Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#1 2008-03-05 12:53:21

**_kildebeck_**

Controlling Flash movie speed in Presenter

Can someone tell me how to slow down a Flash movie imported into Presenter. The movie runs too fast, and no matter how I change the speed of it in Flash itself, when imported into Presenter it runs too fast.
I've tried clicking Controlled by presentation playbar and Advance by user but neither have any effect.

#2 2008-03-06 00:08:50

**_robva65_**

Re: Controlling Flash movie speed in Presenter

kildebeck,

Just out of curiosity...what fps setting are you using in Flash?  Reports from Adobe have indicated that flash anims should be set to 30fps, otherwise, when imported and published within Breeze/Presenter content, the anim will be forced to run using Presenter's default which is 30fps.

I ask, because you mention "no matter how I change the speed of it [flash anim]" it still runs too quickly after publishing Presenter content.

Rob
visit my new Breeze/Presenter forums at:
www.robrode.com/yabb/

#3 2008-03-06 00:18:47

**_sean_at_RealEyes_**

hey rob, I am not sure if you train or want to train Presenter or Captivate for clients on-site (where you really get to roll-up the sleeves with them)?

If you do, PM me about it.

#4 2008-03-06 17:43:21

**_kildebeck_**

Rob,
The animation was designed to run best at 20fps. However even when published at 10fps, it seems to run within Presenter at the default 30fps. Being new to Presenter, I was just curious if there was a way to slow down Flash movies within the program. Doesn't sound like there is?

#5 2008-03-06 23:17:14

**_robva65_**

K,

You can absolutely slow down a flash file...but the caveat is that you'll need to get into Flash to do it, because you can't adjust a swf's fps setting from the Presenter plugin in PowerPoint.  AND there are some ramifications to deal with as well.

First of all, I would never recommend setting the flash timeline to anything less than 30fps, regardless of whether or not it's optimum frame rate is 20fps.  The premise is that the main swf (viewer or config, I forget which) is set to run at a certain frame rate.  Therefore, all other swfs that are called and loaded will run at the same speed regardless.

To artificially slow down a flash file that you've created, simply change the fps setting to 30 and adjust your timeline in Flash accordingly.  Or if you do a little math, you could calculate how many frames you need to add in your timeline in Flash to end up with the same result.  A real quick example might look like this:

(gonna keep this easy, because it's getting late and my math skills suck this time of the night!!!)

Let's say that you have an anim at 15 fps.  Breeze/Presenter likes to run at 30 fps.  A :10 sec anim should net 300 frames at default speed.  But at 15 fps, you'd need to double the amount of frames to make up for the difference.  So you'd need 600 frames to achieve the same net result in playback in Presenter.

But there's a catch...this works for animated visuals...but it does NOTHING for audio.  IF you have audio in a Flash movie, you cannot "stretch" the audio to meet the 600 frame "fix" in the example above.

Bottom line: it's just better to start off with 30 fps to begin with so that you can avoid all the extra hassle.

Hope that helps!

Rob
visit my new Breeze/Presenter forums at:
www.robrode.com/yabb/

#6 2008-03-10 11:09:48

**_kildebeck_**

Rob, thanks. Makes perfect sense to me. I'll give your input a try.

Board footer