Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#1 2012-11-05 14:15:29

**_pjones_**

Best practices for using the Event Catalog?

I'm looking for some advice on how best to use the event catalog.

First a bit of background. We have a licensed server and use it for delivering on-demand training for employees and visitors. Employees sign in with their company username/password and the connect server authenticates with our ldap. We also have a lot of visitors (students, contractors, etc) that won't have accounts and need to use the registration forms to enroll in training. I don't care about approving people and just want to capture the name of the person that took the training.

My first instinct was to embed the catalog on our website so that employees could self-enroll in training courses. We have set up ldap on our server and our employees are therefore used to signing into training courses using their company username and password. The event catalog however links to registration pages that ask them to enter a login, first name, last name, password, verify password, and email id. There is a link at the top of the registration page for people that have previously registered that takes them to the login page asking for just login/password. Is there any way to edit the buttons on catalog listing to have employees taken to the login page and visitors to the registration page?

#2 2012-11-07 14:12:45

**_pjones_**

Re: Best practices for using the Event Catalog?

To answer my own question:

Even though I can't edit the URL that the catalog buttons link to it is possible to edit the label on the button. I have changed the "Register" label to "Visitors" and the "Event Details" label to "Staff Login". This way a visitor is taken to the registration page to create and account. Staff members get taken to the event details page. For these I have created custom templates for each event. The template has the event banner and then 2 columns. The first column I add a button that links to the login page and the second column has a button for visitor registration (just in case a visitor ends up on this page). I've also added text to each column with login/registration instructions.

Not exactly what I want but starting from the event catalog staff members only have to click two buttons before getting to the login page for the course.

#3 2012-11-08 16:07:21

**_pjones_**

Re: Best practices for using the Event Catalog?

Actually this isn't working as I hoped. Employees are taken to a simple login page but because they aren't enrolled they get a "You are not registered for this event" message. There is a "please click here to register" link on the login page but that takes them back to the long form to register which does have a link for "if you have previously registered with us please click here". On that page users can enter their login and password and the course launches right away. Ok so I think to myself all I need to do is change the button to link to this page but I am having lots of problems.

The link ends with /event_registration.html&sco-id=606260
but when I paste this url into the template and try it the page that loads gets appended to end /event_registration.html&sco-id=606260?sco-id=606260
I don't know why this extra bit is added to the end when a user clicks on the button but they end up on a page that says the event hasn't been published.

All I want is for my users to see an event in the catalog, click on a button that allows them to enter their username and password and view the event. Why is that so hard?

Board footer