Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#26 2007-11-05 17:05:51

**_pafell_**

Re: Any problems with Connect 6 SP3 via the new plugin?

As a general rule, I strongly urge all of my Connect participants (both within our firm and particularly our invited guests from outside) to run the System Check (the one that's located at [host]/common/help/en/support/meeting_test.htm) to ensure that they have a current version of Flash Player and that they can successfully communicate with our server.  Step 4 checks for the Add-in so it would likely end up getting installed by many people as part of the system check.

I don't want to stop using the System Check (it's saved us frustration with guests' weird network/firewall configurations several times) so telling people to not install the add-in may not help (and at the very least would seem strange to tell them since it looks like they "fail" the system check without it).  Besides, I like the fact that the add-in eliminates the Internet Explorer toolbar which gives us more room for Application Sharing.

As far as I know, the only way to hide the IE browser is to install the add-in.  Is that right?  (I know you can improve the situation by pressing F11 to make your browser go full-screen but you can't eliminate it completely.)

And even if it only affects Presenters and Hosts (who would have the add-in installed by default) that's still pretty awful.  Even though the participants aren't getting locked up by it, if I'm presenting and I lock up they're still experiencing the effects of the problem -- just not directly.

#27 2007-11-05 17:28:20

**_jameslloyd_**

I totally agree pafell.  My post should have said if we could get more end-users reporting the problem we might get Adobe to pay attention.

#28 2007-11-08 02:59:50

**_gprivat_**

On september 2007, we launched Connect 6 SP3 which introduced a new screen sharing codec.  It was released after 9 months of intensive testing on the Adobe internal hosted version of Connect that all Adobe employees use for internal meetings or meetings with customers. It was used amongst other things for all the external meetings for the CS3 launch, the biggest product launch in Adobe history so far.

While, it is very well received by a majority of our customers, we are seeing isolated cases where significant latency impairs the screen sharing or webcam experiences.  We are currently aggressively investigating the issue to better understand what is causing the latency and are on stand by to deliver a fix as soon as possible.

I will keep this thread updated with the progress we make on the issue.

Guillaume

Last edited by **_gprivat_** (2007-11-08 03:08:46)

#29 2007-11-08 10:38:41

**_pafell_**

Thanks for your posting, Guillaume.  It's very helpful for those of us who are making decisions about scheduling system upgrades to get this type of information from a reliable source within the company.

I realize it is a difficult balance to strike as far as what the public "message" needs to be and that it might be different depending on whether the person you're talking to is in sales, technical support, or engineering. 

Thanks for your candor and participation in these user forums.  A healthy dialog between the user community and the product team works to everyone's benefit.

I appreciate your offer to keep the group informed of the progress in resolving the issues in SP3 and we look forward to using the "new and improved" Adobe Connect as soon as it is ready.

Last edited by **_pafell_** (2007-11-08 10:41:28)

#30 2007-11-08 10:58:06

**_jameslloyd_**

guillaume,

I don't see an aggresive response, unless you consider a single response in 27 days to my support ticket on this very issue to be aggressive.

Case #172921697

#31 2007-11-18 16:00:07

**_DanLynch_**

I'm not intending this to be a flame, but facts are facts and facts create opinions.  It's become my opinion that Adobe's customer support probably qualifies as worst in any industry.  Even the phone company isn't this annoying.

OCTOBER 8TH!!!

That's when I reported this and I've had exactly one follow-up from Adobe.  That happened on October 23rd and was initiated by my local dealer.

When considering which platform to use, it's important to know if you're going to be treated well or poorly by the company.  I wish I'd know about their horrible customer support earlier.

For everyone else, if you're being ignored by adobe, don't feel like it's your fault.  I work for a $3.5 billion/year company with 11,000 employees and my phone isn't ringing either.

Dan

#32 2007-11-19 17:15:19

**_pafell_**

Adobe needs to be careful not to squander the goodwill of its customer base by providing unacceptable levels of technical support -- and most importantly -- follow up. 

Saying that a particular customer's experience with technical support is "not typical" doesn't change the fact that for that client it IS typical for them.  I myself have seen a drop in the responsiveness of technical support since we started using the platform almost 2 years ago.  My calls used to be answered by a human being (sometimes on the first or second ring).  That almost NEVER happens now.  I have to leave a message and wait to be called back.  Sometimes several hours later.

Regarding SP3... A few weeks ago I had made SPECIFIC arrangements with a technical resource within Adobe to be notified of the progress of the fixes to SP3 because we are also deploying a group of Edge servers and we'd like to deploy SP3 and the new Edge server software in concert with each other.  I won't share the specific details to protect their anonymity but they have now missed TWO of the dates I was to receive a status update.  When I e-mailed them today, I got an out-of-office message indicating that they won't be back until after Thanksgiving.

