Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#1 2012-09-05 03:49:38

**_Cambridge_**

Lag in Connect Mobile 2.0 pen drawing, iOS and Android

We're very interested in the use case of Adobe Connect with *both* a PC connection and tablet from the same user, e.g. a Host or Presenter.

The 'share pod' containing (e.g. a powerpoint) can be maximised on the tablet, making annotation with a pen by the presenter more natural than with a mouse on a PC, plus the slides can be moved backwards and forwards from the tablet.  E.g. the PC can drive an overhead projector, but the presenter holds a tablet in their hand. This works for attendees in the same room, PLUS you get remote access kind of for free...

BUT there's a couple of questions about Adobe Mobile 2.0 and I wonder if others have seen the same issues:

(1) 'Draw' input on both an iPad (probably an iPad 2, might have been a 3), and on an Android (Transformer Prime ICS) was VERY slow to pick up the finger movement coordinates. So a quick circle around an element on a powerpoint slide would be picked up as a very angular quadrilateral or even triangle. At a guess this represents the touch movement being recognised at about four samples per second. You *can* draw smoother circle highlights by moving your finger slowly but this seems awkward.

(2) (this could be a misunderstanding on my part)... with a share pod showing powerpoing slides and Mobile 2.0 I can do next/previous slide using the slide number buttons on the bottom of the share, but the wipe right / wipe left no longer seems to work. Is that right??

#2 2012-09-05 09:12:59

**_gajett_**

Re: Lag in Connect Mobile 2.0 pen drawing, iOS and Android

RE #1:  on my samsung galaxy tab, drawing is fast, and circles look like circles using the whiteboard. i've used a finger and a stylus with excellent results. drawing on a ppt, i see the same thing.  it's laggy and angular.
#2: swipe left right works for me.

--g--

#3 2012-09-05 12:28:53

**_praha_**

@Cambridge: For issue #1, the answer is yes. Sometimes drawing on the whiteboard or whiteboard overlay a PPTX, the shapes appear triangular if you were to draw a circle or oval shape. This is a known issue.

For issue #2, the swipe left and right should work. Make sure the Draw button is not enabled or blue color.

#4 2012-09-05 15:28:34

**_Cambridge_**

Thanks for these comments - very helpful.

Re #2, my Android tablet was in Draw/Pen mode when I first tried swipe-right, and drew a horizontal line as a result - I disabled the pen by clicking the up-down-left-right arrow symbol below the pen (seemed logical) (http://www.connectusers.com/tutorials/2 … board2.PNG) so the pen no longer wrote, but I'm assuming that was ***wrong*** and there was some proper way to exit pen mode...

#5 2012-09-05 16:34:24

**_praha_**

@Cambridge: The link for the image you have included "Hi Welcome", it's a whiteboard and not whiteboard overlay with an image or PPTX or PDF, etc. Whiteboard overlay is when a Host/Presenter shares some content, such as, PPTX, PDF, or JPG, and then draws on top of the content. That's the whiteboard overlay.
So in the case of whiteboard overlay, to turn off whiteboard drawing, you would have to tap the Draw button at the top (no longer shows the blue color). Then you can swipe left or right.

If you are still in the whiteboard draw mode, you can hide the tool by tapping on the tiny arrow button at the bottom of the tool and to get the tool back, you would tap on the same location where you tap the arrow to hide the tool.

Does this make sense? I know it may take some time to get used to the interface.

If you have any ideas to make the tool panel works better or more intuitive, please share them.

Last edited by **_praha_** (2012-09-05 16:34:44)

#6 2012-09-05 16:43:25

**_praha_**

By the way, this image http://www.connectusers.com/tutorials/2 … eboard.PNG, is an example of a whiteboard overlay a PowerPoint slide presentation.

#7 2012-09-06 04:45:00

**_Cambridge_**

Thanks praha for such a high-value response... I understand your second screenshot is a PPT overlay and hence more accurate for this thread - the one I used (whiteboard only) was found trawling the web and I used it as at least it had the mobile draw menu on the right. For what it's worth, I also tried disabling pen/re-enable swipe-next by prodding the '>' button on the draw menu so the menu disappeared but the swipe-next still didn't work (of course you know why..., but I didn't).

Given the particular use-case we're looking at at the moment - classroom with presenter at the front, slides being projected onto a big screen, lecture possibly being recorded so possibly some online and/or offline access to the lecture also - I'm looking at the use of BOTH a PC and tablet for the presenter - the PC would drive the projector and receive the camera input mounted to show the presenter. The presenter would hand-hold a tablet connected as 'host' into the same session.

So while stepping through the slides, the presenter may want to highlight or annotate material, and also delete the annotations to get back to the original slides. To the presenter the tablet actually appears to function as a high-class remote control for the projector.

So for usability in that use case it's the draw/delete/next-slide features that need to be easy. My suggestions would be:

(1) allow a default pen thickness color for the 'room' - thin/black is often not a good starting value. I know this could be customised by the presenter each time. Medium/Red would be better, as in your screenshot.

(2) make the draw enable/disable more obvious. My suggestion (unlikely to be implemented as it's quite a change) would be to combine the Draw, Pen and '>' buttons into a single button (I suggest the Pen) which toggles draw/pen mode on and off and also shows/hides the draw menu. As per mobile_draw.png. Clicking the pen icon both enables draw mode and drops down the menu. Clicking the pen icon again turns draw mode off and the draw menu disappears.

(3) remove the 'confirm' step required for deletions. This is cumbersome when you do single annotations followed by a deletion followed by another annotation.

(4) if the user is not in Pen mode, allow swipe-next (as opposed to not in Draw mode, as currently).

Last edited by **_Cambridge_** (2012-09-06 04:48:36)

#8 2012-09-06 12:58:33

**_praha_**

Cambridge: I misunderstood which whiteboard feature you were using. Now I get it. It's the whiteboard that you were trying to swipe left/right.

In a whiteboard, you cannot swipe left/right. If you need to advance in the whiteboard, you must use the left and right arrows in the menu to advance the whiteboard slide.
On the Windows/Mac side, as a Presenter/Host, you will see the slide number in the whiteboard as you advance the whiteboard using the arrows.

Thank you for sharing your feedback to make the app better.

Board footer