Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#1 2018-10-21 10:54:58

David Röthler

Adobe Connect 10

I just had short look at the new version of Adobe Connect 10 this morning.

What I experienced:

- The HTML client cannot display PPT-Presentations
- The HTML client cannot broadcast video of participants
- The HD video camera option results in slim video aspect ratio on my Macbook Pro.

I am a bit disappointed... to be honest.

#2 2018-10-23 05:41:06

Katharine Iles

Re: Adobe Connect 10

I agree - I was really looking forward to it being more accessible as HTML, but not being able to view PPT is a huge issue.  I've not given HTLM access on any rooms yet as a lot of redesign will be needed to make them work :-(

#3 2018-10-23 09:15:20

Katharine Iles

In adobe connect 10 the login screen now has a huge full colour image as the banner in the RHS.  You should be able to customise it, but that feature is not working.  It is apparently logged as a bug and they are working on it.  It does look quite different so be prepared for users to be surprised !

#4 2018-10-23 11:03:13

John C

Bad release. We have four "presenters", all have had different issues attempting to access. Presenter 1: The desktop app doesn't work, Presenter 2: the slides do not appear, Presenter 3: the slides do not advance, Presenter 4: the slides take forever to load. Unfortunately we are hosted or I would reverse. It an hour, our customers arrive. Adobe Connect v10.0.0 should not have been released or released in limited way.

#5 2018-10-29 11:29:21

ChrisH311

Agree with Katehrine and David!  This version 10 is a complete & utter hot mess... From the ridiculous new banner image that can't be changed to the fact that PPT-based presentations aren't compatible with HTML5 viewing.

If PPT-based stuff can't be viewed for HTML5 participants, what good is this change at all???  I would think that most of us content developers rely on PPT as the foundation of our Adobe Connect presentations. 

Version 10 is a huge swing-and-a-miss so far.

#6 2018-11-01 14:12:59

kang0372

No version 10 isn't perfect, but for the most part it's been working for me.  I am disappointed that the banner image can't be changed at this time.  However, the new HD video feed is a great new feature.  VOIP audio has been improved as well. I'll be glad when the next version is able to provide PDF and PPT support in the HTML share pod, but the desktop app and the legacy Flash support is still working for now.  So I'll just be keeping HTML client support off to avoid any issues.

#7 2018-12-05 16:47:41

jdrane

I agree with all 6 posts and have experienced just about all of them. Very disappointed with this release and more disappointed with the support from Adobe. Audio Streaming keeps disconnecting, presentations take so long to load we had to use PDF's to get through the presentation.

#8 2018-12-06 10:33:42

alistairlee

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I want to take the opportunity to comment on some of these experiences.

The HTML client doesn't yet support the document types available in the desktop client (such as PPT, PDF, MP4, etc). We are working to add this functionality in an upcoming release and I understand it means you can't use the HTML client for many use cases today. For that reason, although the HTML functionality is available by default on all accounts, we've defaulted it to be off for all rooms. We decided that it would be better to release a version of the HTML client that some customers could use immediately rather than waiting for complete feature parity. Especially since many web conferencing vendors don't support uploading content at all. I want to stress though that we are adding support for these features (and more) - stay tuned!

With regards to the banner, this has always been designed to be customizable. There was a bug in 10.0 that caused changes not to take effect unless you were updating the logo at the same time. I'm happy to report that this issue has been resolved in 10.1 which is available now.

Thanks,
Alistair

#9 2018-12-06 12:06:21

jdrane

Hi Alistair,

Can you comment on the slow loading of presentations in the sharing pods? Is this a know issue that is going to be resolved in the 10.1 release this weekend? We are seeing 45 sec to over 1 minute for the presentations to load, but it seems it is for the host and not the participants, which doesn't really make a difference if the host can't advanced the slides?

Thanks,
Jim

Last edited by jdrane (2018-12-06 12:10:33)

#10 2018-12-06 14:09:00

Sergio

Alistair,

In the 10.1 release, can an administrator prevent the use of the HTML client across the entire account?  Or is it a setting that is controlled at the room level only?   As an on-premise administrator I'm reluctant to upgrade from version 9.8.2 (which is stable) to 10.X if I can't prevent the use of the HTML client, which is not mature at this time.

