Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#1 2015-01-28 09:38:28

combsra

VOIP vs Conference Call Audio

Can a meeting support both VOIP and Conference Call Audio?  If recording the meeting, will Connect capture the Conference Call Audio when recording the meeting (I don't think so, unless I go through Audio Management).

Is one better than the other - why?

These meetings will be international - if that makes a difference.

Thanks!
Rachel

#2 2015-01-28 11:14:51

Jorma_at_CoSo

Re: VOIP vs Conference Call Audio

Can a meeting support both VOIP and Conference Call Audio? Yes. This can be done with either the fully integrated phone bridge providers or through any SIP compliant conference bridge and the Universal Voice (UV) function in Connect.

If recording the meeting, will Connect capture the Conference Call Audio when recording the meeting (I don't think so, unless I go through Audio Management).
The meeting will record any audio it is aware of. So if you use the UV function (yes it is something you have to set up in Connect prior to your meeting) then it will be able to hear and record your audio.

Is one better than the other - why? Well, I'd have to answer yes, but the problem is they both have their strong points. So depending on your need, one will be better than the other. Pros of the phone; everyone knows how to use a phone, clean reliable audio, most phones with speaker phone function do audio duplexing. Pros of VoIP; its free to use (well it doesn't cost you more money than you have already paid for Adobe Connect), is easily controlled who has the ability to broadcast audio, its built into Connect so there is very litte setup required. Cons of the phone; can be expensive, can take a little bit of set up with Connect. Cons of VoIP; people can be resistant to using VoIP, audio quality is directly related to quality of hardware and individual setup, minimizing echos and feed back are possible.

Short answer, if cost is an issue (especially with international groups) use VoIP. Run some tests ahead of time to work out any harware config issues. If cost isn't an issue, then use the phone or a combination of phone and VoIP.

Board footer