Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#1 2011-08-17 06:02:23

**_stevebedder_**

Presenting PPT with embedded video

Hi,

I am trying to use Adobe Connect to present a PowerPoint PPT which contains embedded video.

I have created the video in both FLV and MP4 format and used the Adobe Presenter add-in to insert the video and then Published to my Connect site using the add-in with PPT.

However, when I create a new meeting, then select the content from the pod I just get a black screen where the PPT content should be.

I have also tried uploading the PPT directly using the Select Document from Computer

If I go to the content in my Connect administration page and click on the link the content plays OK but I don't seem to be able to show the content in a meeting room.

Does anyone have any idea why the content will not show in a meeting room?

Thanks in advance

Steve

#2 2011-08-17 08:08:00

**_bklaas_**

Re: Presenting PPT with embedded video

You're going to need to upload the video separately into the Connect meeting room. The PPT/Presenter player in Connect does not support the playback of embedded video files inside a Presenter presentation in a Connect meeting room. The video has to be played separately in the Share pod.

#3 2011-08-17 08:11:55

**_stevebedder_**

Thanks bklaas.

Thats a shame, I would have thought playback of an embedded video in a PPT would have been a standard feature.

Ah well.....

Thanks

Steve

#4 2011-08-17 10:38:40

**_dhwalker_**

Knowing that this worked in previous versions I just tested this by publishing a preso with video in the sidebar and on a slide. Both played inside the meeting room just fine.

So make sure the version of Adobe Presenter you are using is 7.0.7, publish to the Content Library on the Connect server, then in the Connect meeting room load the preso into the Share pod from the Content Library.
The videos should play in the preso in the meeting room.

#5 2011-08-18 17:26:00

**_Jorma_at_RealEyes_**

The issue you are facing is that when you embed a video in PPT, you are actually creating a local file path call to that video on your computer. Once you upload it to Connect (and it converts it to flash), it now plays by server rules and can no longer make the local file path call, not that it would be valid for the server the presentation was on any how. So, that is why it drops the video when you upload.

dhwalker is correct in that you would need to use Presenter to embed the video into the presentation in a way that would be meaningful to a Flash presentation. It ultimately packages it up with the final output. You can get the trial version of Presenter from http://www.adobe.com/products/presenter/ and validate that that works for you, or as bklass said, you can just upload the FLV video to a different share pod and show that at the appropriate time in the presentation.

#6 2011-08-19 08:38:57

**_bklaas_**

Thanks for the clarification on using Presenter. That's good to know!

#7 2012-08-22 10:35:55

**_SusanMac_**

Hi All -- just an update to this.  Maybe the piece that is missing for some folks.  When I inserted video into my Presenter file and then published to the Adobe server and tried to use it in a Live Meeting, it appeared not to work.  However, we just went down and hit the Sync button at the bottom of the Share Pod and it gave player controls for the  slides we have video on and all worked well.

#8 2012-08-22 11:01:55

**_Jorma_at_RealEyes_**

You can also find the player controls in the Pod options menu for the share pod. That way you don't have to de-sync the presentation (and the participants don't see the player controls).

#9 2012-08-22 12:10:10

**_SusanMac_**

Thank you, Jorma.  Off topic, but what is the Sync buttons ultimate function?

#10 2012-08-22 12:29:05

**_Jorma_at_RealEyes_**

It enables the presentation (or other Flash content) to be synchronized across everyone in the live meeting. So if you are going through a PPT deck, then it will show the same slide to everyone in the room, at the same time. If a video is playing in your presentation, then everyone is watching it together.

If you un-depres the Sync button, then the attendees will all the the playback controls and will be able to navigate the presentation at their own pace.

#11 2012-08-22 14:38:36

**_SusanMac_**

Thank you very much, that makes sense.

#12 2012-08-23 13:15:26

**_SusanMac_**

Hi -- I have another question about this.  We put the flvs in through the Presenter menu - they were there - we can play and see them here, but our audience of 100 school teachers on the other end are not seeing them - only a black screen!  Why does this happen?

#13 2012-09-19 11:51:19

**_kevinmui_**

Does this process only work under AS3?  I am trying this but having no luck on C7.5 (AS2).

edit:  this worked on Connect 9, but only if the Deck is un-sync'd.

Last edited by **_kevinmui_** (2012-09-19 11:58:30)

Board footer