Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#1 2020-05-20 10:27:11

ggummess

Adobe Connect used to play Adobe Presentations

Greetings,

At my institution where I am administrator for an on-premise Adobe Connect server, I have been directing students to use the Adobe Connect app for Mac OS and Windows to enter the URL of Adobe Presentations, to view the content rather than download the Flash player.  This has been successful until recently.  Now, intermittent problems pop up.  These Adobe Presentations are legacies that were recorded years ago and still reside on our system.  Our instructors stopped using Adobe Presenter to record new presentations when the company started charging a license fee.  But the legacy presentations are still incorporated in our courses. 

Upon entering the URL of an Adobe Presentation into the Adobe Connect application and hitting "continue," the ideal situation is that the Presentation loads and plays.  But

1) sometimes the presentation loads without audio. 
2) sometimes all the user gets is a white screen. 

In the first instance, I have been able to quit and restart the Adobe Connect app, re-enter the Presentation URL, and get the full presentation with sound.  But this does not always work-- it's hit and miss. 

In the second instance, I have noticed that a white screen flashes briefly before Presenter is launched, so I have asked students having difficulty with this to just be patient.  But the white screen does not always go away. 

I have asked the network technician to clear the cache of our Adobe Connect server thinking that will help. 

To conclude, Adobe Connect does support "Adobe Presenter HTML-only and SWF-only" according to https://helpx.adobe.com/adobe-connect/kb/connect-desktop-application-issues.html.  We just upgraded to Adobe Connect 10.6.  So, how do I get these legacy Adobe Presentations to play reliably? 

Glen Gummess, Ed.D.
Educational Technologist
University of St. Francis, Joliet, IL

#2 2020-05-20 16:32:16

Jorma_at_CoSo

Re: Adobe Connect used to play Adobe Presentations

Glen,

I'm not sure how upgrading the server would have broken this functionality, but then again, I didn't realize you could play on-demand content in the Desktop App.

You should probably either enable logging of the desktop App, talk to the Platinum Support team to see if they are aware of this issue, or both. Logging for the Desktop app can be enabled through the steps outlined here: https://helpx.adobe.com/adobe-connect/k … ional.html

Clearly the longer term answer is to actually do an update on these presentations. Adobe has charged a licensing fee for Presenter for at least twelve years now, so these presentations you are referencing are likely due for some refreshing. Even if you do get these presentations working in the Desktop App, it is likely to change from a Flash based experience in the App to HTML with the update to Connect 11. This will absolutely break the Apps ability to show these old Flash based presentations and you'll be left with users having to use any browser that still allows Flash Player to be used. So, this fix really is a band-aid on a much bigger wound that needs to be addressed before you hit a wall with Connect 11 or browser's not allowing Flash after 2020.

Board footer