You can have the most impressive product on the market but if you aren't responsive to your customers they will begin looking at alternatives.  The differentiators in the web conferencing space are very narrow and competition is fierce.

It's undeniable that Connect has a lot of potential.  Don't blow it on sloppy execution.  Get it together, Adobe.

#33 2007-11-19 17:28:57

**_jameslloyd_**

Out of curiousity Dan, have you purchased a support plan in addition to the basic support that comes with Connect?

Last year I asked a service tech if purchasing support would help and I was told I would still have to submit and escalate a ticket through the first tier support.  But just last week I was told that a Gold Support plan would provide better response.  I don't expect that I can justify additional support so I'll be stuck with the basic level. 

Still, it's seems like Connect is such a different beast for Adobe that they might consider something a little better than what I'd expect of support for making a .pdf file or even using Photoshop.

#34 2007-11-20 07:35:09

**_DanLynch_**

No, I don't pay for a support plan.  I've never found anyone at adobe who seemed to have any clue about how to actually use the product, so paying for "support" didn't seem to make a lot of sense.

I'm assuming that paying for a support plan wouldn't make any difference in this situation.  The software doesn't work.  That's a critical issue which Adobe doesn't seem to understand.  Their software is currently worthless to me.  I've been unable to do a training for weeks.

On the sunny side, WebEx is looking a lot more buffed and ready to go than it used to.  Starting to look like a nice product.

Dan

#35 2007-11-20 11:04:17

**_jameslloyd_**

I sure understand. If I'd known support would be this bad 3 years ago I sure would have given more consideration to another vendor.  I don't know how many people are like me, but my job objectives completely depend on this software!

Also, I've had 3 emails now from Enterprise support (which no longer uses the support ticketing system), so maybe someone's been listening to the griping on this forum.  Still, it's been a long time getting that attention.

No resolution yet - they are trying to duplicate the problem.

Last edited by **_jameslloyd_** (2007-11-20 11:05:01)

#36 2007-11-21 14:14:06

**_gprivat_**

Update on latency issue:
We isolated the issue to a key frame interval setting when using Room Bandwidth set to 'Modem' or 'DSL' that under certain bandwidth constraints actually send too much burst data.  We will push a fix to our hosted platform early december.  We will release a hotfix for license customer in early January.
In the meantime, we recommend that when screen sharing you leave the room bandwidth setting to LAN and try to use the 'Fast Images' option under Meeting > Optimize screen sharing.

Guillaume

#37 2007-12-05 15:32:41

**_jameslloyd_**

Update: On 26nov I got a message from Adobe Enterprise support saying that they had discovered a situation where the camera was supplying too much data for the upload stream.  They plan to patch the hosted accounts sometime in December and said they will notify me when the patch is made.

Similar to what Guillaume says above, they asked me to use these settings (which we already use):
Room Bandwidth = LAN
Screen Sharing = Fast Images
My Connection Speed = LAN

#38 2007-12-06 08:50:41

**_mjmetc_**

I am wondering, do others have the issue of their Connect Meeting users (either themselves or those theys upport) forgetting to turn the microphone on? This seems to be a recurring issue even with training. Even when you go through the audio set up wizard, Connect does not necessarily turn on your mic. And it just isn't intuitive for some reason for people to TURN ON THE MICROPHONE!!! Are there any plans to put additional contstraints on the built-in audio?? For instance, prompt people to do the audio wizard and/or turn on their mics? I've put this in as a feature request but haven't heard anything and am just wondering from other uses does this happen to you? And to the Connect folks: are there any plans to make this some how more visible in some way? I know for the beta there is now a separate "TALK" button which may help but still with the audio wizard it woudl be nice if you got prompted. I think Eluminate has that.

#39 2007-12-06 11:39:50

**_jameslloyd_**

mjmetc, I'd suggest you start a new forum thread - your question is pretty different and probably won't get much attention this deep into the SP3 discussion.

#40 2007-12-06 13:14:41

**_mjmetc_**

Thanks, James. Just to confirm..... So I should create a new forum totally with anew topic? I posted this I think to the Adobe Connect Meeting forum - I thought this would make sense because it relates to Connect Meeting. But perhaps you mean within "Connect Meeting forum" but as a new thread? Thanks! Marybeth  :)

#41 2007-12-07 16:23:42

**_DanLynch_**

Ok, nobody said I had to keep it a secret so...  I've seen the new build of connect and it's fantastic.  Smooth, fast, no pausing, no glitching, pretty much exactly what you'd expect from an improved build.  It completely resolves all of the issues that I'd been having.

Also, and this goes in the "did I imagine that?" bin, I think the audio is better at low bandwidth settings than it used to be.  I could be imagining it, but the audio sounds pretty danged good even at low bandwidth and I remember it sounding more like somebody had dropped a duck down a well.  I'm a little bit picky about that since I work for one of the Harman companies and every person who attends my classes is an audio professional.

