Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#1 2012-07-05 05:20:26

**_evp62_**

Re-development of custom pods required for AC9

Hello

I guess this message is mostly directed towards Alistair Lee about the release of AC9. We're excited about the new features...and a little nervous because of AC7 to AC8.

We're on a hosted Connect server through Adobe (emea).  We had to undertake major redevelopment work on custom pods when Adobe moved from Connect 7 to 8. Once we flagged this Adobe were very good to us, allowing us to hop between servers still on the old version to delay our upgrade long enough for us to redevelop key pods whilst concurrently giving us access to 8 for our development. But although Adobe were good to avert a disaster, we feel that we were put in the situation because Adobe hadn't thought through how the change would effect customers like us. For the change to AC9, we'd like a more fomal way of doing this (we registered to be  AC9 testers but never had a response so that wasn't sufficient).

Although we're hoping no development changes will be required to transission to AC9, we would like to request a "AC9 test server for custom pods" that we can have temporary access to check this asap. ie not wait until a trial server is made generally available. And for this principal to be provided going forward in any new AC versions.

This seems reasonable as custom pods are one of Connects main differentiators, and hosted customers do not have control over when they are updated, but changes can effect the service we provide to customers.

Would this be possible please?

Thanks very much

#2 2012-07-05 15:13:47

**_Jorma_at_RealEyes_**

Re: Re-development of custom pods required for AC9

Connect 9 should be able to support Connect 8 custom pods. You should be able to leverage publishing to a newer version of Flash Player (than version 9), but since everything is still AS3, you shouldn't see any functionality changes.

#3 2012-07-06 02:21:56

**_jamesbooth_**

I agree with Jorma, your Adobe Connect 8 pods should work just fine in Connect 9.

The 'upgrade' to AC8 was not just the new user interface, there was a change (much needed / long overdue) in the underlying technology that Connect is created within - Flex 3.5 and ActionScript3, this caused the in-compatibility with some ActionScript 2 based custom pods.

We maybe able to help you test with v9 (we have access to test our own pods), feel free to contact me at JamesB 'at' ActiveC 'dot' biz

(email address not in true form to hide from spam-bots)

#4 2012-07-06 09:05:37

alistairlee

I haven't found any issues with my Adobe Connect 8 pods in Adobe Connect 9 - but it's worth testing since the SDK now supports a later version of Flash.

Please contact me at allee at adobe dot com and I'll get you set up on an account.

(Please note that our US/Canada offices are closed this week, so responses may be a bit delayed).

Board footer