Thanks,
Sergio

#11 2018-12-06 15:10:01

alistairlee

Hi Jim,

Yes - I'm happy to report that the slow loading PPT content has also been resolved in 10.1. This is an issue we were mostly seeing in Europe and it has been resolved.

Sergio - Yes, 10.1 (and 10.0) allow an administrator to enable or disable HTML at the entire account level. Room hosts will only have the option to enable it if an administrator has turned it on. An adminstrator can disable it for all room types, or selectively for Meeting Rooms, Virtual Classrooms, or Seminars. I have a video here which goes through the options:
https://youtu.be/F4UQNSvkNX0/

Thanks,
Alistair

#12 2019-01-10 14:01:05

LaRube

What version of 9.x is required to move to 10.0? I am at 9.5.2 can I move directly to 10.0 or are there intermediate patches I need to deploy?

Thanks

#13 2019-01-11 17:01:30

Jorma_at_CoSo

Connect 10.0 wasn't ever released for on-premise deployments. You will need to go to 10.1 (trust me, it's better that way).

Upgrade paths for on-premise deployments
Here are the prerequisites for this release:

From Adobe Connect 8.x, first upgrade to Adobe Connect 9.
From Adobe Connect 9.x.

https://helpx.adobe.com/adobe-connect/r … notes.html

One thing to keep in mind before upgrading is there is a new component that comes with Connect 10, the Adobe Connect Transmuxing Server (ACTS). This is what delivers the HTML version of Connect. So you may need to provision a new server to run this service, if you plan on using the HTML version.

#14 2019-01-23 11:30:29

Kevin

Jorma_at_CoSo wrote:

Connect 10.0 wasn't ever released for on-premise deployments. You will need to go to 10.1 (trust me, it's better that way).

Upgrade paths for on-premise deployments
Here are the prerequisites for this release:

From Adobe Connect 8.x, first upgrade to Adobe Connect 9.
From Adobe Connect 9.x.

https://helpx.adobe.com/adobe-connect/r … notes.html

One thing to keep in mind before upgrading is there is a new component that comes with Connect 10, the Adobe Connect Transmuxing Server (ACTS). This is what delivers the HTML version of Connect. So you may need to provision a new server to run this service, if you plan on using the HTML version.

Hey Jorma,

Any thoughts on how ACTS should be rolled out?  In an 8-node cluster environment, should each server also include ACTS?

Thanks,
Kevin

#15 2019-02-04 14:09:07

Jorma_at_CoSo

Kevin,

That's a great question and I don't yet have an answer for it. Ultimately, it seems like it could be run on one or a couple of the Connect servers and shared among the pool, but I'd worry about system resources being saturated. We're looking into whether it can be used as a resource for the cluster (1-3 ACTS servers clustered) or if one needs to be dedicated for each Connect server (I really hope it's not this).

because the ACTS servers seem to have such strong performance numbers, it looks like the option to add a small pool of ACTS servers to the cluster looks promising. Once I have a more definite answer, I'll report here.

#16 2019-09-04 14:56:54

Kevin

Jorma_at_CoSo wrote:

Kevin,

That's a great question and I don't yet have an answer for it. Ultimately, it seems like it could be run on one or a couple of the Connect servers and shared among the pool, but I'd worry about system resources being saturated. We're looking into whether it can be used as a resource for the cluster (1-3 ACTS servers clustered) or if one needs to be dedicated for each Connect server (I really hope it's not this).

because the ACTS servers seem to have such strong performance numbers, it looks like the option to add a small pool of ACTS servers to the cluster looks promising. Once I have a more definite answer, I'll report here.

Hey Jorma,

Did you get any more details on ACTS?

Thanks,
K

#17 2019-09-17 08:50:19

Jorma_at_CoSo

Currently we're deploying the ACTS servers as a shared resource among multiple Connect servers. They seem to be able to handle the load sufficiently, but we don't have a large number of people using the HTML version of Connect at the moment. But, based on the performance expectations and what we've seen from the light use, it looks like you should be able to deploy ATCS like you do AMG. A single ACTS server in a cluster may be sufficient.

Board footer