Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#1 2011-03-10 07:05:51

**_mobcdi_**

Performance Monitoring

I'm interested to hear how do other On premise admins monitor and improve the performance of their AC8 setups

How do you narrow down the cause of bottlenecks so you know if its actually something you have control over.

#2 2011-05-11 10:13:35

**_Connect_User_**

Re: Performance Monitoring

One way of doing it is enabling perfmon (define your performance counters) on the server and you can monitor that remotely.

#3 2011-08-31 17:14:11

**_TrevorMartin_**

I use Munin to monitor the performance of some things. If you have a fair amount of Linux knowledge you can set it up without much fuss. They supply a Windows node that has built in plugins to monitor HD space, heat, processor usage/speed, memory usage, etc. It also allows for external plugins to be written. I wrote a few plugins in vb that listen to specific ports on the server and display that information in a graph to show number of current users in meetings. It's great for looking at trends.

#4 2011-09-01 12:30:53

**_Connect_User_**

This is great. Can you please provide some pointers on the vb plugins you wrote? I dont know much of VB but can find somebody who can write those for us.

thanks once again!

#5 2011-09-01 15:20:22

**_TrevorMartin_**

I should clarify: You don't have to use vb. That's just the path I took. You can also use python, perl, and a few others. The key to the plugin is the netstat that it runs to check for <server IP>:1935. The plugin is a vb script that calls a batch file for the output. Here's the code:

This batch file is very small and contains the netstat that counts the number of established connections to port 1935 (assuming your Connect server is using the default port scheme). The "count" will be the number of people in meetings:

The batch file is called "attendance.bat"

@echo off
Set count=0
for /f "delims=" %%a in ('netstat -n ^| find "<server ip address>:1935" ^| find /c "ESTABLISHED"') do @set count=%%a
echo %count%
exit

The VB script is what defines the format that Munin requires, return the proper values, and calls the batch file.

The VB script is called "attendance.vbs"

Option Explicit
On Error Resume Next

Dim objFSO, objArguments, intArgCount, objShell, objStdOut, objWshScriptExec, intCount, strOutput, strConnect

Const ForReading = 1

Set objFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
Set objArguments = WScript.Arguments
Set objShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
Set objWshScriptExec = objShell.Exec("C:\MuninPlugins\attendance.bat")
Set objStdOut = objWshScriptExec.StdOut
intArgCount = objArguments.Count
strOutput = objStdOut.ReadAll
strConnect = "connect.value " & strOutput

If intArgCount = 0 Then
WScript.StdOut.Write(strConnect)
WScript.StdOut.Write(".") & vbLf
ElseIf intArgCount = 1 Then
If objArguments.Item(0) = "config" Then
WScript.StdOut.Write("graph_title Adobe Connect Meeting Connections") & vbLf
WScript.StdOut.Write("graph_category connections") & vbLf
WScript.StdOut.Write("graph_info The current number of connections") & vbLf
WScript.StdOut.Write("graph_vlabel Number of Connections") & vbLf
WScript.StdOut.Write("graph_args --base 1000") & vbLf
WScript.StdOut.Write("graph_args --upper-limit 55") & vbLf
WScript.StdOut.Write("connect.label Connect Attendance") & vbLf
WScript.StdOut.Write("connect.warning 50") & vbLf
WScript.StdOut.Write("connect.draw AREA") & vbLf
WScript.StdOut.Write(".") & vbLf
ElseIf objArguments.Item(0) = "name" then
WScript.StdOut.Write("connect") & vbLf
End If
End If

This probably won't make sense unless you understand the way Munin requires input. In that code you will see lines for arguments. Munin queries the plugin using those arguments and graphs the value based on how you define it. Once everything was set up, you can telnet into your Connect server on port 4949 and "fetch" those values manually. It works very, very well.

Here is the URL for Munin: http://munin-monitoring.org/

P.S. Munin is FREE!

#6 2011-09-01 16:28:50

**_Connect_User_**

This seems cool.  Thanks a lot.  Will definitely study Munin first.

Board footer