Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#1 2007-09-11 11:29:51

**_bwc_**

Connect + Mac Users (Keynote, Flash, production etc.)

Hello all,

Looking to hear from Mac-based Connect users, as people join the forums. We produce a lot of content on the Mac, and whereas Connect is cross-platform in many ways, the production side is certainly heavily tilted towards Windows. The two major apps for producing content for display in Connect (that aren't full-blown Flash CS) are a plug in for PowerPoint on PC, and Captivate, which is also PC-only. (I am well aware of the ability to run Windows on my Mac, I have it and it works well, but I do not consider a Windows app an acceptable replacement for a elegant, usable and powerful native-Mac app [eg Cocoa for developers out there])

We use Apple Keynote for all of our presentations, and we as a company present around the world. It's a fabulous tool, and it exports to Flash, which seems to run fine in Connect, until you click in and out of the room a couple times, where after the whole room crashes to bits.

My number one request is to have that bug squashed. I realize Apple may not be exporting the world's best-coded Flash, but a) that's a problem with proprietary file formats, and b) the exported files perform fine in web browsers outside of the Connect environment, c) its a problem for Apple and Adobe to pow-wow on, not users

#2 2007-09-17 02:13:50

**_philip.roy_**

Re: Connect + Mac Users (Keynote, Flash, production etc.)

bwc wrote:

Mac users: what are you using to make content for Connect?

Sadly, Adobe Captivate....via Parallels or Boot Camps. Would love to see a Mac version of Captivate and a PPT plugin....or at least that bug you mention squashed.

Phil

#3 2007-10-16 13:28:28

**_jbhyatt_**

There's word that a White Paper exists, published in August, that addresses a number of Connect issues for Mac users.

I haven't found it yet, but I'll keep searching....

And our firm is in exactly the same boat as you.

Last edited by **_jbhyatt_** (2007-10-16 13:32:47)

#4 2007-10-16 17:00:26

**_JasonShaeffer_**

I'd love to see that white paper !

We produce everything using Captivate and PowerPoint (sad but true).

My understanding with Flash in Connect is that you never know how it's going to load. Our experience with it has been inconsistent. The biggest problems being frame rate conflicts and Actionscript.

#5 2008-01-28 21:35:23

**_kssplunk_**

I've been using Connect on Mac OS 10.4 without problems until last week when I tried to do video and audio transmit and record. Connect would stay up for about 12 minutes -and then die with an 'unexpected error'. At its worse, Connect would stay up for two minutes and would not reconnect.

It's a bit more stable on safari than firefox, but still we cannot get 1/2 hour presentation recorded. 

Very disappointing. I'd love to hear suggestions on how to debug. 

BTW, for asynch web-based training, we used bootcamp and Captivate. gotta get the work done...

ks

Board footer