Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#1 2012-07-18 03:21:52

**_Awesome-VFX_**

(v5) Buttons are driving me insane, why wont they just work? =/

It's so simple what I want to do, but Buttons just refuse to work properly.
It seems to work randomly differently at different times of day.

Here's what I'm doing:
I've got a video with my graphics (questions and click-able items) already in the video through 3D and Compositing.
I've got the video split up into separate FLV files on separate slides, and am stuck at testing the first transition/question.
Basically, they just play through, one question at the end of each slide where I want it to pause.
Users should then be able to click any area I've highlighted to continue the animation..
Now I have no problem understanding how the software SHOULD work, it's all quite basic, but the basic functionalities seem to be completely bugged out, unusable.

I'm using Buttons to be invisible over my clickable areas as anything like Hotspots requiring a submit button will not do.

All I want to do is have the user able to click any of the buttons that appear in order to cause the video to continue, but it just doesn't work.

It seems having more than one pausing it adds an extra pause, and ALL of them have to be clicked before it can continue to the next slide even though it continues playing to the end of the current slide when any one is clicked, and even though it goes to a white screen where those buttons are then invisible! Completely insane.. but even trying to work around that in logical ways, there seems to be no solution! And to top it off, after 2 days of fighting this issue, I've come to the solid conclusion that it does actually work differently at different times of the day.

Yesterday:
Testing without a button, the slide would end, and the next would load.
With one button added, without pausing, the next slide would load.
With one button pausing it, it would also load the next slide, though any additional and completely identical buttons would cause it to only continue to the next slide, and freeze on a white screen where all the buttons went invisible, though each one of them still needed clicking in order for the next slide to load, and this seemed to be regardless of whether or not they paused it.. even if only the one I clicked paused it, or if none paused it and I happen to click one!
Also the state of the buttons whether on Continue, Next Slide, or even selecting the right Slide, made no difference in these situations whatsoever.

Now today things worked slightly different before 5pm:
If I have 3 buttons all set to load the next slide, they would all Continue instead, to the end of the Slide, where it gets stuck again, however, after 5pm, if none of them were set to pause, any one of them worked and brought me to the next slide with Next Slide or selecting the slide number, however when any one of them is changed to pause it, completely screwed again.

So I tried looking for a Widget to pause, found PropertySetter. After first using it, Previews (F12, as this is for web) gave me an error message and didn't work.
After removing the widget completely from my computer, reloading Captivate, the error still persisted even though I hadn't saved since adding it.. the error even continued on blank projects! I tried Publishing it to my website to test it, where it sort of played but had some weird jumping all over the place problem, then I tried Preview with F8 which suddenly worked..
Then with 2 buttons in not set to pause but to skip to the next slide, with a pause set by PropertySetter, it randomly worked! It paused, I could click either button, and it would go to the next slide! So without changing a thing, I published it to my website again, where after clicking either button, it went back to the original error of just playing to a white screen and staying there.. then with an F8 Preview again (without a single thing changing) same problem there again..

So I have come to the conclusion that either I've lost my sanity, or I've finally found a piece of software more volatile than Maya.

All I want to do is have a few buttons, and click either one to continue.. is that so much to ask for? I don't want to have to learn Flash for this ='(

Thanks for your time,
Tony Ganner
Awesome-VFX

Last edited by **_Awesome-VFX_** (2012-07-18 03:27:52)

Board footer