Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#1 2008-10-29 19:27:34

**_jturkle_**

Meeting optimization and pod bandwdth optimization

To many times I have had our customers booted our of a meeting or had their meeting freeze up for no apparent reason. Today, I had an flv video file that was working fine just stop being able to play past 5 seconds. Not knowing what causes these random meeting issues is confounding to say the least. Connect support can't find the issue in the logs because as one support person told me "it's like looking for a needel in a hay stack"

While Connect was originally designed to automate the distribution of resources, today's users are pushing the limits with multi presenter camaras recorded video and multiple AV assets. I know becasue I have seen it. They are living what has untill now been only the "promise" of Connect. The problem is Connect is distributing meeting room bandwdth to assetts based on a meeting standard that has come and gone. Connect can't hope to adapt to the unique asset prioritization use of each connect meeting user.   

So here's my point: Why not provide something akin to an optional real-time pod bandwidth readout and or some other user managed bandwith distribution tool so advanced meeting hosts can set their own bandwidth priority. The idea came to me whiel working with one of my computer's after market memory management tools that allows me to designate memory resources to each open program. With a realtime share pod bandwidth readout, the user could manage their own bandwidth resources and eliminate or reallocate system resources to help the meeting run smoother. None of my users was ever told that the atendee lsit was a bandwdth hog or that the dynamic manual entry flash pop-up could bring the meeting down to it's knees, and yet they do. I don't care what anyone says. 

Perhaps this is all just a bunch of Buck Rogers silly technology aspirations. Ok. But I do know one thing, if you don't want a backlash of angry users who are expecting to live up to the adobe marketing utopia  promise of media rich meetings, you better give them some pro-active tools to see and manage the assets and system resources during their meetings - because the alternative is looking for the that "needle in the haystack after the fact.   

Just my 2 cents

#2 2008-10-30 08:05:46

**_gajett_**

Re: Meeting optimization and pod bandwdth optimization

i would guess you are using the hosted version of Connect.  spring for the licensed (self hosted) version.  since the hardware, internet connection, etc... all belong to you, you can do what you'd like.
it would seem unlikely that Adobe would allow users to allocate bandwidth.
most of the things you mention we are doing w/ our licensed install.  i can 'watch' the server at the switch to monitor incoming/outgoing bandwidth, prioritize Connect traffic, etc...
*BUT* all of this is moot once the signal leaves our firewall and enters 'the world'.  the same can be said for using the hosted service.  web congestion is outside of your/mine/adobe's scope of control.  we have found that, more often than not (because we *can* see what's coming in and going out), dropouts are caused by factors beyond our control.

greg

#3 2008-11-14 22:44:37

**_sean_at_RealEyes_**

Re: Meeting optimization and pod bandwdth optimization

This is a good idea, but I think it should be auto-detected and managed by Connect. FMS does an excellent job in with stream switching, and since Connect's core is essentially FMS, perhaps down the road?

As it is, Connect has enough menu options, buttons, and overall tweak points. Adding another function for the users to have to understand/use correctly might be a tall order. I have to explain the existing room and user bandwidth settings over and over to users. The above options is just abit out of touch for "joe-user" trying.

Board footer