Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#1 2014-09-26 09:40:58

SteveKrivitsky

MP3 Player with Playlist

I am developing simple courseware that requires the use of ten audio files on demand. The audio files are in MP3 format.

I have tried using the MP3 player in the pod with limited success.  The problem is that is extremely painful to establish the content in a given class.  I have attempted to upload the files in MyContent, identifying the link to each file, and place that information in the XML file uploaded with the MP3 player.

For whatever reason (I believe that DCO will not allow me to update the files to viewable in search), but those https:// links will not load the audios.

I have tried to batch load the MP3 audios with the index.swf and songs.xml file, using the url as the current folder with the appropriate file name. No luck there.

I have been able to load each audio into the Shared Files pod, copying the links, and placing those links in the xml file.  This works, and would normally be fine, but each Practical Exercise has 10 audios, and I have 25 exercises. 

Lastly, I need a method that shows the ten audios in a playlist.  It is necessary to play specific audios at specific times during the class in sequence, but they should be easy to navigate to, and they should not string together and continue playing.... play audio... discuss... complete work... play audio again... check work... move to next audio. 

Any thoughts on how to do it?  I would purchase a swf MP3 player with a playlist online, but I don't know if it will actually work. Nor would it guarantee the issues I have with mass uploading and file management would be mitigated.

Thoughts, comments, sympathy... whatever... is greatly appreciated.

#2 2014-09-26 10:28:33

Jorma_at_CoSo

Re: MP3 Player with Playlist

I'll throw in my 2c. And, sorry for the frustration, but you are looking for a fairly unique usecase. That said, here is how I would go about it.

The MP3 Player - You need to use the download link for the MP3 file, not just the Connect link. So instead of it having http|//mycompany.adobeconnect.com/pn8a82an1 you would have http|//mycompnay.adobeconnect.com/pn8a82an1/output/MySong.mp3?download=MySong.mp3 in the xml. That took me a whilt to figure out too, so hopefullly that helps sort that out.

If the MP3 player won't work for your usecase, then you might want to look at using a product like Adobe Presenter or Adobe Captivate. I'll use Presenter as my example. If you have a PPT presentation that you are sharing and at a specific slide you need to hav the audio file, you can import that audio with presenter and then, at the right time tell the presenation to play. The presentation will be sync'd, menaning that when you press play it plays for everyone, so you will be in controll of what the audience hears and when they hear it. You could also just have a PPT deck with a series of audio files associated with it using Presenter and you just play them at the appropriate time. (This can also be done with Captivate, but may be easier/faster with Presenter)

Finally, if you don't need the playlist idea, you could just have a series of Share pods in the room that you upload the MP3 audio to. Each pod instance has a different MP3 and you just play them as needed.

#3 2014-09-26 11:45:42

SteveKrivitsky

I've got the MP3 player to work by placing the audio files in the Shared Files. Once there, I copied the links as appropriate and added them to the xml file.  For linking 250 audios, it will take a great deal of time and patience to ensure the links are correct and function correctly.

I had tried placing the files in My Content and using those links - easier to understand the file name that would be required in the xml file.  I tried four or five different methods of writing the link to no avail.

I think you're right that I have a special use case.  If I had the ability to use playlists, I may be able to host the audio files outside of DCO. That would make writing the xml files very easy, without the unpredictable url address for the downloads.  In my case, I believe I would still need to have a playlist in order to manage the ten audios per exercise.  Our naming conventions for those files align with how they are displayed easily enough (alpha numeric).  I think what I'm looking for is ease of operation.

My intent was to have one meeting template for each practical exercise.  I could then update just the file names in the xml file, upload, and done.  Management by the instructor of the audios would be done through the sequential playlist.   

I appreciate your insights.  I uploaded the audios into a single formatted pod for now.  Changing the audio is only a function of selecting the appropriate file to share.  I was just trying to find something that was easier for the instructor to navigate, particularly if they are not so familiar with the GUI.

#4 2014-09-26 12:08:04

Jorma_at_CoSo

Makes sense.

You would want to make sure that the MP3 is set to publicly viewable in Connect, so there isn't an authentication step mucks up the works behind the scene. However, you can link to external audio files with the MP3 pod. Just put a valid link and it should work. Though, I'm not sure what the DCO deployment will or will not allow as far as external media.

Did you try having multiple Share pods with different MP3's in them? That can help elminiate or reduce the amount of menu navigation required to find the appropriate MP3. Multiple layouts could be used as well.

Wish I had a better answer, but the reality is either figuring out a way that can work or building your own custom pod for this function.

#5 2014-09-26 12:26:50

SteveKrivitsky

DCO is a peculiar animal.  I thought I could upload the audio source files to My Content, use the link to the folder created, and have everything cooking with gas.  Not so much.

I can't even make the files public in the My Content section. I thought that was the problem initially. The link to the folders in My Content didn't include the "/download/output/audio.mp3" ending that I expected. Just the end of the folder.

And, you'll have to fogive me... I am not a computer science type of guy. I went to public school. I play with the application until it breaks or works.  So, if I call something by an inappropriate name, I apologize.

With your ideas, I have a solution to meet my needs for today.  Now I just need to find an easier means of delivery for those instructors.  Thank you very much for your comments and suggestions. They've been put to use!

#6 2014-09-26 12:56:31

Jorma_at_CoSo

Ha ha, I too am a product of the public school system and have learned by breaking (or occationly not breaking) the application.

If it helps, here is where I get the full download link for the MP3 file.

lQ0kqlLuh-BQAdFqOVUr_RTxGBItufZ4cc6C7eWBhaBXJqzDu40RG2aABLPduPz8EDS0v7wu3Ds=w1886-h825

Right clicking on the link to download the MP3 will give me the option to save the link and then I can paste it in the XML file. The reason it won't work with the content link is because that calls on Connect's own audio player SWF file to give you play back controls and doesn't actually expose the MP3. By asking for the download link, only the MP3 is delivered and can be played back in the MP3 Player pod.

Board footer