layout would be invaluable to us. We are aware that we can duplicate a layout where a desktop share is active, but it's cumbersome to do that frequently within a session.

The desktop/screen sharing should have the same behavior as the other things loaded into a share pod: it should remember that it is a screen share and automatically resume that function once returned to from another layout.

Anyone else have any experience with this?

#2 2009-08-20 15:39:58

**_mrock66_**

Re: Persistent Screen shares across layouts

Can you give me an example of when you would use screensharing and want to change layouts?  I'm not sure i understand.

#3 2009-08-21 15:38:57

**_Olden_**

Sure -- suppose I have a layout configured that has in one sharepod a set of PowerPoint slides, and in another sharepod a screenshare of a software application. If I switch to a second layout temporarily (perhaps to do a quick assessment) then switch back the original one (slides + app share), the app share is ended and the "What do you want to share" message appears in that pod.

Similarly, if I configure a layout where in one sharepod I have the Powerpoint deck and in the other the application share, I would like to be able to set up an alternative layout that still contained the share along with other content -- that is, the same application share used across multiple layouts. I can do this as long as I duplicate the layout while the share is active and then move things around and add other content to the newly created layout. But once the share is ended, the sharepods become generic and don't recognize that they should maintain the share the next time I use the room in the same way.

Hopefully I've explained this well. :)

#4 2009-08-24 10:01:37

**_BCCAresearch_**

You may have better luck having both share pods on the same layout, although this approach may demand more bandwidth. As the presenter you can have multiple sharepods on the same layout. When you need to share your slides bring that pod to the front, when you need to share you app bring that pod to the front. Have the share pods slightly offset, so you can still click on the pod in the background.

This is what I've done in your present situation and its worked well for me. It's actually a trick  from the best practices group. This works to let the share pod in the background load for all users without them seeing the green progress bar. Doing this will get you into the presentation faster as you won't have to wait for it to load.

Hope this works for you.

Last edited by **_BCCAresearch_** (2009-08-24 10:03:48)

#5 2009-08-24 20:23:23

**_Olden_**

Thanks for the response. What you propose is what we're currently doing as a workaround. But it would still better server our purposes to be able to use the alternative layouts effectively. Currently, we can't switch layouts because of the problem with application share dropping. Using layouts would be much more convenient.

Thanks again.

#6 2009-09-09 10:08:36

**_Oliver.Kilb_**

I have a similar problem here. Usually I'm the only host, so I cannot change the meeting room's layout while screensharing. But, occasionally, I'd need to show a poll-pod or additional slides referring to my screensharing. Now, the way I do that is to stop the sharing, change to the next layout and restart the screensharing which causes some minor but annoying breaks.

Oliver

Board footer