Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#1 2012-01-30 11:40:16

**_evp62_**

Custom pods / collaboration builder SDK - Mobile

Hello

I'm having increasing concerns about the longerity of Adobe Connect. Our service and differentiator to global clients relies heavily on custom pods developed using the Collabration Builder SDK. We are increasingly coming across participants that want to join meetings with tablets - either Android-based or iPads.

Although Android supports Flash now, with Adobe's statement that mobile Flash will not be continued, and with iPads not supporting Flash, we are increasingly concerned that we are heading into a cul-de-sac. Tablets are gaining in populatory fast and with a number of quad core tablet releases in the first half of this year, the lack of custom pod support which has already starting to lose us business looks like it will start to become a bigger issue for us.

Does anybody (Alistair Lee?) know what plans Adobe have to support custom pods in Connect Mobile on tablets in the future?

Thanks
Chris

#2 2012-01-30 13:07:10

alistairlee

Re: Custom pods / collaboration builder SDK - Mobile

Hey Chris,

I'll do my best to answer your question - though I'm not able to comment on the roadmap here.

On both iOS and Android, we're not relying on the Flash Player for the Adobe Connect Mobile client.  The mobile client is obviously a tremendously important to us and we're working on some exciting updates.

The team is looking at ways in ways we might be able to support custom pods in the future.  This is trickier on iOS since Apple's EULA prevents any application from interpreting any 3rd party code (Flash or not). That being said - we understand that this is one of the most requested features for the mobile apps.  As the author of several custom pods, nobody wants this more than I do.

I wouldn't expect custom pod support in the short term, but we absolutely understand the requirement and we're working on alternatives to support them in the future.

Thanks,
Alistair

#3 2012-08-15 11:10:13

**_robnicholson_**

For us carrying out distributed advisary boards in pharmaceuticals, the inability to run our custom pods is a real showstopper. Not just yet but in a year or so.

I know about Apple's stance on this (and that's one of the reasons I regard Apple as ultimately a censor and crippling innovation) but does the same apply to Google?

I guess it's time for me to get some venture capital and write an ACP replacement in HTML5 and JavaScript ;-)

Cheers, Rob.

#4 2012-09-24 10:26:42

**_irfant_**

"I know about Apple's stance on this (and that's one of the reasons I regard Apple as ultimately a censor and crippling innovation) but does the same apply to Google?"

Glad to see you feel this about  Apple.
We have given too much power to Apple. The company has essentially killed Flash to the point that Adobe is not supporting Flash on mobile. It is frustrating to see that even in a powerful device like Google Galaxy 7 tablet Flash is not supported and I have to use some workarounds in FireFox on that device. It is frustrating to see that my Windows Phone doesn't support Flash either. It is frustrating to see too many sites/videos don't work on devices because Flash is not supported.

These are happening because one person decided to not support Flash on his i-devices and the industry has to bow to his whims. We are far from seeing HTML5 to provide the functionality which Flash provides. Until that happens we are limited by the 'app' model to consume content.

Apple will not see a dime from me as long as I can help it.

It should have been my choice to run Flash or not. Anyway, I hope Adobe rethinks its decision to stop mobile Flash support.

Board footer