Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#1 2013-05-16 10:42:23

Outreach Team

Glitch: Freezing of presenter's video and audio

Hi,

I've been running programming for my office through AdobeConnect for about a year, and we've had very few tech problems.

Last night we had a presenter talking (with whom we had tested the software both using the diagnostic link and by signing in ahead of time.)  Everything was going fine and then about 15 minutes into her presentation her video and audio froze.  It would come back again on a lengthy delay, but choppy and sped up.  She also said she could not get the slides of her PPT to advance (I was able to advance them as a host). 

We had her turn off her video, and that helped for a little while, although her audio did freeze again at a couple points and she seemed to have a delay in hearing us.

Question:  Is this an issue with her bandwidth?  Or generally just an issue on her end / her computer?  Is there anything as the host in another location that I can do to clear this up when it happens?  The PPT she had up was not large - it was about 7 slides, each with one image.  We had 22 people signed into the room including her and myself. 

Any thoughts on how I can prevent similar glitches in future would be much appreciated!

#2 2013-05-16 15:19:55

irfant

Re: Glitch: Freezing of presenter's video and audio

Hard to tell. My guess would be bandwidth from the Presenter's end. The best you could do would be to not turn on any other microphones as the Presenter is talking, don't upload any files, disable all videos,  and perhaps allow a couple of seconds extra between the Point Point slide changes so that the slide changes don't eat up depleting bandwidth.

Also, aren't we supposed to see the bandwidth status right from within the Connect Meetings?

#3 2013-05-16 16:17:50

Jorma_at_CoSo

You can check your individual connectivity and status by looking to the top right of the meeting room. There you will see small green, yellow or gray rectangle, depending on connectivity.

Connect status

Clicking on the colored bar will open a dialog showing Connection Status, Latency and Up and Down bandwidth demands.

#4 2013-05-17 09:26:27

Outreach Team

Thanks so much for the feedback, all.  So if this happens in future and I check my connection and it says "excllent," so I know the problem is on the other end - should I just proceed by having everyone turn off their video and mic?  Is that the best way to free up bandwidth on their end? 

Also, anything else I could have done to anticipate this problem?  She did the diagnostic test and we signed into the room together before the session and everything seemed ok.

#5 2013-05-20 06:36:02

irfant

Outreach Team wrote:

Thanks so much for the feedback, all.  So if this happens in future and I check my connection and it says "excllent," so I know the problem is on the other end - should I just proceed by having everyone turn off their video and mic?  Is that the best way to free up bandwidth on their end? 

Also, anything else I could have done to anticipate this problem?  She did the diagnostic test and we signed into the room together before the session and everything seemed ok.

Yes, turn off all sources, unless really needed, which could consume the bandwidth. Remember: All audio/video streams have to travel to/from all connected users who may or may not have enough bandwidth available (especially, the 'upload' bandwidth) at the time of your actual sessions, compared with when they do the Connection Test individually. Try this in next session and see what happens.

#6 2013-05-20 10:28:24

GaryGonzalez

Outreach Team wrote:

Hi,

I've been running programming for my office through AdobeConnect for about a year, and we've had very few tech problems.

Last night we had a presenter talking (with whom we had tested the software both using the diagnostic link and by signing in ahead of time.)  Everything was going fine and then about 15 minutes into her presentation her video and audio froze.  It would come back again on a lengthy delay, but choppy and sped up.  She also said she could not get the slides of her PPT to advance (I was able to advance them as a host). 

We had her turn off her video, and that helped for a little while, although her audio did freeze again at a couple points and she seemed to have a delay in hearing us.

Question:  Is this an issue with her bandwidth?  Or generally just an issue on her end / her computer?  Is there anything as the host in another location that I can do to clear this up when it happens?  The PPT she had up was not large - it was about 7 slides, each with one image.  We had 22 people signed into the room including her and myself. 

Any thoughts on how I can prevent similar glitches in future would be much appreciated!

From within the Adobe Connect room, you can also play around with video quality and bandwidth settings. Click "Meeting" and go to "Preferences" and then select "Room Bandwidth" to tweak the settings. You can also change the video quality by clicking "Meeting" "Preferences" and then "Video".

If high quality video is a must, you can download a custom pod  from the extensions page: http://www.adobe.com/products/adobeconnect/extend.html

"Master Video Control" "Talking Stick" and "tecRacer VideoPlayer for FMS" might be options if you have the resources or even "Podium HD" if you have the know how.

Last edited by GaryGonzalez (2013-05-20 10:29:44)

#7 2013-06-05 13:44:39

jcrow

I am having the same issue. I know it isn't an issue with bandwidth. It has happened in the last two meetings I have hosted - the presenter's screen has frozen. I have never had this problem happen before. I don't think it can be boiled down to user issues.

#8 2013-06-23 09:23:28

snikhil

Also when this issue comes again it will good if you capture information like what happens to your client(Add-in/Browser) it starts showing NOt responding
also is other pods except video are working when video freezes.

Thanks
snikhil

#9 2017-09-21 11:56:05

MSTrainer

Everyone; I read this forum topic with interest as video freezing and eventual voice degration happens a lot in my sessions. I teach week-long courses in Adobe Connect with audio/video for years now. Only lately, freezing video, then audio issues like choppy, or pauses then catch up.
So here are my observations as a tech troubleshooter: 1) my bandwidth is the fastest you can buy - fibre-most expensive and reliable. Never had anything less than green bars up there beside the help icon.
2) Video set to low bandwidth, just to establish presence. Certainly needed in a 6 hour a day classroom when lectures are given. This isn't a radio program and it really is 2017... so video is a must for engagement. Students don't use video and rarely use mics as they don't have isolated mics from speakers.
3) Tried on every browser. Even Edge now (it originally couldn't load the Adobe Connect add-in or Flash Player)
4) Chrome and IE use Adobe Flash Player and the version you have downloaded. Right now, the latest: version 27.xxxx
5) The Edge browser (in Windows 10) uses its own Flash Player downloaded with regular (compulsory) updates. There is a simple switch in settings for on or off. (obviously ensure its on)
6) All hints and other forums point to Adobe Flash Player Settings. So this would pertain to everything but the Edge browser as there is no control panel for that.

So my question to the forum is, why does my video still freeze? I can stop the webcam, then start it again and it "catches up" with a fast forward of recent video changes and then displays current video... eventually freezing again.

This would indicate a buffering issue. Seems the "buffer" gets full, then freezes, then replays on activate, then fills up again. Just a possible scenario.
Any other insight as to how to stop this annoying phenomenon, the please offer assistance. It really distracts from student learning, and also distracts from trainers focusing on content and delivery.

By the way, the suggestions above to turn everything off and use bare delivery isn't an option in a classroom. You make the tool work for the delivery, not dumb down the delivery to make the tool work. Only for testing, but not a solution. (not trying to start a forum war here, just stating that turning everything off will tell you if its a bandwidth problem, but can't leave it that way)
-MSTrianer

#10 2017-09-21 13:38:10

Jorma_at_CoSo

MSTrainer,

Well, that is a clear and well thought out post. Clearly you have explored all the reasonable options and a deeper look is needed. Of course, you can always reach out to Adobe Connect Support and have them help isolate the issue, but I do have one other NEW idea!

With the impending release of Connect 9.7, Adobe has provided the option to download and install the new Connect desktop app for Mac and Windows. The app works with 9.6.2 so you should be able to install it and see if it behaves any better. The apps and more information about 9.7 can be found here: https://helpx.adobe.com/adobe-connect/r … quirements

Jorma

Board footer