Adobe still gets low marks for customer communication during the initial reaction to this problem, but the fix looks to be a very nice bit of engineering.  Actually, it seems to be multiple very nice bits of engineering.

Dan

#42 2007-12-10 14:36:02

**_gprivat_**

We rolled out the fix this week-end (dec 8-9) on our hosted platform.  We will release a hotfix to our license customers early january.

Thanks

Guillaume

#43 2007-12-10 21:14:15

**_cquirk_**

Dan
Are you talking about SP3 or 7?

Guillaume
Anytime on how soon in Jan? Myself like many Higher Ed Hosted institutions do these upgrades during Christmas break. I have been holding off until this has been resolved. I would like to upgrade over Christmas, classes start Jan. 7. I would like to install Jan. 2. Any chance we could get it by then?

Thanks. Cor

Last edited by **_cquirk_** (2007-12-10 21:20:04)

#44 2007-12-11 06:10:45

**_Jurasoft_**

hi all,

my name is Stephan Schmidt and  i'm a connect user of a german company, so my english is not very well. I hope you can understand my issue anyway (we use a hosted version of adobe connect).

We often load up power-point presentations in Connect and in live-meetings there are no problems by using this. All attendees can see them and it works very well.

But in recordings sometimes connect doesn't load the presentation. there is only the "loading" image and nothing happens. Also this happens sometimes if we change between different layouts. It also not happens always we open the recording, only sometimes.

Maybe anyone had the same issue? Is there anyway to solve this problem?

please excuse my language.

stephan

Last edited by **_Jurasoft_** (2008-01-18 02:08:23)

#45 2007-12-12 00:22:26

**_gprivat_**

cquirk wrote:

Dan
Are you talking about SP3 or 7?

Guillaume
Anytime on how soon in Jan? Myself like many Higher Ed Hosted institutions do these upgrades during Christmas break. I have been holding off until this has been resolved. I would like to upgrade over Christmas, classes start Jan. 7. I would like to install Jan. 2. Any chance we could get it by then?

Thanks. Cor

Dan is talking about SP3.
The hotfix release is planned for around mid-january.  One reason was that we heard from a lot of customers that they were in IT systems shut down mode because end of quarter activity late december and we pushed it to early jan.  I can not communicate a specific date for the release, but we will not be able to deliver by Jan 2nd.  Probably more around Jan 10th.
I am hearing your requirements re: update period for Higher Ed and we will make sure we take this into account for future hotfix release.

Guillaume

#46 2007-12-12 14:31:07

**_jameslloyd_**

Hello Guillaume,

I've tested the hotfix on our hosted account and confirmed that I no longer see the 'lockup' that I reported in case #172921697 in October.

It's amazing to me that a server patch could solve a problem that really seemed to originate in the client webcasting comptuer especially since I also solved the symptom with faster client hardware.

Anyway, it is vastly superior to conduct webcasts without the loss of content!

thanks
-
james

#47 2008-01-17 19:08:36

**_gprivat_**

The hotfix is now available for our licensed customers at: http://www.adobe.com/support/connect/updaters.html

#48 2008-01-27 15:24:43

**_Blik_**

Eh, was that the correct link? There is no other Hotfix than SP3 from September 10th 2007!?

#49 2008-01-28 12:15:46

alistairlee

Blik wrote:

Eh, was that the correct link? There is no other Hotfix than SP3 from September 10th 2007!?

The hotfix is the next link below the SP3 URL.

#50 2008-04-08 16:39:46

**_thekiwi_**

Blik wrote:
jameslloyd wrote:

AFAIK attendees are not having any problems with the update since they don't use the add-in.

That's not right - I know of some participants whose PCs will crash instantly the moment they start their Camera&Voice Pod (no hosts, no presenters, but participants with extended rights to use the camera-pod).

But I can count their numbers with one hand (so far), so you're right by saying it isn't epidemic, but these users are lost to me and probably for Connect (generates bad vibes...)

Regards
Blik

We currently have a HUGE problem with participants to Adobe COnnect meetings having their browser crash

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/ … erthread=y

Currently the population base is schools in NZ throuigh our Ministry of Education Breeze Server (running ADobe COnnect 6).

Users access a room, as soon as it starts connecting the browser (MSIE /Firefox etc) crashed with an Application Error.

The short of it all is by forcing open port 1935 on the schools firewall users are able to access OK.  But we have also found that in situations where two proxies are chained together (eg school proxy to an ISP proxy) it also crashes.

We are dealing with Webqem, but at the moment there is no obvious solution outside of close to 3000 schools all having to open port 1935.

PS.  I should mention that there same users, who then access a Breeze 5 room can access OK.

Last edited by **_thekiwi_** (2008-04-08 16:42:35)

Board footer