Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#1 2014-07-01 09:55:13

clewis

Courses across multiple curriculum

I've been testing with Core requirements for courses in training, and so far I have not been able to find a way to have Connect recognize that a course has been complete in multiple curriculum.  For example, I have a core curriculum that is required prior to taking additional curriculum.  The core contains a couple of modules(courses and exam) that is generic to several other curriculum.  So for now we will say I have core, track 1 and track 2 as curriculum.  I would like to be at track 1 with core included and track 2 with core included.  But from what I can tell, when the core course and exam are marked as complete in track 1 those results do not carry over into track 2.  They both show the same course ID information, so I don't see why track 2 wouldn't show the course results.  Requiring users to take the course and exam in two separate curricula seems counter intuitive and redundant.  The goal of this is so that we can have our users self-enroll in either track 1 or track 2 without having to wait for them to complete the core curriculum...since one curriculum can't be a prerequisite for another (at least from what I've seen).  Any suggestions?

#2 2014-07-01 10:21:39

Jorma_at_CoSo

Re: Courses across multiple curriculum

It sounds like you have multiple courses that are identical. What I would recommend is that you create your core Courses and place them in a folder in the Shared Training library. Then when you create new Curriculum that require those Courses, you reference the existing courses, rather than creating new ones from the original Content. This way every Curriculum will reference the same Course (same SCO ID in Connect) and users will get credit for having previously taken it.

Does that make sense?

#3 2014-07-01 10:46:53

clewis

That does make sense.  We currently have one person performing the uploads, and I think he is creating content by uploading directly into a curriculum rather than uploading as content and applying to curriculum. 
In my tests, I have been using his uploads in my test curriculum which may be throwing off the ID.  I don't think anything is being duplicated, but I can definitely test that as well.
Thanks once again for your help, Jorma.  I'm still learning the training module after being only a meeting and seminar host for 2 years.

#4 2014-07-01 11:13:26

Jorma_at_CoSo

It can be confusing, and there are so many ways to get to your end result that it is easy to get down a path that may have unexpected/unintended results.

Let us know if it does or doesn't work out and we'll keep trying to clear the muddy waters!

#5 2014-07-01 11:48:00

clewis

I see that.  We just did a simple test with a Captivate upload to content and then into a curriculum versus Captivate upload into course and then into curriculum and that seems to resolve the issue.  I wasn't sure of his workflow, so I was pulling the test course from the curriculum resources folder. 
We have 5 curriculum tracks already created with completed users, so it may now be a case of future implementation.

Board footer