Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#1 2012-03-01 13:08:35

**_elliotrevan_**

Sync Connector/ Sync Messages Advice

I have noticed that sometimes my sync messages aren't being sent/received but I don't understand enough about them to figure out why they sometimes work and sometimes don't. I have quite a few questions?

What is the best way to use the sync connector?

Is there a maximum recommended length for a message?

How does it work in regards to the meeting room, is there a central DB of all messages, is that how the delta property works?

Can multiple sync messages be sent received at the same time from different users, can this cause issues?

If I am using the delta property for every message should I still be using the caught up handler?

What are the best practices to sending sync messages?

Last edited by **_elliotrevan_** (2012-03-01 13:10:11)

#2 2012-03-01 13:14:16

**_elliotrevan_**

Re: Sync Connector/ Sync Messages Advice

Here is an example of a sync message that sometimes fails, what am I doing wrong?

:::::::::::::::::::::::::Message:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

connector.dispatchSyncMessage("add",{title:newItem.title, note:newItem.note,
                noteColor:newItem.noteColor, textColor:newItem.textColor,
                iconLabel:newItem.iconLabel, noteID:newItem.noteID, podID:podID, canvasX:canvasX, canvasY:canvasY}, true)

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::syncMessageReceived Handler::::::::::::::::::::::::

//sync message recvied handler
            protected function syncMessageReceived(event:SyncSwfEvent):void
            {

if(event.data.msgNm == "add")
                {

notes.addItemAt(event.data.msgVal,0);   
                }

Last edited by **_elliotrevan_** (2012-03-01 13:15:25)

#3 2012-03-01 14:26:38

alistairlee

Hey elliotrevean,

Other than the missing parenthesis at the end of the message recieved handler function, the code looks good to me.

A couple of ideas:
By default, only hosts and presenters can dispatch sync messages.  The 'dispatchSyncMessage' function will not run for participants unless you state that it should.  You can do that by adding the following line of code:

connector.allowParticipantPublish("add",true);

You should be able to pass in the array as you've already coded it; I don't know of any length restriction.  You might find it easier to create an array variable and pass that instead, or create a class object and pass that.

I run into the same issue every once in a while where my msgVal doesn't get passed.  For example, I wanted to pass a coordinates object on a map so that I can keep everyone in sync.  For some reason, it simply didn't work.  Passing the indivdual horizontal coordinate and the individual vertical coordinate in an array did work though.  I don't understand why one works and the other doesn't.

#4 2012-03-02 04:23:10

**_himanshu_**

Is this issue also occurring when only a single user dispatches the sync events? If not than this may be because of multiple users dispatching the sync message at a same time.

#5 2012-03-04 11:22:57

**_elliotrevan_**

alistairlee wrote:

Hey elliotrevean,

Other than the missing parenthesis at the end of the message recieved handler function, the code looks good to me.

A couple of ideas:
By default, only hosts and presenters can dispatch sync messages.  The 'dispatchSyncMessage' function will not run for participants unless you state that it should.  You can do that by adding the following line of code:

connector.allowParticipantPublish("add",true);

You should be able to pass in the array as you've already coded it; I don't know of any length restriction.  You might find it easier to create an array variable and pass that instead, or create a class object and pass that.

I run into the same issue every once in a while where my msgVal doesn't get passed.  For example, I wanted to pass a coordinates object on a map so that I can keep everyone in sync.  For some reason, it simply didn't work.  Passing the indivdual horizontal coordinate and the individual vertical coordinate in an array did work though.  I don't understand why one works and the other doesn't.

Hi alistairlee

Thank you for your reply, I didn't know about allowParticipantPublish and that is obviously going to have a big impact if I want this to work for all users in the room. If anyone can point me in the direction of some clear information about the limitations of sync messages whether it is a person or a document I would still be very interested.

#6 2012-06-05 05:22:15

**_LesleyIlic_**

It is currently running from start full blast and will not idle and does not hunt. However, I have to replace the shotty factory weak and cracked stamped valve spring retainers
ring slip

Board footer