Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#1 2008-02-13 08:38:40

**_barry.b_**

why so hard to get Connect into Higher Ed?

for the institution I'm working at the moment, I'm busy building a business case for rolling out Connect across all three campuses... the product has basically "sold" itself, I just need to justify the expense.

... but at my last employ, a large university, they've been slow to even trail such tools and I've heard that they're finally getting serious about Elluminate.

when I quizzed a former colleague his response was that "Elluminate seems to have more momentum in Education circles".

Sheesh! why?

signed:
"perplexed"

#2 2008-02-21 19:34:45

**_sean_at_RealEyes_**

Re: why so hard to get Connect into Higher Ed?

I work with a lot of Universities helping acquire Connect as well as train them, I can certainly add my $0.02 here

Elluminate, with the help of eCollege and other partners, has a lot of traction due to clever marketing and a few clever tools. Simply put, they focus all energy on this market, period.

Specifically, the over-communicate the fact that they work on Macs, which Connect has aways done and something WebEx now supports. They also like to paint a picture that their tool isn't a meeting tool, but a "virtual classroom" - semantics basically.

One of Connect best (and worst) properties is that is works great in any market segment, due to its existing tools and custom tools that can be such. This is bad because there isn't a laser focus on a market, per se, just a focus on bringing the best tool to the market place.

#3 2008-02-21 22:17:29

**_barry.b_**

*SIGH!*

one of the managers here is actually starting to spruike my own evangelism back at me - so it shows he's "on message" on the concept generally.

the way I see it, there's three types of web-based solutions:
- platform dependent (I'm looking at you, Microsoft)
- java-based
- flash-based

having a good look at both the java- and flash-based solutions, the java ones are just not as convenient to get going. "Down-hill with a tail wind" probably best summerises it - ensure the clients have the correct JVM, the server has the correct ports open and there's a spare 20 munites on dial-up to download the java app just to get it going. This echoes some of the woes others have had with Java-based solutions.

but if you're looking for a simpler solution, you can't beat something in Flash, and out of the couple I've seen so far, Connect is the most thought out, feature rich one (not withstanding the sometimes VOIP achilies heel and the occasional woeful lag of shared desktop)

(IMHO) I can see what's needed - the same sort of grass-roots evangelism that's working so well for Adobe with Flex3 and AIR. It's obvious trying to play Elluminate with their own game isn't working.

thoughs?

thanx
barry.b

#4 2008-03-06 00:15:15

**_sean_at_RealEyes_**

Well, the Flex IDE and AIR is free, and developers love free/open source/not MS.

Having those same developers push Connect for its Flash merits,  would be a nice start. Sadly, these types of tools aren't always decided by IT or technologists within Higher Ed. Most of the time is starts out in other circles, where the head of steam is generated. By the time it gets to IT, if it ever does at all (hosted accounts have a way of not touching IT), the business folks really have been sold on another platform.

as a whole, you're preaching to the choir, barry :D

#5 2008-03-06 00:52:06

**_barry.b_**

"as a whole, you're preaching to the choir, barry"

I assure you, anyone within earshot is fair game in my book...

it comes down to the number of eyeballs that see the stuff. surely more eyeballs mean more chances?

example: I was able to turn a user group meeting prize of FlexBuilder2 IDE into developing two (admittedly small) projects for the teaching and learning support section of the university I was working for at the time. One small piece of software adds influence in just the right spot. Next thing you know they're regretting redeveloping a bunch of componentry in Flash8/AS2... (this is just last year, mind you)

But I'm not talking about Flex developers per se, I meant start from the grass roots and use community evangelism.

Actively engaging students and (especially) tutors in using the software. Heck, the idea isn't new: Microsoft have been peddling their wares like this for ages (either with their Academic alliance or with events like this: http://mixoncampus.spaces.live.com/)

AFAIK there aren't many universities who also run Adobe user groups. I know of a couple, but I'm sure it's not many. To be honest, it's me using Connect with developer user groups for nearly two years now that helped me realise  it's value in education.

lecturer: "####. Elluminate is having problems again"
assisting tutror: "here: lets cheat and use our Adobe user group Connect account to get us out of a jam, just this once"
lecturer: "hmmm... so why did we buy Elluminate and not Connect in the first place?"

Board footer