Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#1 2016-07-05 12:27:23

cuc1467738395

Downloading an RTMP stream

So I found the RTMP link to the stream that I'd like to download locally using the instructions here.

However, I've been unable to find a method of downloading this stream locally via FFmpeg. I've got my commands to work with other RTMP streams, but the stream from Adobe Connect really doesn't want to download.

I've URL encoded the RTMP URL in the same form as the above link shows. I've tried numerous different formats for the URL. Command being run and the error that it gets is (with the URL censored to remove any possibly sensitive information):

ffmpeg -i rtmp://XXXXXXX.adobeconnect.com:1935/%3Frtmp%3A%2F%2Fbacpv1app01%3A8506%2Fmeetingas3app%2FXXXXXXXXXX%2F -loglevel debug -c copy dump.flv
Property: <Name:              level, STRING:    error>
Property: <Name:               code, STRING:    NetStream.Play.Failed>
Property: <Name:        description, STRING:    Invalid tincan object name (stream ID: 1).>
Property: <Name:           clientid, STRING:    oAACAAAA>

Closing connection: NetStream.Play.Failed
<the URL again>: Unknown error occurred

The RTMP URL that I'm given by Adobe Connect via the linked method above is in the form of

rtmp://XXXXXXX.adobeconnect.com:1935/?rtmp://bacpv1app01:8506/meetingas3app/XXXXXXXXXX/XXXXXXXXXX/

It doesn't seem to make a difference whether or not the last part of the path is there. The reason I've tried removing it is because of this incredibly vague thread (which doesn't really solve the problem because I got no idea what the user is talking about.

#2 2016-07-05 13:27:50

Jorma_at_CoSo

Re: Downloading an RTMP stream

Well, first we need to take a step back. You are kind of trying to compare apples, oranges and pears here.

Adobe Connect is built on FMS/AMS technology. The Meeting rooms are broadcast using RTMP, but it is not a single media flie that is streamed and will not be something you can simply download locally. There is an underlying instance of AMS that Adobe Connect uses but it is highly customized and cannot be used as a traditional AMS server.

The first article is very old, though not invalid, and is just showing a way to identify what protocol you are connected by, the port number and the server you are getting the media from. In your example above, you connected to the server via RTMP over port 1935. Depending on circumstance and configuration you could see a connection via RTMPT over port 80 or RTMPS over port 443. This is more informational for help with firewall configuration and troubleshooting, not to capture the meeting room stream. It is also worth keeping in mind that in a clustered environment (such as beeing hosted by Adobe) you will likely see a different meeting server each time. You can also get this information by using the Test Meeting Connection page for your server instance. Just put your server url here , http://YourServerHere.adobeconnect.com/common/help/en/support/meeting_test.htm.

Your second link is to a forum for Adobe Media Server specifically, and doesn't apply to Adobe Connect.

If you need to see what is being broadcast to create the Connect Meeting, you can download a Meeting recording by adding /output/YourNameHere.zip?download=zip to the url for the recording and you will get a zip file* with the recording source FLV and XML files. The Connect server uses these files to create the meeting room.

* NOTE: These are not going to be playable files so this is not a solution for you to downlaod the meeting's streaming files.

Can you give a clear description of what you are trying to do? I think if we better understood your goals we could help guide you in paths for a solution.

#3 2016-07-05 14:21:01

cuc1382630353

Thank you for your very helpful reply!

The reason we're trying to make this work is because we've found no other viable options to automate the download of a meeting recording.  We make extensive use of the API to create/modify/report on meetings, but our solution is incomplete.  We WERE seriously considering the MP4 download that was available, but that option has now been discontinued.  The improvements to the client to provide MP4 conversion when making the recording offline are great, but is not an API.  Other third parties can provide MP4 output of meetings, but again not with a programmatic interface.  And so, in a desperate attempt to find a solution, we thought there might be a chance to capture the RTMP stream.

I am aware of the .zip download and in fact have used it in the past to reconstruct the meeting.  Unfortunately, I saw limited success.  I had to essentially reverse-engineer the metadata file to determine timings for the individual video and audio files, but this only worked well if there was absolutely no issues with the recordings.  As often happens, if there is a "glitch" in any of the media files (due to network latency/interruptions, etc.) the timings don't always accommodate it, and the output becomes very difficult to put together with everything synced.  This is challenging enough that again, we were searching for other potential solutions.  This was very frustrating, as the .zip also represents the highest-quality output of the meeting recording and is not subject to the quality inconsistencies that can affect the offline download with the client.

If you've got any other suggestions, whether it's another approach, or advice to handle the .zip better, we would absolutely appreciate it!

#4 2016-07-05 14:37:14

Jorma_at_CoSo

I think you would be best served by having a conversation with eSyncTraining about their MP4 conversion solution. Their solution is an improvement on the serverside solution Adobe was providing. If you email me, I'll get you intouch with them to have a serious conversation about how they could help meet your needs. My email is jorma[at]realeyesconnect.com.

#5 2016-07-05 15:00:55

cuc1382630353

I appreciate that, but they're one of the "third party" I was referring to in my original post.  I've had discussions with them and found that unfortunately they do not have, at the moment, an API for their conversion solution.

#6 2016-07-11 14:08:39

jonat

I am trying to do the exact same thing here.

I tried (with no luck) to grab the RTMP URL to be able to get a MP4 file from it. As cuc1382630353, I know about the ZIP file and the Make Offline option but it doesn't suit us. I cannot ask to the people using AC to make offline their own video... This is way too much time consuming we need to be able to do something thru the API.

If a thirdparty can do so, why this cannot be provided by AC?

#7 2016-07-11 14:30:05

Jorma_at_CoSo

There was a server side (not API) MP4 converstion solution that Adobe used to provide for hosted customers. But there weren't enough customers who purchased this feature to keep it, so Adobe dropped it.

Is there a reason the recording playback from the server won't work?

#8 2016-07-12 06:55:13

jonat

There is many reasons to do so, here is two:

1- Backup : I have tons and tons of recordings but I can't keep them foreever. Extracting the data is useless offline (using the zip file). Exporting as FLV/MP4 is time consuming.

2- Mobile usage: My users isn't stuck in the 90's, they all have mobile phone, tablet, etc. Having me or anyone to convert all my recording to MP4 is a slow process. But if I could do it using an API that would be quite fast.. Good! If the mobile apps could play a recording... Even Better!

Last edited by jonat (2016-07-12 06:57:10)

#9 2018-01-24 15:07:42

Kevin

We struggle with the same.  We're using an automated screen scrape script, it's Flintstones, but does the job for now.  Definitely not scale-able.

Board footer