Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#1 2020-02-21 11:52:54

KWHC_SM

Switching the video pod to full screen improves videostream-quality ?

hello dear connect community,

we broadcast a lot of webinars with adobe connect and with an hd video stream.
the camera is connected to a blackmagic pci video card in the pc via sdi.
We use wirecast as director software, whereby the video signal is output as a virtual camera. adobe recognizes this "camera" but only via chrome flash (not in the adobe connect software). we have now noticed that there are differences in the video quality for the participants. We have set up a layout in which the video pod is shown at the top left (for the participants and also for the "send computer").

Layout Adobe

The video is displayed not clear for the participants. Now we switch the video pod to full screen only on the send-computer (what the participants do not see) the video suddenly becomes sharper for the participants (see comparative pictures).

Stream Vergleich

can you explain this phenomenon or do you have a tip for us? video is sent in 1280x720 pixels.
how do you transmit an hd stream with which hardware?
what specifications must the stream have (bit rate etc.)?

thank you :)

Last edited by KWHC_SM (2020-02-21 11:55:51)

#2 2020-02-28 00:33:50

Jorma_at_CoSo

Re: Switching the video pod to full screen improves videostream-quality ?

Hello,

First, I'd recommend you use the Desktop App instead of Flash in the browser for a number of reasons. The biggest being the significant improvement of how live video is handled in the App. This has to do with the way that the sand-boxed version of Flash can be leveraged in the stand alone application. The other big reason would be the impending shutting off of Flash that Google will do in Chrome come Jan 1, 2021.

In the current version of Connect the video quality streamed is dynamically changed based on the size of the Video pod. So a video pod that is displayed as a 200 X 100 pixel box (for the sake of just using round numbers) will show a lower resolution video than one that is 1400 X 700 pixels. The video will only be streamed at the selected quality (720p is the highest that Connect supports) if the Video pod is large enough to support that resolution of video.

As a result, I believe you are seeing a quality difference as you make the pod larger and smaller.

While it is not really practical, from a bandwidth perspective, to stream a 720P video into a 'talking head' sized frame. Your second screen captures seem to be of the Video pod at full screen, which makes sense why the quality would be increased. If that does result in a better video experience for your audience, then it may be worth figuring out how to make that work, but I'm not really sure what the trick would be other than having two instances of the room open. One to broadcast the video with the pod maximized and one for the speaker to interact with the other pods, possibly.

I don't think changing your hardware will make much of a difference, so don't go throwing money at the problem in that way. Over the last decade or so, I've always tried to explain that Adobe Connect isn't a video conferencing platform, like many of its competitors, but rather a virtual collaboration platform that happens to have live video capabilities. Since the live video component isn't the primary focus or feature of this tool, it's not as capable as others you may find in the market place. Sadly, that is just a compromise that had to be made in the software to allow for bandwidth and processing power for all the other features in Connect.

Board footer