Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#26 2011-07-05 12:49:30

**_Jorma_at_RealEyes_**

Re: Allow Participants Into Meeting Room Without Host Present?

Did you turn off guest access from the server interface or in the meeting room? You should be able to make the room public and then disable the guest feature in the meeting room and then you shouldn't need a host to accept people into the room.

#27 2011-07-05 15:07:11

**_jayknight_**

For me, turning it off in the room turns it off in the server interface as well.  It sets it to "Only registered users may enter the room (guest access is blocked)".

#28 2011-07-06 23:20:15

**_Jorma_at_RealEyes_**

Wow, so it does. Sorry it took this long to get to understanding the problem. I see exactly the same actions when changing the guest access option in the room.

I feel this is something that should be addressed as feature fix/update with the Connect meeting room. Having the ability to have an open room that required a username and password, but not necessarily a host is an important feature of the concurrent user model. I'd put it in the suggestions forum and/or the wishlist on adobe.com.

#29 2011-07-07 02:14:43

**_ssahai_**

I understand your use case jayknight but currently Connect does not provide any such user entry method. You can drop your case at the Connect wishlist on the Adobe site.

#30 2011-07-07 08:40:03

**_jayknight_**

I've actually been talking with some people at Adobe, and it sounds to me like they might be addressing this, but I don't know any details about that (how? when?).  It actually sounds like someone in the "Product" team thought it worked the way we wanted already.

These forums have at least helped me define the problem better so I could communicate it to them better.  Also, this is kind of important to us (especially since we were basically told that's how it worked before we signed the contract), so I've been using every avenue I can find to make people aware :)  Here's hoping my persistence pays off ...

Last edited by **_jayknight_** (2011-07-07 08:40:23)

#31 2011-09-10 20:32:45

**_heywardjr_**

@ Rling "This is getting to be an old thread but it resonates with me.  We've got concurrent licensing and need a way for our students to be able to enter a room ad hoc to meet and discuss things for their online classes.  This is the primary reason we went with Adobe Connect.  Yet now that we've been upgraded to v8 (with just one day's notice, incidentally), we no longer have this functionality.  My experiences with Adobe tech support have been so universally dismal that I have little hope there.  I realize I'm just griping and that no one from Adobe will ever read this or care...but honestly, how I can continue to recommend this product?  Actually, I'm hoping somebody has found a workaround so I can."

I wanted to let you know that I am with Adobe and I spend many and hour each night checking the forums and answering questions. So, Adobe does listen and we do care. I do this on my own time and it's not my "real" job to do this....so please understand that we do care.

Since you have the concurrent license model, you can easily create a room as host, set the security to allow anyone in that has the URL, you can set a room passcode. When they login they can authenticate or come is as guest. Either way they will need the passcode you hand out to control who gets in. You leave the room running. This works great and I use it with customers all the time. You can auto-promote people to Presenters so they have some control while there.

For those that have managed host licensing, then you have limited capabilities because the license does not allow you to hold meetings without being in attendance. You cannot run more than one meeting in reality. And you cannot leave a room running unless you are there. There is a big difference in price between managed host licensing and concurrent so you can understand why the limitation. You can upgrade your account to concurrent and enjoy more freedom.

#32 2011-10-07 15:58:16

**_jayknight_**

heywardjr wrote:

Since you have the concurrent license model, you can easily create a room as host, set the security to allow anyone in that has the URL, you can set a room passcode. When they login they can authenticate or come is as guest. Either way they will need the passcode you hand out to control who gets in.

1. Where do you set the room password?  I don't see that option.

2. If this is the only way to allow registered users (participants) in without a host, then the option needs to make that clear. "Only registered users may enter the room (guest access is blocked)" doesn't say anything about a host needing to be present for registered participants to enter.

I'll repeat: We would like for any participant to enter these rooms at any time.  All the users are registered (no guests).  That first option *sounds* like it does what we want, but it actually doesn't. Participants get "The meeting has not yet started. You will be able to access the meeting once the host arrives. Please wait."

Does Adobe at least realize that there is a problem here?  From one brief email conversation with Guillaume Privat back in June, it sounded like he *thought* it worked the way we want.

Last edited by **_jayknight_** (2011-10-07 15:59:32)

#33 2011-10-07 16:09:12

**_Jorma_at_RealEyes_**

jayknight wrote:

[
1. Where do you set the room password?  I don't see that option.

2. If this is the only way to allow registered users (participants) in without a host, then the option needs to make that clear. "Only registered users may enter the room (guest access is blocked)" doesn't say anything about a host needing to be present for registered participants to enter.

I'll repeat: We would like for any participant to enter these rooms at any time.  All the users are registered (no guests).  That first option *sounds* like it does what we want, but it actually doesn't. Participants get "The meeting has not yet started. You will be able to access the meeting once the host arrives. Please wait."

1. You need to turn on the room password feature found in Administration > Users and Groups > Edit Login and Password Policies. Go to the bottom of the page and check the box for " Enable Meeting Hosts to enforce passcode for room access", and click Save. Then you will have the option to give the meeting rooms a password when you create them or under the Edit Information option of each room.

I don't believe this will change the functionality of the no guest option, but by saying that only registered users can enter the room, it means that only registered users may ask to come into the room or, if they are on the per-approved list, they should come in automatically. Since that top permissions option is a "private" room setting, the host must accept all entrants who are not on the participant list for the room. This has always been the case for the top two permissions options. As to the host being present message, I can't replicate that on our accounts, but that should be the message if you are on the Named Organizer model, as then the Named Organizer (Meeting Host Group member) must be present in the room for it to be active.

