Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#1 2007-11-28 23:09:00

**_Terry_at_RefinedData_com_**

Changing Quiz Answer Text Wrap in Presenter

The Presenter Quiz Manager adds multiple choice answers as a series of grouped items, each consisting of a radio-button plus a text-box.

I'd like to change the width of the text boxes that Presenter creates on the question slides to allow for longer lines of text before it wraps to the next line. However, if I resize the answers, the radio buttons get distorted.

If I ungroup the text boxes from the radio buttons, in order to resize just the text box components, the answers vanish from the quiz manager even if I immediately regroup them.

Does anyone know of a workaround for this or do we have no way of controlling the size of the text boxes that Presenter creates?

Ideas on this would be gratefully received.

#2 2007-12-02 23:07:05

**_robva65_**

Re: Changing Quiz Answer Text Wrap in Presenter

Terry,

This has long been a requested fix...and as you no doubt already know, the formatting of question slides can give you less than ideal results as it relates to the "undersized" text boxes that appear once you get done setting up your question slides.

Additionally, as you've already experienced, resizing the text box elements makes things look worse visually, and heaven help you if you attempt to ungroup the question elements!!!

And honestly, I got this idea from asm0d on the Adobe Breeze Forums, so I want to make sure that credit is given where credit is due.

The *only* thing left to do is to manually edit the question elements and "fake it" in terms of getting the text boxes to expand on your slides.  The downside of what I'm about to explain, however, does introduce another potentially nasty artifact: namely, that you will lose some level of data reporting back to the LMS.

If that hasn't scared you yet, good!  It's not all that terrible, but there are prices to pay when trying to trick Presenter into doing things it's not capable of handling on its own.

Enough chat....here's the "fix":

1) Create your quiz and question slide as you normally would

2) When you return back to your deck, go to one of your question slides.  What you want to do next is edit away any content within the text boxes for the individual question elements.  Let me be VERY clear about this: you're NOT killing off the checkboxes or radio buttons for the questions...you're merely going to eliminate all of the text that appears as part of the question elements.  What you'll end up with are "blank" radio buttons or checkboxes (depending on the type of question(s) you created)

3) Now you can create your own text boxes with whatever content you need to display.

Now, here's the problem with this strategy...

Even though Presenter will still track scores, if you try to call up grades by answers, everything is going to be blank...afterall, you eliminated the text from the question elements!  Of course, if your only concern is using the questions as a way to check the learner's knowledge (i.e., unevaluated scoring), then you've got no problem.  Even if you are looking for graded scores, you could still be okay if all you need to do is track which questions they got wrong.  The real big issue, however, is if you need to track the individual question with their associated values.

Rob
www.robrode.com/yabb

Last edited by **_robva65_** (2007-12-02 23:10:42)

#3 2007-12-03 08:09:49

**_Terry_at_RefinedData_com_**

Rob... the fix is brilliant! Kudos to you and asm0d (whoever he/she may be).

I've taken your concept and solved the problem you mentioned too.

Instead of deleting all of the text that Adobe produces for each question, I simply made the text the same colour as the background - effectively making it invisible. This way, I can add new text entries for my questions with no formatting issues and Adobe will still report the questions back to the LMS using the original text.

If you prefer not to make the text invisible, simply create a "shape" with the same colour as the background and change the "order" so it sits on top of the Adobe generated questions but under the new text boxes you create. The shape should be aligned so that the radio buttons or check-boxes are still visible on the left.

You can do the same thing with an image if you prefer.

It's not perfect (Adobe should fix the bug) but it achieves everything I need to work around the problem.

Thanks for your input, much appreciated. A perfect example of the value of a Forum. Two hundred heads are better than one! :)

Regards,

Terry

#4 2007-12-03 09:07:55

**_robva65_**

Hey Terry!

Glad that helped out...and yes, covering the question elements with similar colored objects as the background of your slide will definitely work.  And so will

However, I didn't go down that path because it would be a bit harder to accomplish if you used gradients in the background.  That would be more trouble than it's worth.

Rob
www.robrode.com/yabb

Board footer