Adobe Connect User Community
Menu

#1 2014-05-28 22:43:55

Colin Doyle

What machine to buy to run Adobe Connect smoothly

Hi all!

Thanks in advance for your help. I teach online classes for Kaplan through a system built on Adobe Connect. I have a fast internet connection that gets about 25mb/s download and 2.5mb/s upload speeds to all the servers in the US that I test. Yet, I have serious trouble teaching my class in adobe connect. I freeze, both my camera and mic, and sometimes Adobe Connect kicks me. I've noticed that my computer in general locks up during a lot of browsing and tends to have trouble with Flash in general. I have a Macbook pro running the latest version of OS X, 2.4 GHz intel core i5 processor, 4GB of 1333 MHz DDR3 ram, and an Intel HD 3000 384 MB graphic card. I use a Logitech c615 HD webcam.

From what I can tell, my computer just doesn't work well with adobe products, with the Flash player freezing up and sometimes crashing, and adobe connect also giving my trouble. I don't know if it's just old, or what, but I want to buy a new one. I'm wondering what hardware specs, operating system, et cetera would be best for using adobe connect.

I'd like to get another Mac, but I'm open to getting a machine running Windows or installing Windows on my mac. I have a Windows 8 laptop, but I'm not comfortable using it, so I would only want to use Windows 7. Is there any reason I should run Windows rather than OSX?

Also, any hardware requirements that would help, like more RAM?

Thanks again.

All the best,

Colin

Last edited by Colin Doyle (2014-05-28 22:44:59)

#2 2014-05-28 22:57:01

Colin Doyle

Re: What machine to buy to run Adobe Connect smoothly

Also, if anyone has suggestion on what browser works best with Adobe Connect, if any, I would love to know. Thanks again! :)

Colin

#3 2014-06-24 17:45:42

dissatisfied

That depends on what you want to do \. I wanted to use it for recording and uploading to youtube and due to buggy adobe connect add-in, nothing works (brauwser or windows 7 or 8). The problem is with add-in

#4 2014-06-25 10:11:45

Jorma_at_CoSo

I would recommend going with any computer that meets or exceeds the specifications listed on the Connect Product page. This won't be hard, but should get you pointed in the right direction.

As to browsers, Chrome has been hit or miss due to Google's ability to update/change it at will. So occasionally something has changed that has caused an issue with out it uses Flash and caused problems in Connect. IE is IE, but has seemed to work with Connect without issue for quite some time. Fire Fox has been a stable browser for working with Connect. Safari has also been a good browser, with one recent hiccup, but mostly that is seen on Mac OS platforms.

I have used Windows 7 and 8 (8.1) for years now with few issues. Mac OSX is fine now, though version changes seem to cause some issues. However, you should be able to use either OS successfully.

FWIW, more RAM will almost always result in a better running computer. Your tech specs don't sound like they are outside of what should work.

#5 2014-06-25 10:12:44

Jorma_at_CoSo

dissatisfied wrote:

That depends on what you want to do \. I wanted to use it for recording and uploading to youtube and due to buggy adobe connect add-in, nothing works (brauwser or windows 7 or 8). The problem is with add-in

I'm not sure that your desired work flow is one that is intended for Connect. However, what issue are you running into with the add-in?

#6 2014-07-01 14:06:24

clewis

I've hosted a lot of meetings and seminars on both Mac and Windows (7 and 8.1), and I've had a couple of those issues, Colin.  Looking at the Mac specs, I'd suspect VRAM is the culprit.  If you're looking to go with another Mac, look for one with 512 or higher graphics and/or a dedicated NVidea or ATi card instead of just the integrated Intel HD.  Also when you're hosting, are you running wired or wireless?  Even though you have a 25 down pipe coming in wired, your wireless signal is going to be a percentage of that based on number of connected devices and wireless spectrum used. 
Also, as Jorma stated, Firefox seems to work the best with regards to Connect hosting, with or without the Add-in.  Just make sure the Flash plugin is up to date. 
With regards to the add-in, I've never seen those issues with recording.  Record the meeting, export to flv, and upload to Youtube.  Better yet, start your meeting, record your screen and audio with Camtasia or Captivate and export the recording or edited copy to Youtube.  You're not using the meeting content for Youtube anyway, so you might as well record to a higher resolution than what the exported flv will allow.  $.02

Board footer