Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#1 2007-10-04 06:13:15

**_aithentniki_**

How to give Slide Number for Selected slides

Hi

i have been fraustrated with slide numbering. when i add quiz to a presentation I just want to number the slides for particular slides in a acending order..

how do i can give that...

Thank you in advance

NikiJackson

#2 2007-10-04 11:06:25

alistairlee

Re: How to give Slide Number for Selected slides

I assume you're talking about the numbers in the sidebar not on the slide itself.  The number on the slide itself would be changed in PowerPoint - probably in the master slide section.

To change the slide numbers or names on the Presenter sidebar panel, you'll need to click on the 'slide' option in Adobe Presenter and edit the "Navigation Name".  This will allow you to renumber the slide or give it a new name.

slide_properties.png

#3 2007-10-08 04:15:22

**_aithentniki_**

Hi Thanks for the reply,

I guess i was not clear in what i meant by slide numbers. We are numbering the content slides in powerpoint and then adding the quiz(es) in between these content slides at a later stage in development. we want the slide numbers to appear only on the content slides and not on the slides having quiz. How do i go about this ...

Can you help me out....

#4 2007-10-08 09:11:36

**_cloudspeed_**

going to Adobe Presenter > Presentation Settings you may switch off automatic slide numbering..but still, alistairlee's path seems a good catch if you just want to modify labels in Outline panel. If not, sorry I don't seem to be able to get to the point here, could you please provide further information?

#5 2007-10-09 00:16:54

**_aithentniki_**

Hi Thank you verymuch for the reply

I think i could explain you my prob with an example...

assume that i have 25 slides presentation with quiz.  Content slides starts from 1 to 15, Quiz slide starts from 15 to 20, Again content slides starts from 21 to 25. so alltogether its a presentation with 25 slides with quiz.

now if i number my presentation with powerpoint option (slide number)it consider the quiz slides also. But this is not what i wanted.

where as the numbering has to go like this numbering starts from 1st slide as 1 and go on till 15th slide as 15. the 16th number has to start from slide number 21th and that will go on till 25 and that slide number has to end as 20. This is the thing i wanted ....

I hope i made you more clear on this...

kindly someone help me out.....

Thank you

#6 2007-10-09 22:37:55

**_robva65_**

aithentniki,

There is one potential solution to this problem, but it won't entirely solve your need to have disjointed numbering of slides.

One thing that's worth mentioning right now is that you can't have slide numbers start on a unique number for selected slides. The slide number is always calculated from the first slide.  That's a direct quote taken from Microsoft's online training page for PowerPoint.

You CAN, however, ensure that any/all question slides do not include slide numbers.  That process is fairly easy and looks like this:

1. When your question slides have been added to your deck, select them via the slide thumbnail panel in the PowerPoint environment.

2. From the main menu, select "View" and then trace down to and select "Headers and Footers".

3. When the Headers and Footers dialog box appears, make sure that the Slide tab is selected.

4. Uncheck the "slide number" checkbox and click on Apply; this will affect only the slides you selected previously.  Apply to All will do just that: make this change to every slide in the deck, and that's something you want to stay away from right now.

5. After you click "Apply", the dialog box should go away and the question slides should have page numbering turned off.

Problem:  what you'll no doubt notice is that starting on your content slide 16 (using your example in the thread above), the page number will show 20.  Again, taking a direct quote from Microsoft, there is no technique that will allow you to renumber slides, because PowerPoint accounts for everything.

That said, there is one additional thing you may be able to do, but it's going to require a bit of upfront homework on your end AND it's a completely manual process:

1. on slides that need to be renumbered after following question slides, you could create text boxes that have the same color background as the background color of the slide itself.  Inside the text box would be a number representing the page number you want to display.

2. Place your manually created text box over the automatically created slide number to completely mask it.

The caveat to this is obvious: it's something that must be done manually, and should you reshuffle your slides, you now have the added pleasure of having to manually adjust all those text boxes yourself.  As I mentioned at the beginning of this post, the above methods will not entirely solve your problem, but if you absolutely need to have your slides display with disjoined numbering, you may not have much of a choice.

Best,

Rob

#7 2007-10-09 22:43:01

**_aithentniki_**

I really thank you for the reply....

i will go on with the first one as u said....

thank you onceagain

Board footer