Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#1 2014-03-24 04:54:17

Bergdoktor

Migrating from 7.5 to 9.x : Increased system requirements?

Hello everybody,
we have been running Adobe Connect 7.5 on multiple (independent) servers for the last 2 years, each server catering for 400-500 concurrent participants split into ~20 meetings/virtual classrooms.
We skipped Connect 8 altogether, because until now, we didn't have reason enough and back when we did evaluate migrating to Connect 8, we noticed some bugs and issues with memory leaks, etc. Now, due to the ever increasing spread of Windows 8 on our clients’ workstations we started to receive complaints about incompatibilities between Connect 7.5 and Windows 8, delayed sound in particular.

I’m assigned with the task to prepare the migration of our servers from 7.5 to 9.x and - as a prerequisite - to project the increased system requirements for our servers and clients. I have studied the technical overview for Connect 8 including the sheet about observed bandwidth requirements, is the data therein still accurate? If not, is there any more reliable information on CPU/Memory/Bandwidth/… demands for new(er) Connect versions? Any surprises (good or bad) with the new(er) versions?
Thank you very much in advance for your contributions!

Cheers,
Philipp

#2 2014-03-24 12:22:13

Jorma_at_CoSo

Re: Migrating from 7.5 to 9.x : Increased system requirements?

The current technical overview doc can be found here.

I don't believe there are any significant changes, but I'll let those who have made the upgrade give their 2c.

#3 2014-03-25 11:07:35

Sergio

Re: Migrating from 7.5 to 9.x : Increased system requirements?

Something to consider is ActionScript compatibility.   The legacy versions of Connect (7.0, 7.5) supported published content based on ActionScript 2.   Starting with Connect 8.2, only ActionScript 3 -based content was supported.   When we upgraded from Connect 7.0 we went to Connect 8.1, which supported content authored in both ActionScript 2/3.   This allowed our end users time to re-publish their content if they had used older versions of Adobe Captivate or Adobe Presenter.  Presenter 7.07 and Captivate 5 were the minimum versions to support ActionScript 3.  Note: the ActionScript issue applies to content authored in these apps.   Content uploaded natively to Connect shouldn't be affected.

For background, see this post http://www.connectusers.com/forums/post/21384/#p21384

From there we moved forward with later versions of Connect and now run Connect 9.1

Suggest contacting Adobe Enterprise Support to see what your exposure is to ActionScript 2-based content in your Connect 7.5 environment.   Also get their advice on the upgrade path.  You definitely should test the upgrade with production content to see what breaks. 

Sergio

Board footer