Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#1 2013-10-23 13:20:58

mrsjbw

Application Simulation - How Long?

I have a software training that I need to capture and I won't be there to stop and start it.  I would like to set it up with the Application Simulation in Presenter... but I'm not sure how long it will run for--does anyone know long?

#2 2013-10-23 13:40:29

Jorma_at_CoSo

Re: Application Simulation - How Long?

It should go as long as needed, but it is ultimately using Captivate (Captivate must be installed on the same computer).

When you say you won't be there to stop and start it, does that mean that someone else is doing the workflow that is being captured? If they hit the 'End' key on the computer keyboard, it will stop the capture.

#3 2013-10-23 16:17:38

mrsjbw

One more question--if I temporarily installed Presenter on the computer for the Application Simulation, captured the simulation and saved the video to a network drive, then pulled it up on my computer that had Captivate... would that be ok?  I don't think the simulation PC will have it installed, but I could install Presenter.

#4 2013-10-23 17:04:16

Jorma_at_CoSo

You would need to install Presenter and Captivate on the computer doing the capture. Then use the Package function to bundle the source files from Presenter into a single file, then put that on the shared drive. Then use the Unpackage function (in the File menu of PPT with Presenter installed) to unpackage the source files locally on your computer and make any edit/modifications and publish.

#5 2013-10-23 17:06:50

mrsjbw

That probably won't happen then.  Is it possible to download the recording file of a Connect meeting room and edit that and remove the wrapper?

#6 2013-10-24 10:48:11

Jorma_at_CoSo

You can pull down the recording source files by adding output/FileNameHere.zip?download=zip to the recording URL. However, editing and recompiling the parts of the recording can be a challenge.

The screen sharing session will be named screenshare_X_X.flv. It will contain no audio, just the screen share image.

You can then get the audio from the live session through the MP3 (if audio was done through a phone bridge) or the cameraVoip_X_X.flv (if audio was done through VoIP).

Then you just need to figure out putting them back together. The FLV files from Connect can be hard to work with because they use some old Codecs, so you may need to play around with options for dealing with that.

Another solution would be to have a room where only the share pod is on the main stage, so that is all that is seen in the recording and record the process there. Then, you can just use the recording as a stand alone presentation and then link to the recording from the Presenter project.

Alternatively, you could use the Adobe Presenter Video Creator, which records your webcam image and screen simultaneously. You could choose not to show the web cam after capturing and then place the resulting video in Presenter. I suppose this is probably the best option, sorry I didn't bring it up sooner.

Board footer