Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#1 2009-01-05 05:56:10

**_dirkeismann_**

Group management

Hi,

I've got some questions regarding group setup in a hosted Connect Pro environment.

In a current project we need to enroll users in trainings using the XML API. For simplicity I'd like to put all relevant users into a single group and then enroll this group (instead of enrolling every single user or batch enroll users).

Here are my questions:

1) what is the purpose of the built-in Learners group? Do I have to use that group at all? Has it something to do with billing/tracking/etc. or is it just there for the sake of it and I can just ignore it?

2) should I create a new "Training Group" and put the users into that group? Do I need to put this new custom training group into the Learners group?

3) Assume that I create a custom Training Group and add the user A, B and C to this group. Next, I would enroll this group to some courses so the users A, B and C should be enrolled as well. What happens when a new user is added to the custom group? Will he automatically be enrolled to the courses as well?

Thanks,
Dirk.

#2 2009-01-05 20:18:54

**_benm_**

Re: Group management

I'm not quite sure what your trying to do but I can probably answer these anyway.

1) As far as I was able to determine it's a starting point. If you had only a small number of users and you didn't need to differentiate them then you could use this. That said I have never used it.

2) I would recommend creating your own groups for example you might break users up by job function or location. These groups do not need to be put in learners you can just assign then courses directly.

3) Yes, if you put a new user in a group with something assigned to it they will automatically have access to that content/course/etc.

#3 2009-01-06 03:41:01

**_dirkeismann_**

Re: Group management

Hi,

thanks for your input - it works very well now for me.

I created several Training Groups and enrolled these groups to the courses. Adding users to these groups automatically allows them to access the corresponding courses, very nice.

Btw, in my case we use the Groups to designate the selected language, i.e. there are groups for every language: EN, DE, RU, IT and so on. By using a custom user profile field we know the language a user uses and then we can just add the user to the right group by using the XML-API :)

Cheers,
Dirk.

Board footer