Topic: Writing tablet not supported by Connect 8

I have been told by 2 Connect support folks that writing tablets and not supported by Connect. And, in fact my professors have experienced issues with their tablets since our move to Connect 8.

This will impact our use of the platform in the future.

Connect support directed me the user community for suggestions. Any thoughts?

Re: Writing tablet not supported by Connect 8

I believe writing templates are exposed just like a mouse with the pen having special buttons for mouse actions. In that case, I don't think C8 would have changed anything.

What kind of issues are your professors facing?

Professors report that the writing pen fights with them: it will not draw lines, it is slow, and it's worse on slides compared to the whiteboard. I have experienced this in some classes, too.

These issues did not exist in version 7.5. I'm wondering if any one else  is experiencing issues with writing tablets in 8.0?

We are using the Manhattan Pen tablet and our teachers are experincing severe lag, lines not drawing properly due to lag and then the room freezing all together.

Adobe will not tell us whether the Manhattan tablet is supported or not.

We have found that unplugging the mouse eliminates the tablet issues. So you might try that.

I am not sure if Adobe has made any changes since I first reported issues with tablets, but we are experiencing fewer issues now.

It

We, too, are disappointed to find more lag on tablet PC interfaces in 8.1 than in 7.x.  I have to place my stylus and hesitate for a fraction of a second before the contact is recognized to draw a line.  It renders the tool almost useless.  I have found external devices such as a Wacom tablet to be better, but you lose the advantage and convenience of writing on the screen. 
This is a serious issue that cannot be brushed aside.

I suspect that the difference is that AC8 was developed using Adobe Flex to match the Adobe family of solutions and so it might be a Flex issue.

CCWWW wrote:

It

If  a driver is installed for a pen or touch device we get the delay problem on Window 7 computers that are tablets or have

azpeter2009 - I will look up that bug in the system and get back to you tomorrow.

Heywardjr,

I would appreciate your help in this matter.

Thanks,

Any update?  Thanks.

I am still waiting to hear back from someone on the forum, or from Adobe Connect support.

11/30/11:

heywardjr wrote:

azpeter2009 - I will look up that bug in the system and get back to you tomorrow.

1/10/12:  So, heywardjr, any progress on the status of the Bug Report?  Could I "look up that bug in the system"?

I am still waiting....

For what it's worth, we use a Wacom Intuos 4 with One Note and screen share. It's been working well with Connect 8.

FYI Heyward is no longer with Adobe, so we may have to find another resource to help give insights as to the status of bugs.

Yeah unfortunately tablets does not works good with Adobe Connect 8!!

Bug # 2974052 is definitely under scrutiny. Its title is, Connect Meeting starts getting un-responsive if a USB Touch Device is installed in the computer. It results in sluggishness as pods and features become less responsive the longer you stay in the room. After around 30 minutes, it may takes over 30 seconds to perform a task as simple as to toggle the mute option on a microphone. The temporary workaround is to disconnect the writing device if it is an accessory; if it is built into the laptop then you will need to disable the functionality prior to hosting a meeting: in XP: Go to your Control Panel and find where your tablet/pen settings.  Make sure you open the preferences/options that come with Windows and are not from your tablet driver.  (For Vista users click the 'Pen & Input Devices' icon). Under 'Pen Actions', select 'Press and hold' and then click 'Settings'.  Disable this option by deselecting the check box at the top and click 'Ok'. On Windows 7: the Control Panel category is PEN AND TOUCH, then under Pen Options tab, select Press and hold, and click SETTINGS button below, and unclick the "Enable" box at the top of the next screen. Note that closing and re-opening the meeting room puts everything back to normal until the meeting starts slowing down with as the new session progresses.  It initially looked like it was an issue with the Connect add-in, however testing with the variable appending to the meeting room URL: ?launcher=false (to run without connect add-in and simply use the browser) also manifests the same symptoms. The bug is tentatively set to be fixed in Connect version 9.

I'm glad that some work is being done on 2974052.  It's been a major problem for my school, since we installed Smart boards specifically for webconferencing classes.  Unfortunately, disabling the touch functionality of the boards is not practical here.  Has a release date been announced for Connect 9?

I totally agree with jlaird!  We are in the same situation.

Pages 1

Forums - Adobe Connect User Community → Adobe Connect 8 → Writing tablet not supported by Connect 8