Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#1 2008-12-18 08:57:58

**_JCook_**

Synchronise slides to just 1 sidebar video

From speaking and demoing Connect for some years now this one has come up on a number of occasions. I love the idea of dropping video in the sidebar in order to narrate the content of the slide. The pain is if you want video throughout your presso you have to add video for each individual slide. I would love to be able to add just 1 sidebar video to the presso as a sidebar and then synchronise each PPT slide to that video.

You could then record a individual doing a keynote or session at a conference or whatever, get his or her slides and then link the slides to the one recorded video.  As the presenter is talking away the slides will then change while the video runs plays out.

Thanks,

James Cook.

Last edited by **_JCook_** (2008-12-18 09:05:24)

#2 2009-01-21 09:20:48

**_Daniel_**

Re: Synchronise slides to just 1 sidebar video

Would like to chime in on this idea offered above, and add another. I think Presenter has great potential and is a visionary product. Integrating video and slides more and more seamlessly is something I'd like to see. It would also help to have the same kind of editing tools available in the audio tab, to be used with video. For example, the ability to synchronize slide animations with video. The only way I have learned to do that currently is to create a "time code shotlist" from the video file, and then sync the animations in the audio editor. Be great to eliminate that multi-step process.

Daniel

#3 2009-12-01 04:22:53

**_tonyrizo_**

another way would be to use captivate, as you could import in your pptx slides and then import your video. setting the video file to play for the whole duration. though this early in the morning I am not sure sbout syncing up the slides to the video. of course this defeats the purpose of presenter.

#4 2010-02-12 14:18:38

**_Jerome_**

JCook wrote:

I would love to be able to add just 1 sidebar video to the presso as a sidebar and then synchronise each PPT slide to that video.

Yes that's a great great great idea...

-

I see that is written "resolved" in the top corner of that post... What does it mean ?

#5 2010-02-16 15:33:06

**_pafell_**

I agree that being able to drop video onto slide 1 (and have it play in the sidebar) and adjust sync of the slide changes to the video (since we already have this ability with audio) is something we are VERY much interested in.

With regard to doing it in Captivate... maybe I'm missing something but that doesn't necessarily seem like the easiest thing to do (especially if you do a LOT of these... which we do).  Then there's the issue of "Why should you have to purchase another piece of software to do something that Presenter can already do?"  Not that I have anything against Captivate -- we use it all the time.  It just seems like this is something that would be a natural evolution of a feature that already exists in Presenter.

BTW, can anyone from Adobe advise as to whether this is being considered for a future release of Presenter?  I know there are limitations on what you can/can't reveal, but if the answer is "no" could you at least tell us that this isn't in the development plan for the product? 

There really haven't been any significant enhancements to Presenter in quite some time.  Compare Presenter with Captivate which seems to come out with new versions every 12-18 months.  Is Presenter eventually going to be phased out and people encouraged to migrate to Captivate?

#6 2010-02-17 17:02:12

**_Jorma_at_RealEyes_**

pafell wrote:

can anyone from Adobe advise as to whether this is being considered for a future release of Presenter?  I know there are limitations on what you can/can't reveal, but if the answer is "no" could you at least tell us that this isn't in the development plan for the product? 

There really haven't been any significant enhancements to Presenter in quite some time.  Compare Presenter with Captivate which seems to come out with new versions every 12-18 months.  Is Presenter eventually going to be phased out and people encouraged to migrate to Captivate?

Being "not from Adobe" here is my 2 cents on where Presenter and Captivate are going. I don't see Presenter being "phased out", as it is a tool that does what no other Adobe tool can do. It works with PPT better than most other products out there. Does it have it's shortcomings? Sure, but what software doesn't. Presenter has had the traditional 12-18 month version update history, though since it was only available through a Connect purchase before version 7, that may have not been all that obvious. This .5 release has most likely done to align it with Connect to keep version consistency between the two products. As to what is coming, keep asking for features here as the product team does monitor this forum and will hear your requests. So the best way to see what features are coming, is to look at what everyone here wants. KEEP ASKING!!!

Captivate will continue to grow and change on it's own... looking forward to not only a Mac and PC version, but a consistent look and function between the two. My understanding is that one of the major goals for CS5 (Captivate included) is that there will be a consistent interface between all the products that Adobe has.

