Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#1 2011-01-19 16:39:57

**_wsipc-mike_**

"Flash Media Server" & "Flash Media Gateway". Are they related?

My company bought a license for Flash Media Server 3.5 but no one can tell me why. Doesn't Connect already have FMS running? Can Connect be told to use an external FMS and, if so, is there any benefit? Can non-Flash media be streamed from FMS (not just Connect recordings or Captivate files)?

You can see my confusion here.  :)

I think the Flash Media Gateway is realted to telephony integreation and is unrelated to FMS...is that right?

#2 2011-01-20 02:29:45

**_Purnima_**

Re: "Flash Media Server" & "Flash Media Gateway". Are they related?

Flash Media Gateway is required to integrate CSP with Connect Meeting, to simplify, to allow Audio communication between Adobe Connect and Telephony Conferences.
Flash Media Gateway(FMG) in turn talks to both Connect, FMS and CSP to enable. When integrated with FMG, users in Connect Meeting can talk to users on Telephony without having to Connect by Telephone.
FMG is not completely unrelated to FMS as it is a bridge between FMS(inturn FLash Clients) and Telephony Providers.

#3 2011-01-20 13:57:02

**_wsipc-mike_**

Ah thanks. That makes sense. I see in the Connect v8 admin settings there is a place to define the name/location of the Flash Media Gateway. However there is nowhere to define where the Flash Media Server is located. This tells my that either 1) Connect is using the terms interchangeably, or 2) Connect cannot be linked to a separate, dedicated FMS.

Are either of those conclusions correct?

#4 2011-01-20 18:52:42

**_Jorma_at_RealEyes_**

1) Connect is not using the terms interchangeably. Connect is built on FMS technology, and does have an instance of an FMS server in it. However, it is not an FMS server and doesn't have all the functions of one.

The Flash Media Gateway is the tool used to link the Connect room to a SIP phone bridge and is different than a Flash Media Server.

2) Correct, the server is not setup to link to an external FMS. There are custom pods out there that are built to link to an external FMS, but nothing in the product does it out of the box.

#5 2011-01-20 20:09:19

**_wsipc-mike_**

Ok gotcha.

So I cannot have an external Flash Media Server, but I can have an external Flash Media Gateway? I assume so since there is a place to define one. Are there benefit of using a separate FMG?

And, just to get me pointed int he right direction, what is the general idea with having a Flash Media Server anyway? Not looking for a technical explanation. I just don't know what makes it any different than a regular media server. I have gone through the tutorials and, so far, can't see any benefit over a traditional media server. Of course, I've only been using it for two days so the answer may become obvious to me in time. :)

Thanks for helping me broaden my Flashspeak skills!

#6 2011-01-21 00:15:55

**_Purnima_**

Yes you can have external Flash Media Gateway. The advantage of it is to improve performance and load capacity if it is running on external server.

Flash media server is different since, it can act as a bridge Between flash clients(Connect Meeting clients in this case) and Telephony Providers / Telephone users.

Traditionally, Till C7, what ever conversation happened over Telephone couldn't not be heard inside of Meeting. Users were required to attended by both Client and Phone if they were to listen to the telephonic conversation .

With C7.5 onwards, using FMG, users over Connect Meeting can communicate with users over Telephone

#7 2011-01-27 16:05:34

**_Jorma_at_RealEyes_**

If you want to really get to know FMS... you should look at joining, or at least checking out http://fms.groups.adobe.com/.

In the end, it is a media server, specific to flash content. It has some good wiz bang stuff in it, though  I'm not the right guy to explain it. I do know that recently there has been improved content security and peer to peer communications. Other than that, I'd say ask the experts.

#8 2011-07-29 08:40:32

**_sarnold_**

Do you have to have a external FMG to get the Video Telephony Pod?  I can use the Audio Bridge to allow people to participate through the phone but I don't see the availability of having a VTC.  I'm trying to integrate our Tandberg system with Adobe Connect 8.  Do we need to purchase a separate FMG?

Thanks for the info,

#9 2011-07-29 12:49:50

**_Jorma_at_RealEyes_**

The hosted environment doesn't have the VTC integration available. If you go to an on-premise solution you could then tie the Tandberg system into Connect via the FMG that comes with Connect.

#10 2011-07-29 13:55:55

**_sarnold_**

Ok, I see.  Thank you for the quick response.

Board footer