Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#1 2007-10-09 10:11:27

**_philip_**

AC as a Collaboration tool?

Hi all,

Haven't seen documentation or postings regarding this question, so here it is:

Can you import a Word Document for collaboration between a user and a presenter?

I'd hate to compare webex to this fine tool, but you can do that in webex, and am hoping the same can be done in AC Pro.

From the list of allowable import files, you can import a flv, mp3, ppt, jpg, swf, and zip files.... no mention of word or excel, however.

am i missing something?

#2 2007-10-09 10:30:50

**_Jorma_at_RealEyes_**

Re: AC as a Collaboration tool?

No you are not, if you want to do collaboration on a word or other non-Adobe doc, you have two options:

1) Use screen sharing and grant control of your computer to the other users in the room, use application or window sharing if you have security concerns since the other people will not be able to control anything other than what you choose to share.

2) Download FlashPaper 2 from the getting started link on the homepage of your enterprise server. Then after installing FlashPaper 2 you will have an option in every Microsoft Office product to print to FlashPaper, which is SWF. It is a a non-editable doccument but you can load it into the share pod and then use the white board feature to do collaboration.

Either option will work, you just need to decide what is best for you.

Jorma_at_RealEyes

#3 2007-10-09 10:44:33

**_philip_**

thank you.  option one is really the same as webex, so that is a good thing. I'll be posting more questions shortly.

#4 2007-10-09 17:56:59

**_dotnetster_**

I might open a can of worms with this question!  But, what so bad about WebEx!?  Apart from being more expensive and not being Flash, of course...

#5 2007-10-10 08:01:08

**_philip_**

bad is a harsh word... but one i'll use.

if you are in a locked down environment, I'd prefer to use a flash based solution for web delivery.

Web ex, and AC both have one flaw that makes livemeeting superior (and i am not a micro$oft supporter at all, believe me i'm sickened to say this right now...)  you can have a logical call flow, similar to powerpoint thumbnails.

IN AC and webex, you have either pods or tabs, and while they do the same t hing, it's easier to tell someone how to set up a slideshow, then it is to navigate pods or tabs...

for instance, LM allows you to stick poll slides inbetween ppt slides, as well as share application slides, and you can tell a presenter to start at the top and stop when you hit the last slide.

With AC, you would have to tell the presenter to use the sharing pod, then go to the discussion layout and start a poll, then go back to the powerpoint slide, and then share an application, and go back to the powerpoint share pod.. etc... clunky at best.

Webex, just replace the word pod, with tab, and it's the same thing.
Webex has propeitary(sp?) players and file formats, which are annoying.

Please tell me that there is someone out there who can convert these AC recordings into a fla, so we can edit them in a real tool, flash mx 2004. (or more recent).

thoughts?

#6 2007-10-10 10:45:04

**_Jorma_at_RealEyes_**

The ability to download and edit the recordings is something that may come with ACP 7. We'll see.

The biggest push for ACP is that it is Flash based, as you know, so there is no download required, unless you are doing screen sharing or file sharing, and that it works with any OS, and any browser. That said there is something pretty cool about being on a PC ant getting control of a MAC and not having any issues.

Price is another big part of the decision to purchase a web conf too, but in the end, unfortunately, there is not going to be one tool that pleases everyone. ACP is a powerful program, and is continuing to get better through everyone who uses it's input. So just keep putting your requests for more and better functions, and remember that there is always the option of custom pod development. So if there is something that it doesn't do that you want it to, either go to your Flash dev team and get them working with the API or contact a shop that has a Flash dev team, and tell them what you want, insert shameless plug here.

Lets keep making ACP better!

Jorma_at_RealEyes

#7 2007-10-10 10:49:20

cucadmin

philip wrote:

With AC, you would have to tell the presenter to use the sharing pod, then go to the discussion layout and start a poll, then go back to the powerpoint slide, and then share an application, and go back to the powerpoint share pod.. etc... clunky at best.

A meeting host could easily bring up one or more polling pods in the current layout.  If you wanted to provide this to the presenter (a presenter doesn't have access to the 'pods' menu), you could set up the polls in the 'Presenter Only' area and have the presenter drag on each poll to the current layout as needed.  Then simply drag them off when the polling is finished.

#8 2007-10-10 15:28:54

**_philip_**

Jorma, are you saying that there is custom pods that can be created?  almost like plugins?  Or similar to framemaker, they have a FDK (frame dev kit) in which to build these neat little plugins with.

#9 2007-10-11 12:25:19

**_Terry_at_RefinedData_com_**

Hi Philip,

Yes, you can create custom flash based applications that are completely interactive. Check out our Hands Up pod which allows for tremendous interactivity with users that is not available in the base product.

There are several others available on the Adobe Exchange.

You cannot do this in other competing products and it's the extensibility that really sets this product apart. If you have a particular need, it can be built right in to the product for you.

Unlike screen sharing, custom pods allow for each user to interact with a pod independantly and simultaneously.

We build these kinds of solutions for our clients but because there's a publically available API a competant flash coder can create solutions for you inhouse too - they'll just have a steeper learning curve.

Regards,

Terry

#10 2007-10-11 12:34:49

**_Jorma_at_RealEyes_**

Absolutely,

There are a few shops that work with the API to create custom pods that can be games, interactive content or just something that you wish Connect could do but doesn't. Just get in touch with one of us and we'll let you know if what you need can be done, and what costs you are looking at. Some custom creations are easy and inexpensive and others are complex and costly. It all depends on your needs. We have been creating custom pod at RealEyes Media for quite some time now, and there have only been a couple of cases where the customers needs couldn't be met.

On the whole, the custom pod ability is what gives this product another leg up on the competition. If you want to see some of the free custom pod developments out there go to: http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/exchange/i … &loc=en_us

So let you mind run wild!

Jorma_at_RealEyes

#11 2007-10-19 20:02:21

**_daminsky_**

Terry_at_RefinedData_com wrote:

Hi Philip,

Yes, you can create custom flash based applications that are completely interactive. Check out our Hands Up pod which allows for tremendous interactivity with users that is not available in the base product.

Hi Terry,

I looked at your site, but I couldn't find the cost of the Handsup custom pod.  Also, is it licensed per institution, per user, per meeting?  Also, is there any way to purchase it securely?

Thanks!

-Damon B

#12 2007-10-22 16:26:43

**_jameslloyd_**

Hands up looks like a decent pod - why isn't it on the exchange?

#13 2008-03-17 09:00:06

**_yxc8_**

How do you get Flashpaper on a Mac?  The file that is downloaded from our getting started link is a .exe file that only works on Windows.

#14 2008-03-17 12:41:48

**_Jeff_at_RealEyes_**

yxc8 wrote:

How do you get Flashpaper on a Mac?  The file that is downloaded from our getting started link is a .exe file that only works on Windows.

Hi yxc8, and welcome aboard.
Unfortunately, Flash Paper isn't available as a standalone application for the Mac (I use a Mac at home primarily, so I've already accepted this ;)). It is however available in a printer driver format for Mac bundled with Adobe Contribute. See here.

Further, I am looking into this matter with Adobe personally to see if it will ever be available for Mac.
;)

Last edited by **_Jeff_at_RealEyes_** (2008-03-17 12:42:32)

Board footer