Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#1 2011-03-31 08:46:29

**_tsopra01_**

508 Compliance and Alt Text Tags

When producing a distance learning course (with audio and animation) and publishing as PDF using Adobe Presenter 7 - yes, with the latest version - the text equivalent for images (alt-text tags) do not carry over...

Do I have false expectations of Adobe Presenter 7?  Will it NOT display the alt text I build into the powerpoint when publishing as PDF?

If Presenter 7 will not provide this 508 requirement is there a method for adding it to the final published product?

Any insight appreciated.

Tony

#2 2011-04-04 14:15:23

**_kmpalencia_**

Re: 508 Compliance and Alt Text Tags

Hi Tony,

You should not have false expectations on Presenter 7 working with Alt Text.

Adobe outline's how to do it using Presenter 7 : http://www.adobe.com/accessibility/products/presenter/

And it states that "Adobe Presenter 7 leverages the accessibility of the Macromedia Flash Player. With integrated support for Microsoft Active Accessibility (MSAA), the Macromedia Flash Player makes content available via screen access technologies such as Window-Eyes from GW Micro, Home Page Reader from IBM and JAWS from Freedom Scientific. This ensures that text, text equivalents specified in PowerPoint and accessible objects embedded within an Adobe Presenter presentation are exposed to assistive technologies. "

Does your school have this type of software to access these objects you entered? If not, you would simply see the image you inserted and not the al-text. The text will only be shown with certain software that users with disabilities have, or if the image was not able to be loaded.

When you are typing the Alt Text, there is a note that indicates that "Web Browsers display alternative text while pictures are loading or if they are missing. "

I hope this helps a bit.

#3 2011-04-04 14:26:37

**_kmpalencia_**

Hi Tony - And this link is particularly helpful: http://www.adobe.com/accessibility/prod … rview.html

#4 2011-04-05 16:06:41

**_tsopra01_**

Thanks for your reply - Using JAWS (reader) over Adobe Presenter 7 does not pick up the alt text tags.  I have a ticket in to Adobe about it but I fear I have brought them something even they don't know how or if it works.  They refer me to their help pages which, even if followed precisely, don't produce the expected or advertised results - and no one thus far has been able to show me 508 compliant elearning module with alt text tags using Adobe Presenter 7 - including Adobe.

#5 2011-04-07 08:39:59

**_kmpalencia_**

Hi Tony,

I am sorry to hear about that. I wish I could help with this issue! I wish you the best and hopefully when they do get back to you, you can update us.

They only thing I read about JAWS is that if you are using JAWS for Windows, you should turn off the Quick Keys mode by pressing Ins + N in order to use the Adobe Presenter 7 solutions keyboard shortcuts, but that is the extent of what they cover in regards to that reader.

Take care!

Board footer