Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#1 2011-06-16 11:24:17

**_davidwkelling_**

Quiz Question Submit Button: How to NOT need it?

I would like to NOT have to use a Submit button in a Quiz Question.  I want (well, my customer wants) there to be two choices and selecting one of them triggers evaluation and feedback (rather than the Submit button triggering evaluation and feedback). 

Furthermore, and this is really another issue but the Submit Button seems the bigger hurdle, I'd like those two choices to be graphic buttons rather than radio buttons or checkboxes. 

But lets first see if we can even get around the Submit button.

Any direction appreciated.  Thanks!

#2 2011-06-16 13:28:44

alistairlee

Re: Quiz Question Submit Button: How to NOT need it?

Maybe someone else on the forum has a different approach, but the only way I can think of getting around this would be to create the question in any Flash authoring tool and embed the SWF into your presenter presentation.

#3 2011-06-17 19:59:04

**_redhatperl_**

Yeah^^^^^ Al is correct.

#4 2011-06-20 22:27:01

**_oldkingcole3_**

If you don't need the question to be scored or tracked in an LMS, then here is an easy way to create what you want.

In PowerPoint, type your question into a standard text box. Below that, type your answer choices, also in a standard text box. Use PowerPoint circle shapes with transparent fill to place in front of each answer choice. These represent your "radio buttons." Leave the right side of the slide blank.

Now duplicate that slide twice, so that you have 3 copies of the slide in total.

Leave the first slide alone.

On the second slide (of the 3 that are identical), type your feedback for answer choice #1 (e.g., "True") into a standard text box in the space you reserved on the right of the slide, and set the background color of your feedback text box to match whatever background color you are using in your Adobe Presenter Quiz feedback on other quiz questions elsewhere in your course. Change the transparent fill on the circle shape in front of answer choice #1 to a solid color to indicate that this answer choice was selected.

On the third slide, type your feedback for answer choice #2 (e.g., "False") into a standard text box--again, in the reserved area on the right, and match the background color to whatever you used for your regular Adobe Presenter questions' feedback boxes. Change the fill color on the circle in front of answer choice #2 to a solid color to indicate this answer choice was selected.

Now go back to the first slide and draw an rectangle over answer choice #1 and its associated "radio button" (circle shape). Right click the rectangle, choose "Format Shape." Set the fill color to white and the transparency to 100%. Select "No line" to get rid of the border around it.

Now do the same thing--draw a rectangle and make it transparent--over answer choice #2.

Right-click the (now invisible) rectangle over answer choice #1 and choose "Hyperlink". In the Hyperlink dialog, choose "Place in this document" and from the list of slides presented, choose the 2nd slide of the three we've been working with.

Now repeat this with the invisible rectangle over answer choice #2 and link it to the third of the three slides we've been working with.

Finally, click both transparent rectangles and type control-c to copy them. Go to the second page and type control-v to paste them over the answer choices on that page and then go to the third page and type control-v to paste them over the answer choices on the third page.

When you publish, you'll be able to click either answer choice on the first slide and doing so will take you to the appropriate second or third slide--which looks absolutely identical except for the feedback box on the right. This provides the illusion that the feedback box "popped up" in response to the learner's click on the answer choice. If the learner chose the wrong answer choice, he or she will be able to click the other answer choice right from the current page to try again.

If you take this approach, you will have to provide Next, Back, and Menu buttons on your own throughout the course and you will have to turn off the Outline tab in Presenter because, unfortunately, Presenter has no way to allow you to specify slides that should NOT be included in the Outline--Presenter would include the 2nd and 3rd slides of our three-slide set in the master outline and that's not what we want (because we don't want anyone to navigate directly to the answer pages without first answering the question).

You can create your own menu by simply creating a slide that lists each page. Place a transparent rectangle shape over each slide title listed on this slide and link it to the appropriate slide in your course. Place a Menu button on every slide that is linked back to this master menu slide. Now you don't need the Presenter Outline tab, and you can leave out the internal pages (slides 2 and 3 in our example) from your own master menu page.

You can create your Next and Back buttons in pretty much the same way. I often use the arrow shapes. Then I place transparent rectangles over them and link them to the appropriate slides in my PowerPoint deck. Make sure your Next buttons on compound pages like this skip over the internal pages and lead instead to the first slide following the last of the pages in your multi-page set. Similarly, your Back buttons must also skip over these internal pages (pages two and three in our example). The simple rule is that the only way to get to a page with answer feedback on it is to click an answer choice. Next and Back must never lead to internal pages.

The caveat with this approach is that you don't get any of the code that Presenter would generate to link the question to your LMS. Hence, this only works for "Knowledge Check" questions or questions you don't need to track or score anyone on.

Note that this same method would work with graphic buttons too--just put transparent rectangles over the hotspots that you want to make "clickable."

Cheers!

-Ray

Last edited by **_oldkingcole3_** (2011-06-20 22:34:28)

Board footer