Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#1 2016-05-31 13:45:44

Robbson

Universal Voice & different conference codes

Hello,

I try to use a conference call provider using Universal Voice.
It basically works but I'm totally confused about the idea that I can only set one conference code (or access code) for all users in the audio provider.

Because to access the audio conference (via phone or Connect audio bridge) the admin/moderator of the session uses a different conference (access) code than all the other participants (students).

Even if I use the audio provider's place-holder "Defined By Host" I can only associate a single access code for all users because there is only one audio profile that can be set for each meeting.

As far as I understand it, the "Dial-in Steps" that are configured in the audio provider are used for Connect to establish the audio bridge between the usual microphone users and the phone users so they can listen to each other.
The bridge is established when the meeting host enters the room so it makes sense that the "Dial-in Steps" are configured to use the host's (moderator) access code.

But what about the student's access code? How should I tell them which access code to use after dialing-in? The only place I can find so far is specifying those numbers in the "Dial-in numbers" list of the audio provider right after the phone numbers.
But in those fields a "Defined By Host" or a place holder like that is unfortunately not available.

That means a lot of work for us for creating and maintaining a lot of audio profiles and audio providers even though we only have one audio conference provider.
It's because we have a lot of hosts in Connect and in theory each of them could do a meeting in parallel to the others. So each host requires his own audio profile (having a separate moderator conference code) and a separate audio provider because the student's access codes can't be placed anywhere else.

I wonder why the flexibility of the configuration is so limited or is there anything else that I've missed?

Thanks,
Robin

#2 2016-05-31 13:57:51

Jorma_at_CoSo

Re: Universal Voice & different conference codes

Robin,

The functionality of the Universal Voice (UV) connection is as you described. A method to have the Adobe Connect room dial into the phone bridge to facilitate two way communication between users on the phone and using VoIP as well as allowing the recording of the phone audio in the meeting.

Since the UV setup is basic and doesn't have the ability to call out to users, there isn't really a vechicle for the room to use multiple access codes. There is just one connection between Connect and the phone bridge. The users are calling into the phone bridge on their own so Connect doesn't have a way to mange that. However, you can set up different access code(s) to show in a few different ways.

- The Dial In Numbers section when setting up the UV bridge. You can put whatever information is relevant to the users here. It doesn't have to match the dial in information below.
AudioProfile-2.png

- The Notes pod in the meeting room.

I prefer the Notes pod because I can change the information quickly and easily whenever I need. This allows me to give the participants who are dialing in a clear and easy to find description of what they need to do to dial into the bridge.

Now there is another option and that is going with one of the fully integrated teleconferencing providers. They have more control/functionality in the meeting room and could probably better deal with your needs. They may not have exaclty the same workflow, but should be able to identify individuals who call in and track their time on the phone (if that is what you are doing). It may be worth talking with Intercall or one of the other providers to see if they can meet your needs and match or beat your current rate.

#3 2016-06-01 04:32:55

Robbson

Jorma,

thank you very much for your clarification.
Our meetings are created using the XML API and some templates. As far as I know the content of the Notes Pod can't be set using the API so the only option would be having a lot of meeting templates just for having different content in the notes. Hosts/Trainers should not care about this.
In our case I would prefer to store the access code in the Dial-In Numbers list because even though we have a lot of provider configurations that way it can be done using the API which makes management of changes easier.

We are also going to try one of the integrated phone conferencing providers. Unfortunately this takes some time because most of them don't have public price lists and all has to be negotiated. Also we are only interested in affordable but good quality dial-ins from China where Internet performance in combination with Connect/RTMP traffic is disastrous.

I wonder if the host of the session can still have access to the number keys (like on a telephone) in Connect so he can control the conference features that can be used using DTMF. Or is this also only available for integrated providers?
But it's not about controlling the phone users using the Connect meeting controls and buttons, just using DTMF that gets routed to the phone line.

Ideally the UV audio provider config would have not only dial in steps but also steps for other common functionality that could be mapped to functions in Connect, e.g. "Mute a user" -> 6#.

Thanks,
Robin

#4 2016-06-01 10:18:23

Jorma_at_CoSo

Robin,

Only the fully integrated prodivders have the ability to do functions like the star commands in the meeting interface. Things such as mute/unmute users, turn on lecture mode, adjust volume, hang up user, etc. can be done with either the meeting UI or through DTMF commands. With a UV bridge only the DTMF commands are available.

Now there are third party solutions like rPhone from RefinedData, but I have no idea on their coverage in China or their cost.

You are correct that there is no method of populating the Notes pod via XML. But there may be other ways to meet that need. Let me look into that.

#5 2016-06-01 10:33:43

Robbson

Jorma_at_RealEyes wrote:

Robin,
With a UV bridge only the DTMF commands are available.

How can I enter those DTMF commands from Connect? Is there a menu entry?

#6 2016-06-01 10:45:24

Jorma_at_CoSo

There isn't an option to enter DTMF commands in Connect, the fully integrated providers have UI equivilant functions. Any DTMF commands need to be done with a phone.

#7 2016-06-07 06:08:38

Robbson

Hello Jorma,

we just run some tests using 2 providers configured by UV and also an integrated provider.
The UV providers worked more or less as expected. The only issue there is that if a phone conference participant is missing all Connect meeting participants can hear the waiting room music of the moderator.
But still, the audio bridge works.

The integrated provider (we tried to use MeetingOne) was very disappointing. In theory it has a lot of interesting features.
But it doesn't work in practice. Even though the audio bridge is established when the host starts the meeting, the participants who dial-in via phone can't access the room because the moderator isn't there.
The only way to make it work is that the trainer dials-in via phone himself. But this doesn't make sense because there is no integration that way.

Unfortunately the MeetingOne support says that this behavior is expected to be like this!??
I wonder if they know their own product offer or we are totally wrong about the integration and it delivers less than UV.

Thanks,
Robin

#8 2020-01-07 16:55:13

James Andrews

Hi

Are you still having issues ?

I host for lots of companies in China and know the issues well.  The telephone services can be quite expensive.  Because of this I set up my own server in China and the adobe VOIP works great!  No sky high audio conference bridge bills

Feel free to contact me through linkedin :

https://www.linkedin.com/in/chinaeliteconsulting

Or email me :

eliteconsultingglobal at gmail dot com

Board footer