Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#1 2014-05-01 12:15:09

Keith

Adobe Connect Recording Playback Issue on iPad

When I click on an Adobe Connect recording link (public) inside of my email I get the following message:

"Adobe Connect requires Flash Player 10.3 or above."

I constantly receive this message on my ipad2 and ipad3.  However, I get access to all AC meetings which links I clicked on inside of my email.  I would like to know if mobile devices can play Adobe Connect recordings?  Thanks.

#2 2014-05-01 12:29:45

Jorma_at_CoSo

Re: Adobe Connect Recording Playback Issue on iPad

Meeting recordings are not supported on iOS or Android devices at this time. The Connect Meeting app is for live meetings only.

#3 2014-05-01 12:57:27

Keith

Thanks Jorma for the prompt response.  I really appreciate your help.

#4 2014-05-01 14:30:37

Jorma_at_CoSo

Glad I could give you an answer, just wish it was a different one!

#5 2014-11-12 15:34:03

Diane C.

Jorma,

Has anything changed with watching recordings on an iPad?

#6 2014-11-12 17:02:49

Jorma_at_CoSo

Well, yes and no. The app is still the same and doesn't support recording playback.

There is now an option you can purchase for your account (if hosted with Adobe) to have the ability to have your recordings converted to MP4 videos. The MP4's should play back on iOS devices. The option isn't cheap, but if you need it, it can be worth the purchase. Your reseller should be able to get you pricing.

#7 2016-06-21 07:35:44

Peter Villevoye

Well, I just spent another precious hour during my holiday on trying to review a recording. The Connect app on my iPad kept throwing me back to Safari. So I started tweaking the URL, trying to watch it in VLC, trying to access a public desktop PC, but of course I need to supply an admin password to install the Connect plugin... All in vain !

Those eternal Flash apps and Flash Video format, why can't we just get rid of it, or at least get over it and turn to normal HTML5 supported video resources ?

#8 2016-06-21 15:53:52

Jorma_at_CoSo

Short answer:

HTML5 doesn't have the functional capabilities of Flash and since Meeting recordings are done in a way that allows the Connect server to re-create the live meeting experience with all interactive functions remaining interactive, it just can't be displayed as HTML5 at this point.

Why the mobile app doesn't support recordings, I honestly don't know. I have asked and never really got an answer myself.

Long answer:

Despite the battle cry for the death of Flash, there isn't a technology that can sufficiently replace it for live, low latency applications. While I do understand that the low latency aspect isn't a big deal for recordings, it is worth understanding why Flash remains the primary technology that Adobe Connect is built on.

Adobe is working toward a non-Flash version of Adobe Connect, but it will take some time for there to be a solution that creates a seamless experience between the Flash and non-Flash versions. Here is Adobe's latest statement on how they are addressing the move from Flash dependancy, http://blogs.adobe.com/adobeconnect/2016/02/add-in.html.

It is also worth noting that now MP4 converstion is a no cost option but is no longer done server side. This is discussed in the above blog post. If you do want an MP4 conversion solution for your recordings there is one offered by eSyncTraining and it can create closed captions for your recordings. However, this is a paid service.

So the honest answer is that meeting recordings are not a video file. There is no magic MP4 or FLV sitting on the Connect servers that you can access. Doing the conversion or recording of the session in a way that would create an MP4 on the Connect server would just take more system resources, reducing the capability of the Connect application to deliver rich and real time collaborative sessions.

Your mention of needing admin rights to install the Connect plugin (Add-in?) seems to me that you were trying to install it with the EXE file available through the downloads website for Adobe Connect. If you need it installed on a computer, you can join a meeting room and start a screen share and it should install the Add-in without requiring admin rights. You should also be able to do it by adding ?lightning=true to the end of your meeting room URL and that will force the installation of the Add-in, again without requiring admin rights. Example URL: http://myserver.adobeconnect.com/myroom/?lightning=true

Hope that helps clarify.

#9 2016-07-08 09:29:02

ThatGuyLeroy

So this solution may be a hit or miss but I have found that the browser "Puffin" available from the App Store does allow the playback of recorded sessions. I just copy the link of the recorded session open puffin and paste it in the URL bar. Occasionally I will have to refresh a couple of times to get it to kick in. Hopefully this helps someone else out there.

#10 2019-06-25 15:32:25

Lion

Puffin is going to kao in few weeks...

Any idea to watch recordings on mobile phones and tablets?

Best regards,

José Ramón León Somovilla

Board footer