Both of my rooms listed on page one of this thread still let anyone in, though I could put a password on them to protect them. You may be best off making it so the room is public and has a password, so only those who  know the password can get in, as Heyward suggested.

#34 2011-10-07 16:15:38

**_jayknight_**

Jorma_at_RealEyes wrote:

if they are on the per-approved list, they should come in automatically.

You may be best off making it so the room is public and has a password, so only those who  know the password can get in.

That first thing does not happen.  "pre-approved" members (listed as participants) still have to wait for a host (unless the room is open for all, including guests).  None of the options allow registered (pre-approved) participants, but not guests, into an empty (host-less) room.

We can't make our thousands of users know a password for these rooms... that solution would never fly.

Right now we have them all open to the public and hope that no one figures out that they don't have to log in to our system first :)  As soon as this gets fixed we can limit it to only registered participants.

#35 2011-10-07 16:22:02

**_Jorma_at_RealEyes_**

Yeah, it is frustrating that the in-room option for blocking guests actually changes the setting on the server, and I would like to see this go back to the way it was in 7.5 and older. Keep making noise about it and we may get that functionality back.

#36 2011-10-07 16:29:37

**_jayknight_**

Jorma_at_RealEyes wrote:

Yeah, it is frustrating that the in-room option for blocking guests actually changes the setting on the server, and I would like to see this go back to the way it was in 7.5 and older. Keep making noise about it and we may get that functionality back.

I wasn't around for 7.5.  We just signed up in June, and I've been making noise about it for quite some time.  There is an "Enhancement Request" with the Connect Product Team, but every time I've tried to followup and see if any discussion or progress has been made, no one gives me any info...

I remember conversing with you about this a while back (earlier in this thread), but "heywardjr" was a new name that seems to be "with Adobe", so I thought I'd try to get him to understand as well.  Maybe he'll respond here and then be able convince the powers-that-be that this is a problem than should be fixed :)

#37 2011-10-07 17:16:06

**_Jorma_at_RealEyes_**

Heyward is an Adobe employee and a great resource of us here in the community. I'm sure he is aware of this need, and may chime in. I've not heard anything about this functionality changing in the slew of Service Packs and updated that have been pushed recently or that are due out in the next few months, but I'll see if I can get any insight as to this "enhancement".

#38 2011-11-11 01:09:55

**_shenglu_**

Thus, if a pre-shared key between the user's password, they can enter the meeting and the external guest user can not freely enter the meeting.

Last edited by **_shenglu_** (2011-11-11 01:11:46)

#39 2012-03-12 16:03:25

**_jmitchell_**

Has this issue been resolved or is there a work around yet? I also need a persistent open meeting room for a team of online educators to collaborate. I know that I was able to set this up easily in Adobe Connect Pro. Since upgrading to Adobe Connect 8, the rooms are no longer available unless a Host is present.

I have been working on this issue for three days with no resolution and I'm getting extremely frustrated.

Any ideas (besides the ones already listed in the forum)?

Jennifer_M.

#40 2012-05-09 13:32:00

**_jayknight_**

I've tried again recently to get any info on progress or whether or not they intend to fix this... and got no response.  Last year I did finally get them to admit that there was a problem, but haven't really heard anything since then.

#41 2012-06-22 12:33:56

**_ericw_**

I know that this issue has been discussed at length here, but wanted to say as another customer that I would like to be able to have a meeting room without the host present also.  As many have noted, we want to be able to have a meeting room with authenticated users only but where they can log in at any time and download documents/see messages that we leave as the host.  I really don't want a work-around or the need to set up a password.

I am not a programmer, but since there is a setting somewhere that tells the meeting room to close after "x" amount of time, it does not seem as though it should be difficult to create a location where I as the administrator could determine what "x" is.  From experience, it appears now to be around 2-5 minutes.  I would have no issue revisiting the setting every month even to keep the timer going.  I also would not mind this being a universal setting for all meetings if it would be easier than having a setting for each meeting I create.  If I don't want people accessing the meeting room when I am not there I will close it.  I don't need the system to do it for me.  If I intentionally leave the room open, I want it open for whoever I set as authorized participants.

Again, I know this is beating a dead horse, but the first post in this thread is from March of 2009 and the issue still exists with Connect 8 which we installed in May of 2012?

#42 2012-06-25 08:51:21

**_RobertPattinson_**

However, when an employee tries to login, even employees who are part of the Meeting Hosts/Company Employees groups, they are told they cannot enter meeting room.

#43 2012-07-02 12:48:37

**_wsipc-mike_**

In reading through this thread, I am confused as to exactly what the desired ability is.

It seems like people are looking a bizarre and somewhat contradictory set of abilities:

1) To have the Meeting to stay open, even with no one present, indefinitely.
2) To conduct the Meeting without a Host involved in any way.
3) Not be required to allow pre-approved registered users to enter the Meeting
4) Not have to deal with any kind of Meeting passcode

My questions:

1) Wouldn't that be a (potentially massive) waste of resources? One could end up with thousands of Meetings, running 24/7, with no one in them. Not to mention possible security issues if someone were to accidentally leave remote screen control on (among other things)l

2) Isn't this by design? If not, what's the point of having a Host? Or for that matter, what's the point of having more that one licensed user? A single Host could set up several Meetings at once, set them to auto-promote everyone to Presenters, and then just open the Meeting to anyone who knows the URL.

3) & 4) Wouldn't these two be universally exclusive?

I don't know of any remote meeting solution that would allow anyone to stroll into any meeting at any time without someone being there to conduct/host. Is there such a thing? If so, it could save my organization thousands of dollars a year in licensing fees ;)

It's entirely possible (i.e. likely) that I am missing the point here.

Board footer