Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#1 2009-02-13 14:50:54

**_uneelaka_**

How to get presenter report to systems other than Connect

Iam a newbie to both Adobe presenter and connect.

I know it is possible to embed presenter files as a part of a web application. Can any one tell me, how to get the reporting from a quiz manager to  go to another system other than Adobe Connect.

Thanks.

#2 2009-02-13 15:41:37

alistairlee

Re: How to get presenter report to systems other than Connect

The output from Presenter can be uploaded to any web server and it should play back normally for anyone who accesses the link.  The "Publish" button creates content that is primarily made up of web friendly HTML and SWF files.

Presenter can also enable reporting for AICC or SCORM based learning management systems (I believe that most LMS's are either SCORM or AICC compliant).  There is a "Reporting" tab in the Quiz Manager that can be used to customize these settings.

#3 2009-02-13 23:22:00

**_uneelaka_**

Thanks for your quick response.  What I do not undestand here is this.

In the reporting tab, I do see options to send the quiz results to adobe connect.

How do I send it to other AICC or SCORM based LMS.  What happens when I choose reporting format is SCORM  or AICC. Do the results of user responses get stored in a file.

#4 2009-02-14 17:02:25

**_dyun_**

Basically you publish locally, then upload the content to your LMS.  Learners then launch the content from the LMS and the LMS tracks it.

Take a look at these articles:
http://www.adobe.com/resources/breeze/p … rview.html
http://www.adobe.com/resources/breeze/p … _aicc.html
http://www.adobe.com/resources/breeze/p … scorm.html

While the articles refer to "Breeze" and "Macromedia" much of the information is still valid for Adobe Presenter.

If you take a look at these articles and are still unclear about how do to this, let me know.

Best,
David

#5 2009-02-16 19:55:30

**_AChemey_**

I'm actually working on two seperate articles that *may* work for you. 

The first article is how to create a Flash-based wrapper for launching Captivate and Presenter files.  You can use the Flash application to control the Captivate and Presenter files (e.g. next slide, previous slide, pause, play, etc) as well as grab tracking data from the Captivate and Presenter files (determine when the file has been completed, the score, etc).

Another article I'm working on is building content in Captivate and Presenter for sending data to a custom database application.

I'm not sure if either of these would fit your needs.  It seems like you have a web application (though you don't indicate what tools were used to build the application) that you want to track Captivate or Presenter content. 

I can try to answer your specific queries here (along with the other folks that monitor this forum), or you can wait for my articles to be finished.  I don't have a release date available.

Regards,

Andrew

#6 2009-02-17 10:11:18

**_uneelaka_**

Thanks again for your response.

I have not started working on my web application. My project is in the discovery phase.

My web application will be built using ASP.NEt and SQL server 2005 database.

I ideally want the data to go to a database so that content can be resued as well as I can build custom reports from the quiz results.

It would really help if I can get any pointers on how to get started in this direction. I also look forward to reading your articles.

Thanks

#7 2009-02-17 17:24:49

**_uneelaka_**

Hello David

I read the articles mentioned in your reply. I also did some initial reading about SCORM. 

I understand that the SCORM RTE API allows the LMS to communicate with the SCOs.

So, if Iam building a LMS from scratch, I need to write the javascript API. Is this correct?
Can you give more details on how to get started with the API.

Thanks
Usha

#8 2009-02-18 11:22:37

**_AChemey_**

Usha,

David provided some links to information about how Adobe Captivate and Adobe Presenter use the SCORM API to send tracking data to an LMS.  It is a recommended solution to use the SCORM-standard because that is one of the standards those tools use to send data.  Those articles are not intended to demonstrate how to build a SCORM-compliant LMS. 

I tend to recommend to developers that are interested in building their own SCORM (or AICC) compliant LMS that they first review some of the options out there and determine how much it will cost to implement an existing solution as compared to building their own solution.   This includes development costs, maintenance, server costs, etc.  It depends on your needs (whether you actually need an LMS) and your goals and even your budget, since there are some open-source LMSs that might be of interest.

If you are interested in building your own compliant LMS, I would start with the ADL/SCORM organization (http://www.adlnet.gov) and the LETSI organization (http://letsi.org) web sites.

If you are interested in building your own tracking system (not SCORM-compliant) and you would like to track Adobe Captivate and Presenter files (capture their status, score, etc) there is another solution for you.  I do not have any documentation available at this time.  It takes me a while to put my articles together, along with suitable example files.  However, if you are familiar with JavaScript, they might be beneficial for you. 

Download a Captivate and Presenter example file from here:  https://share.acrobat.com/adc/document. … f7c84a3ef1

The resulting zip includes an example from both Captivate and Presenter.  If you edit the HTM files that launch the Captivate/Presenter content, you should find a section where you can access a number of properties/variables you can send (or even retreive) from your own solution.

Regards,

Andrew

#9 2009-02-19 20:53:00

**_Jorma_at_RealEyes_**

As one last thought here,

The Connect Training module is another option for a data collection tool for Presenter and Captivate out put. It is a light weight SCORM compliant LMS, but it is also an Adobe built tool, designed to talk to other Adobe tools (Captivate and Presenter)  so there is no effort involved in getting them to work together correctly.

#10 2009-02-19 22:39:11

**_AChemey_**

Absolutely.  I would recommend using Adobe Connect Training for such tracking/reporting. 

Of course, I think you meant that Connect follows the AICC standard.  Perhaps, the overly comprehensive article I wrote (along with a set of JS files and a complete directory structure) on taking SCORM-based files and making it work with any AICC LMS, including Adobe Connect has made it imperceptible to know what standard Connect supports?  Or maybe it's that Adobe Presenter and Captivate work so seemlessly with Connect it's hard to tell?  Personally, I'm biased either way.  :)

-Andrew

#11 2009-02-24 14:13:13

**_uneelaka_**

Thanks Andrew for the sample. I have worked with javascript.  Iam currently looking into your example and how it would work for my needs.

- Usha

#12 2009-02-26 17:05:23

**_AChemey_**

Usha,

I haven't forgotten about you.  I have been working feverishly (in whatever spare time I have) to prepare example files and limited documentation for a new article.  I stopped working on another article to attempt to complete this one for you.  I think I am close and have asked the ConnectUsers.com Admin's to post a preliminary version.  I need to review it before it's pushed live.  I would expect that I have something to review by tomorrow.

Regards,

Andrew

#13 2009-02-26 18:58:25

**_AChemey_**

Wow - David and Alistair are fast.  Alistair uploaded to the Tutorials section before I could even refill my coffee after hitting submit (yes - it's almost 7pm and I'm loading up on coffee).

The tutorial is available here:  http://www.connectusers.com/tutorials/2 … /index.php

I hope it helps!

Regards,

Andrew

#14 2009-03-04 16:57:04

**_uneelaka_**

Thanks Andrew.  I will take a look at the tutorial and post back.

- Usha

#15 2009-04-17 14:15:57

**_uneelaka_**

I tried the first 2 samples and it works like a charm.

Thanks a ton Andrew. This gives me a good direction.

- Usha

Board footer