Keep in mind that while Captivate and Presenter do have similar functionality, they are different tools. If you can keep from cross pollinating between them, then life can become a little easier. If the information is best delivered through PPT, bullet points, images and simple animations, then Presenter is the tool to use. It keeps much of the PPT functionality without losing slide image quality. If it is best delivered through showing work-flows and application interactions, use Captivate. It does a great job of quickly capturing that information. The biggest recommendation I give to all my clients/students when it comes to these two products is this: If you need to bring the two together, create the information in PPT that needs to be delivered through PPT, then create the information in Cp that needs to be in Cp. Then, in the PPT, either bring in the Cp SWF or link to it so that you can have the best of both worlds.

Last edited by **_Jorma_at_RealEyes_** (2010-02-17 17:02:39)

#7 2010-02-18 09:52:19

**_pafell_**

With all due respect Jorma, I've been using both of these tools for years and I understand the strengths of both.  I think you somewhat missed the underlying point of my post.  You're correct in your observation that Presenter works best for projects that are PowerPoint-based.  My point was that our audiences are increasingly demanding that multimedia be an integral component of the training we deliver (especially video).  Video has been possible on a slide-by-slide basis in Presenter for years now.  I'm curious why Adobe hasn't yet taken it to the next logical step -- easily synchronizing video to an entire PowerPoint slide deck.  Chopping up my video into 60 pieces and attaching each piece to its relevant slide is a very time consuming and inefficient process.

Regarding the 12-18 month release cycle, while it may be true we've gone from 7.0 to 7.01 to 7.02 to 7.05, with the exception of being able to add FLV video to the body of a slide (vs. only in the sidebar) can you name ONE significant new feature that's been added to the product in the last 24 months?  I can't.

Don't get me wrong -- I think Presenter is a valuable part of the Adobe eLearning ecosystem.  It is frustrating that its evolution doesn't seem to be progressing as quickly as Captivate or even Connect itself.

I'd be happy to share my laundry list of suggestions for improvements to Presenter if someone from Adobe would reach out to me and let me know whom I should send those ideas to.

#8 2010-09-19 22:50:32

**_jessicaleahy_**

Jerome wrote:
JCook wrote:

I would love to be able to add just 1 sidebar video to the presso as a sidebar and then synchronise each PPT slide to that video.

Yes that's a great great great idea...

-

I see that is written "resolved" in the top corner of that post... What does it mean ?

I guess it means that the problem/issues has been fixed.:)

#9 2010-12-09 09:49:40

**_vultur_**

thanks for information...

#10 2010-12-10 00:39:11

**_Purnima_**

pafell wrote:

With all due respect Jorma, I've been using both of these tools for years and I understand the strengths of both.  I think you somewhat missed the underlying point of my post.  You're correct in your observation that Presenter works best for projects that are PowerPoint-based.  My point was that our audiences are increasingly demanding that multimedia be an integral component of the training we deliver (especially video).  Video has been possible on a slide-by-slide basis in Presenter for years now.  I'm curious why Adobe hasn't yet taken it to the next logical step -- easily synchronizing video to an entire PowerPoint slide deck.  Chopping up my video into 60 pieces and attaching each piece to its relevant slide is a very time consuming and inefficient process.

Regarding the 12-18 month release cycle, while it may be true we've gone from 7.0 to 7.01 to 7.02 to 7.05, with the exception of being able to add FLV video to the body of a slide (vs. only in the sidebar) can you name ONE significant new feature that's been added to the product in the last 24 months?  I can't.

Don't get me wrong -- I think Presenter is a valuable part of the Adobe eLearning ecosystem.  It is frustrating that its evolution doesn't seem to be progressing as quickly as Captivate or even Connect itself.

I'd be happy to share my laundry list of suggestions for improvements to Presenter if someone from Adobe would reach out to me and let me know whom I should send those ideas to.

You can add ideas/suggestion here in Connect Users forum and also at http://ideas.adobe.com -> Product Adobe Connect And sub Area Adobe Presenter. Connect Product management look at ideas submitted there and you can even see how many people sync with your idea.

#11 2011-06-22 21:26:21

**_oldkingcole3_**

Presenter needs to be able to play video as feedback in quiz questions too. One can play audio, but for some reason, not video. Since the practice of using digital coaches/avatars to guide learners through the course is becoming increasingly common, it seems obvious that many designers would like to have the avatar provide quiz question feedback. I know I wanted to do that on the last project I did, but had to abandon the idea due to lack of capability in Presenter.

Thanks!

-Ray

Board footer