Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#1 2009-06-08 17:54:20

**_cfberman_**

External links in PPTX don't work when published in presenter

I'm a newbie with a lot of questions and a looming deadline.

My PPTX file has links to locations on our intranet that resolve just fine when it's a PPTX. When I publish to a Presenter file and then click a link, I get a message that Adobe Flash Player has stopped a potentially unsafe operation. When I click the link, I just don't understand what it is trying to tell me.

Is there a way I can let my users click to an external document and then come back in to the training?

Thanks,
Cynthia

#2 2009-06-09 11:39:16

**_Jorma_at_RealEyes_**

Re: External links in PPTX don't work when published in presenter

Presenter plays by server rules, which in short mean no local file paths.

If you are linking to a shared drive for documents or resources, you are best attaching those files through the attachment tool in Presenter. Or you can upload the document to the Connect server and put a link to the URL for that document on the server. Either one should work, you just need to find the one that works the way you want.

#3 2009-07-16 13:12:59

**_Daniel_**

Hi All,
We created an 8 part training with Presenter, that is to say, 8 separate Presenter presentations. We created an index presentation that has hyperlinks to each of the 8 parts. For some clients, we are burning all 8 parts to a CD with the auto-run created for the index file only. Each of the 8 parts is inside a child folder (like a sub-directory) of the index content folder. It works beautifully on my machine (vista) and on one of my colleague's machines (XP). On another colleague's machine (also an XP), each time he would click a hyperlink to go from one chapter to another, he would get the error that "Flash Player had stopped a potentially unsafe operation." That error prompts him to click "ok" or click "settings." He can click settings and select "always allow" on the flash player website, and then it works for him. If he clicks ok, the piece just goes on and plays, like we want it to :)
Is there something I can change in what we are publishing that it won't cause this error? Everything is linking to what is on the disk, and does not communicate with the internet, but I guess the way it is opening a new tab in the browser by launching a swf file causes the flash player warning.
Everyone is browsing in Firefox in the above examples.
Thanks!
Daniel

Last edited by **_Daniel_** (2009-07-16 13:14:23)

#4 2009-07-17 15:03:44

**_Jorma_at_RealEyes_**

This is all because Flash was always intended to play from a server, not locally. So having a Flash application run locally will set off all kinds of bells and alarms with Flash. Try publishing the presentation as a PDF (with Pro 9 you can create a portfolio that has navigation to different sections of the PDF, and will run the Presenter content in the body of the PDF), and see if that resolves the warning issues.

They will need Reader 9 to view the PDFs in case that hasn't been brought up yet.

#5 2009-07-17 19:11:27

**_Daniel_**

thanks Jorma, I'll explore this option.

#6 2009-07-21 14:34:39

**_Daniel_**

Jorma's suggestion of the pdf works well, though upgrading to Acrobat 9 makes this challenging to the average user.

Does anyone know of a third party solution that will help us put our content on a disk that will play on any computer? It's 8 parts, about 600MB total, with each chapter building on the previous. So having a "table of contents" is ideal. However, hyperlinking chapters together creates a challenge for the flash player, and the pdf version my be above the head of the avg. user.

Thanks for any input!

Daniel

Board footer