Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#1 2013-08-19 15:14:02

Tim

confusion about templates

I'm new to Adobe Connect (checking out the free trial) and am confused about templates.

Best I can tell, the phrase 'event template' is used a bit interchangeably in reference to:
1. design templates for the catalog, landing page, emails, etc
2. a particular meeting room template that's called "default event template".

I am referring to the 2nd type of template, which affects layouts, content, etc.

I created a test event, selected the 'default event template' and then proceeded to add content, adjust layouts, etc.

Then I created a second test event and, again, selected the 'default event template'. However, instead of being an empty shell/structure as I expect a template to be, my second event is filled with all the content and layouts from my first event. So it looks like all those were auto-saved as the 'default event template' meeting room template. Which seems very un-template-like.

And I can't seem to figure out how to create additional meeting room templates. The instructions I found seem to just give instructions for how to move a meeting room template
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/connect/9.0 … EAA90F279E

So there's my confusion. Can you help shed some light on this? Everything else about Adobe Connect has been very intuitive, but this has me stuck.

#2 2013-08-19 16:01:12

Jorma_at_CoSo

Re: confusion about templates

Not sure why you are seeing the changes from your first room in your second room, unless you opened the Default Event Template and added content to it.

As to creating your own template, you just need to create a room and modify it to meet your needs for a starting point for a room, then move the room into the Shared Templates folder (if it will be used by multiple people) or My Templates (if only you will use it). It can then be used as a template from the Meeting Creation Wizard.

Just be sure to never actually use the Template rooms, unless you are modifying them to be a more effective template for your needs.

#3 2013-08-20 11:32:09

Tim

Thanks. I think my confusion was based on two misunderstandings about how Adobe Connect worked...

When creating my first event, I selected my content as the "Default Event Template" thinking it would create a new, blank meeting/event based on that template (much like opening a Word template creates a new document). Evidently, it doesn't work that way and I ended up messing with the 'template' itself. It would better if they called it "Starter Event". Plus that would eliminate confusion with the other type of 'Event Template' (i.e. web/email layouts).

Also, since I'm only doing webinars, I had skipped over the "Meetings" area and went straight to the "Event Management" area. But it looks like, before creating any events, I first need to create a new 'meeting' (or seminar?) for each and every live webinar event we plan to do?

Please tell me if I'm on the right track now.... (and, again, thank you!)

#4 2013-08-20 11:46:47

Jorma_at_CoSo

You are on the right track. The Events module is a stand alone wrapper that will allow someone to register for and gain access to any object that exists on the Connect server. So, events can be tied to meetings, content, training (if you have it), and seminar rooms (if you have them). So you do need to have what ever you want to leverage on the Connect system in place prior to creating the event to go with it.

I see how that could be confusing the first time through. Once you get the work flow down, it should become a simple process for you to create new events. The event template modification takes a little bit more of a learning curve to master, but if you create a duplicate template of one of the default templates, you can play around with it until you are comfortable with how it works. Then,  you can delete it and create an event template that will be useful. The biggest thing that tripped me up when creating custom templates for the first time was remembering to 'activate' the template. This saves your changes and makes them available to events using that template.

Board footer